Hi. My name is Brian and I am a motor oil hoarding addict.

I don't do my own oil changes anymore . I keep enough around to take care of my OPE .

The guy that has 250 qt on hand to change 3 cars, 2 trucks, a tractor, lawn tools, boat, two motorcycles and an ATV roughly four times is not a hoarder. Now if you have 2000 qt or so on hand to change them 32 times well....

The guy that has 250 qt on hand to change 3 cars, 2 trucks, a tractor, lawn tools, boat, two motorcycles and an ATV roughly four times is not a hoarder. Now if you have 2000 qt or so on hand to change them 32 times well....
Thank you Gene K for the reality check.

I'm not regretting the ~600 quarts and 60+ filters I have stashed with roughly the same list of vehicles.(y)

Some people have oil in the foyer and tires in their bathtub.

I just use my attic as backstock and keep an oil change per car on the shelf in the garage.
Just curious, have you made accommodation in your attic for any containers that might leak?

Last edited:
My wife thinks I'm crazy every time I buy oil cuz it was a good price. I usually only keep 20 to 30 quarts on hand for two vehicles. She really thought I was nuts when the big Rock Auto box showed up with 20 oil filters for my Focus. And I was able to sneak a 12 quart box of Mobil 1HM 5w30 when I was at Walmart last night buying pull-ups. She doesn't know about that one yet. I will continue buying when I see a good deal, oil prices are going to keep going up.
I've noticed that M1 prices have dropped somewhat from their recent peak..

I've 4 five qt. jugs (2 0W-20, 2 5W-30, 1 0W-40) and a 6 pack of qts.(0W-30) and a single 0W-40 qt. That's 27 quarts.
A 6 car care rotation became 4. I've only 8 filters on hand (covering those 4 cars).

Truly the only mass buying I ever did was for MaxLife Dex/Merc LV Transmission fluid when AutoZone rewarded 5 $20 purchases with $20.
Two gallons of the ATF cost $21 during a sale. I bought 5 pair and got another pair free.
I knew at the time I'd be cleansing several trannies.
Likely the best working of a sale scheme I've ever done.
Hats off to the guys here who hoard top shelf synthetic oils at 23 cents a quart. Or is that too high?

+1 on the leakage heads up. Plastic jugs do fail.

Last count was about 65 gallons approximately plus around 5-10 gallons in quarts. About 20 gallons 15-40 mostly traveller from a sale they had at like 6.00 a gallon. 16 gallons of chevron supreme 5-30 for the chevys in my family. 8 gallons of 0w40 for my utv and grandpas atv. 13 gallons of 5w-20 mostly from the cheap boxes of mobil 1 from walmart clearance. Few gallons of atf and about 6 gallons of 2 stroke oil. Probably around 30 filters for everything I service.

About 35 bucks to change the oil using traveller 15w-40 and a fl-1995 from walmart in my ford. Unsure of what this would actually cost at a shop probably over 100.
About 8 bucks to change the aveos oil with cheap chevron supreme and a fram fps3980. Probably 35 bucks at a shop?
Too lazy to do rebates and haven't had good luck doing them in the past. Feel like I'm always late to a deal but the 5 dollar chevron and 6 dollar traveller are pretty decent in my eyes.

I depleted my previous stash during a garage bail out. Began a new stash when I saw oil prices were creeping upwards. Others must have seen it too. The local Walmart is depleted of most ST oils. I have been making trips to NAPA and taking advantage of prices on the blend oil they sell. I don't buy a lot. I get just enough for one more oil change on the F150. Then I go back next week to get some more when the next check arrives. I am hoping to get enough to last me into 2024. I am looking at my oil filter stash and I think it is time to build it up now too. I can't get my Motorcraft filters at Walmart now so I think I will look at other sources. I use ST on my Nissan Versa Note so ST is going to be used for that stash. I am going to check with Amazon for the Ford filters. I calculate I have enough oil for the year on both vehicles so far.

Maybe not, but, I got a jug of Napa FS 5w30 for $12 just a few months ago.
Yeah that is a glitch for sure! Just wow. Nice score.
Just picked up 2 jugs of that $12 NAPA 5W30 the other day (akin to Valvoline White Bottle). It's hard to pass up that deal -- especially in Alaska. My old Silverado will like it. :)

Last edited:
Too bad this thread got locked. It got up to 37875 quarts of oil before being locked.

Not seeing a problem here.
249909E5-9080-4F29-8BAA-50EA424AB9CE.jpeg

I don't ever pre-buy more than one oil change per car. For me, that's about 15 qts max that I'd ever be sitting on at a time. Too many variables to stock up, even if there is a bargain to be had.

Too bad this thread got locked. It got up to 37875 quarts of oil before being locked.

That’s over 902 barrels of finished oil products!

Back