Havoline Deposit Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of the new Havoline with Deposit Shield. At first I thought this was great, then I compare the new Havoline spec with the older one. Its just marketing. I see that in most cases the new specs aren't as good as the old ones. Flash point has went way down (from 450f to 401f) as have others. Thoughts? Is there some new magic that the specs don't show? Castrol keep talking up its sludge control oil also...the specs show nothing great. You can look up the spec at www.chevron-lubricants.com and look for the link...then search for Havoline....click on the Havoline with Deposit Shield

I think it's a better oil. Improved detergency and shear stable VI. I noticed the the flash point but it's not the actual flash. Mobil 1's flash points show 396F also, same with Synergyn in the MSDS. It's the thinnest 20wt too @ 8.0 cSt 100C. It's tough to beat Havoline.

All this marketing #@$%! has driven me to just stick with what I new best when I first began driving. Valvoline All Climate.. Weak, #@$%! additive pack, but yet to see a bad UOA when using a reasonable OCI on the stuff.

No, not just marketing, Deposit Shield is definitely new technology.

Here is a snapshot of the recently run 5W-30 VOA analysis:

Moly 226
Boron 72ppm
Calcium 1860
Mag 41
Phos 778
Zinc 886
All Other Metallics Vis @ 100 9.6
Vis @ 40 59.7
VI 144
TBN 2896 8.55

Moly was reduced, calcium increased, and a substantial quantity of magnesium was added. We usually don’t see many moly-boron formulations with significant mag levels.

The 100C viscosity, for both 5W-30 & 10W-30 is 9.7 per the data sheet. To me, this indicates a switch to a new, high quality VI improver with shear resistance.

As far as flash point, yes, 200C(392F) is low compared to the same PDS number of other brands. But remember, flashpoint can be misleading as one of the additives may be vaporizing & igniting and producing a lower flash while the formulation still makes a decent Noack Volatility rating.

What I’m really curious about & waiting for is an explanation of how the “Deposit Shield” detergent/dispersancy functions work.
smile.gif

speaking of the 100C viscosity...is it the higher the number the better...or lower? I thought higher was.

Quote:

I think it's a better oil. Improved detergency and shear stable VI. I noticed the the flash point but it's not the actual flash. Mobil 1's flash points show 396F also, same with Synergyn in the MSDS. It's the thinnest 20wt too @ 8.0 cSt 100C. It's tough to beat Havoline.

This is not so, at least not on Mobil's site. This is the spec for flash on Mobil's web site: 224 degree Celsius = 435.2 degree Fahrenheit

I actually also have it in MiL's I-5 Audi in a 50/50 mix of 5w-30 and 10w-40. Car is new to me, so it's hard to report on subjective feel. I opted for it for cleaning with the high Ca.

Blue99, can you post a direct link to the new data sheets for Deposit Shield? I can only find the old data listing Havoline 10W-30 being 10.8 cSt @ 100C.

Thanks
patriot.gif

Quote:

Blue99, can you post a direct link to the new data sheets for Deposit Shield? I can only find the old data listing Havoline 10W-30 being 10.8 cSt @ 100C.

Thanks
patriot.gif

I've tried and it doesn't work. Just go to the link at the start of this post. When you search for Havoline, Deposit Shield is at the bottom.

Please be carefull when comparing flashpoint.Tech data will show one of 2 clevland open cup tests,one being ASTM D-92.The other test will be ASTM-93 & they will show different flashpoints.There is a spread in temp readings between tests.

That's weird, at their site they're only listing the Deposit Shield in the blend and only in 5W-30, 10W-30 grades. I was curious as to whether their 10W-40 had gotten thinner too.

Quote:

It's too new! Check back in the UOA forum in a couple of months for analysis & member responses.

I don't understand the reasoning behind changing their formulation but just as sure as we try to slay this oil it will start bringing in UOAs that are unbelievable. I think we can all agree that it will have to be good to surpass the old formula.
coffee.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back