GTX Full Synthetic appears to be replacing GTX Magnatec (per marketing material)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
1640198708199.jpg

1640198750868.jpg

1640198852968.jpg

The one thing about Magnatec I didn’t like was it seemed noisy on cold morning starts. Was smooth and silent in hot weather. QSUD/FS is always silent on cold morning starts. Maybe the high moly in QS??

This has already started rolling out to stores. It seems to be Castrol rebranding Magnatec as an answer to the new Pennzoil Full Synthetic (black label) to make it seem like an easier switch for those that are loyal to the conventional Castrol GTX line.

Wow, I picked up on/learned about a couple things about synthetic oil brand tiers today. I was under the impression the black bottle Castrol was/is superior to the Gold bottle. According to the marketing doesn't seem so. As for topic, been couple threads (one involving Amazon) that have alluded to if not stated the supersession of Magnatec with GTX Full Syn. I thought the latter advertising was "4x better" (at something) not 6x ( at something) like Magnatec. But, I might be mistaken somewhere in that assertion.

Also like previous poster noted, the new-ish Pennzoil Full Syn, this AM I mistook it for PP with a quick look seeing it for sale a WM with a decent and lower jug price. Then after looking closer saw black label PFS is not same as PP. Who knew, not me. Best I could tell, PFS unlike PP and PUP is NOT made from natural gas.

Hard to keep up.

Last edited:
@Sayjac
Yes, that is correct. Edge (Gold) is higher tier than Edge (Black)
The thing with Pennzoil Full Synthetic, other than no mention of GTL, is that of the three new "Full Synthetics".....

-Mobil Full Synthetic
-GTX Full Synthetic
-Pennzoil Full Synthetic

....the only one that doesn't carry dexos certification (to this date) is the Pennzoil.

Last time I bought Magnatec at Wal-Mart the bottle said Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-30 Full Synthetic and not blend.

Marketing may have invested a lot of $ on Magnatec to get rid of it. The magnets get weaker over time however!

It was bound to happen - but there’s too much brand equity with GTX, Castrol knows this. And it just makes sense to offer synthetic 0W-20 which is what a majority of new cars is using.

Now, when someone goes to a quick lube or a shop/dealership that pours Castrol, they’ll sleep better at night.

I've used Magnatec the oil, it's a good product, but I've never liked the name.

These changes look good to me, two levels of GTX and two levels of Edge.

Back