Mobil 1 Marketing Material

I was buying some Mobile 1 and I saw this comparison chart. What I found interesting is that Vanilla M1 is 3 stars for sludge protection and 2 starts for high temperature protection. AFE is inverse of that, 2 stars for sludge protection and 3 starts for high temperature protection.

Does AFE actually offer better high temp protection at the expense of sludge protection?

Does this chart make any sense or it's just marketing nonsense?

mobil1 marketing.jpg

Interesting that EP is only good for 25K KM (15,500 miles) in Canada, but is good for 20,000 miles down here in the USA? Guess the Corolla in my sig, running M1 5W20 HM, is getting lousy mileage of ~42 MPG highway? This is a bunch of marketing hooey… UOA is your friend-THAT will tell you how your engine & oil are doing, not how many “stars” an advertisement has!

Interesting that EP is only good for 25K KM (15,500 miles) in Canada, but is good for 20,000 miles down here in the USA? Guess the Corolla in my sig, running M1 5W20 HM, is getting lousy mileage of ~42 MPG highway? This is a bunch of marketing hooey… UOA is your friend-THAT will tell you how your engine & oil are doing, not how many “stars” an advertisement has!
Mobil is the King of Advertisement! They are not so good at math... Or Astrology. Well, maybe they are, maybe they are just so fussy about the harsh weather north of the 49th that they feel the fluid should be changed out a little earlier. Or, maybe they are trying to recoup some of the higher operating costs from conducting business north of the 49th? lol

Accordong to that chart, only AFE is good for fuel economy and, in a surprise move, is the best choice for Canadians who start their cars in winter. But if you drive a truck or SUV, the only option is the truck/SUV oil. None of these choices are ideal for Canadian truck drivers who want good fuel economy...maybe use Pennzoil instead???

Accordong to that chart, only AFE is good for fuel economy and, in a surprise move, is the best choice for Canadians who start their cars in winter. But if you drive a truck or SUV, the only option is the truck/SUV oil. None of these choices are ideal for Canadian truck drivers who want good fuel economy...maybe use Pennzoil instead???
At one time - and in 0W20 - they were both 30% PAO with a bit more additives in T&S … I normally don’t check unless ready to buy …
(don’t need oil right now) …

Mobil is the King of Advertisement! They are not so good at math... Or Astrology. Well, maybe they are, maybe they are just so fussy about the harsh weather north of the 49th that they feel the fluid should be changed out a little earlier. Or, maybe they are trying to recoup some of the higher operating costs from conducting business north of the 49th? lol
If you are poking fun at the stars - that’s astronomy …

If I lived where @OVERKILL does - would not run oil as long as Jeff could - and I did say “could” …
Not many will run an UOA that costs what a jug of new oil does - that’s more appropriate for boutiques and long runs IMO …

If I lived where @OVERKILL does - would not run oil as long as Jeff could - and I did say “could” …
Not many will run an UOA that costs what a jug of new oil does - that’s more appropriate for boutiques and long runs IMO …

True ^^^^^^^^^

Though Mobil 1 EP is a great oil that is a legitimate high mile run oil.

I think Mobil 1 ESP is one of the best regular off the shelf oils that can be bought.

Amazing it’s only $37.99 a 5 qt container at Autozone. Very reasonable price for a oil that meets Porsche C30 etc etc.. Toughest approvals to meet.

Is there a difference between the red and yellow stars? In terms of marketing you’d think that should mean something, but I don’t think it does.

And I like how the SUV and truck oil is the only oil that helps provide “support” for hard working trucks and SUV’s , while simultaneously giving you less protection in extending engine life and high temp protection than their other oils🤣🤣.

Interesting that EP is only good for 25K KM (15,500 miles) in Canada, but is good for 20,000 miles down here in the USA?

I've wondered that myself. It seems like it would be better for them to at least claim 30,000 km (18.6K miles) We know it's the exact same oil, it's not as if they blend it any differently for up here.

I've wondered that myself. It seems like it would be better for them to at least claim 30,000 km (18.6K miles) We know it's the exact same oil, it's not as if they blend it any differently for up here.

It is likely due to the colder temperatures. We see some automakers recommend shorter OCIs in Canada as well. I think Hyundai and Mazda?

It is likely due to the colder temperatures. We see some automakers recommend shorter OCIs in Canada as well. I think Hyundai and Mazda?

True, that is a good point. Before a lot of cars got oil life monitors I do recall we would have shorter intervals in our manuals vs the same cars in the US.

Back