Magnatec replacement...GTX FS or Edge?

I’m surprised no one has raved about Wdge EP

If I wanted to I’d use EDGE 5w20 in my new to me focus like I did in my old red focus. I’m not scared; even if it maybe is “thin” 🤣🤣💀☠️

ahh ya the "thicker" Edge, forgot about that one! And maybe QSFS might be good, I haven't seen the specs but hey it's a crap shoot lately. Just shake the bottles good at Menards! Sometimes stuff has sat there a bit, mix up the additives!

You're in the same boat I was when all the "newer recipes" of oil came out and I had to make a decision.. Let us know what ya think of whatever ya choose, I'd like to know what ya think of the Edge HM or the QSFS..
I think I'm gonna try the QSFS. Next change is in 2k miles, right before winter. With the price of everything now, I don't drive as often and I could appreciate the lower cost of the QS. If it's indeed "darn good oil" I'll give it a shot and stock up. Still mad about Magnatec....I'm a "if it works, stay with it" guy. Sometimes change is NOT good. Don't know my trucks history.....it had a white can filter on it and 5k on an unknown oil. It had used some if it too I put in 3/4 quart of whatever the Vesco 5W-30 is at my work....going to try a 4k OCI when I dump the Magnatec and see how it does.

I also have Nissan VQ40 and used Magnatec until about a year ago. It quietened down the rattle at startup. These engines rattle mainly due to their solid lifters until there warm - some after warm also :). Its not indicative of much, but bothers me as well.

I actually tried Edge before the Magnatec - when I first switched to full syn a couple years ago, and it was the noisiest at startup its ever been.

I have since switched to M1 EP 5w-30 mainly due to the rebates, and it seems pretty good as best I can tell. I might try QSFS when I run out of M1

I also have Nissan VQ40 and used Magnatec until about a year ago. It quietened down the rattle at startup. These engines rattle mainly due to their solid lifters until there warm - some after warm also :). Its not indicative of much, but bothers me as well.

I actually tried Edge before the Magnatec - when I first switched to full syn a couple years ago, and it was the noisiest at startup its ever been.

I have since switched to M1 EP 5w-30 mainly due to the rebates, and it seems pretty good as best I can tell. I might try QSFS when I run out of M1
Thanks for your input. If Edge is noisy as you and others say, it's not worth the extra cost to me. I too am going to try the QSFS on my next OCI.

QSFS HM is doing good in the first vehicle I put it in. The usual cold start tick is minimal. I'd say that and/or Valvoline for some Magnatec-ish stuff.

QSFS HM is on the thin side though for a HM.

Nice to see/hear that your experience with Edge and Magnatec with Nissan's VQ engines were the same as mine. FWIW, I used the Magnatec replacement, GTX Full Synthetic, and no complaints at all. It acts just like the previous Magnatec did for me.

I saw that, but I hate his house. It's messy and disorganized, and when his maids delivered my bull bar, it was smashed up. Looked like the box was drug behind the stupid little van that delivered it.
Didn't know Bezos was a bullfighter! :LOL:

You'll like QSFS. It's great stuff. Year-round, run the 5W30 in the Frontier. Perhaps 10W30 in the summer if you work that engine really hard.

Last edited:
Didn't know Bezos was a bullfighter! :LOL:

You'll like QSFS. It's great stuff. Year-round, run the 5W30 in the Frontier. Perhaps 10W30 in the summer if you work that engine really hard.
Got 2 oil changes worth of the QSFS....It'll go in within the next 6 weeks probably. I always use the 5W-30....no towing yet, just back and forth to the work dungeon.

Back