Castrol email about GTX Synblend and Magnatec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Castrol asking about Magnatec and GTX Synblend. Here's there email back to me. If this is old news,my apologies:

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

As of January 2015, Castrol GTX SYNBLEND is being replaced with Castrol GTX MAGNATEC, a leading Castrol engine oil brand. It will be available in the following grades:

0W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1

5W-20 – Full Synthetic meeting Dexos 1

5W-30 – Semi Synthetic meeting Dexos 1

10W-30 – Semi Synthetic

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

So they need to get rid of the old bottle of SynBlend since the containers are changing color.

IMO...same formulation just a different wrapper for SynBlend.

Too bad you could not ask them what the difference is between Magnatec and SynBlend. That would have been interesting.....

Last edited:
100% that is what it is about.

Castrol want Magnatec everywhere. They will actually help (contribute) Autozone clear it out.

That makes sense for the sale. I saw a case of Castrol on a back shelf, with a product number that did not match any oil numbers on the shelf.

But why Kendall, Pennzoil, and others??

I don't know about Castrol helping Autozone in clearing the GTX Syn-blend, if they do then why other chains such as Pep Boys, O'Reilly and Walmart still have it at regular price ?

Also, Autozone had many different brands and grades for $1/qt, they are not replaced with newer labels and/or name changes.

I still don't know the reason(s) behind the crazy $1/qt for many brands/grades/types people got from various Autozone stores in many states.

It's very possible that once Autozone agrees with Castrol to clear out Synblend, and gets help for it, it gives AZ wiggle room to lower other inventory.

It's also possible that AZ will focus on Castrol ATFs instead of Valvolines.

Shelf space is constantly negotiated with individual retailers along with pricing and promotional support.

If you look at the availability and pricing of Edge 0w40, I suspect that Castrol is serious about getting a bigger slice of the US market. To have that in Walmart for $21.66 and at one time with a instant discount, is something I've never seen before. Walmart would only have taken it and sold it at that price after negotiating with Castrol for a better deal than Mobil. And for Castrol to get it in there, they would have had to reduce their margin.

Their website is revamped also. I think they have invested in this business and have reduced their prices to retailers to get market share. They are looking to offset lower margins with more volume. Additionally, Magnatec is their 2015 focus. Whoever is in charge needs to be successful with this. So clearing out Synblend in Autozone is a small thing to do when you are an executive with expectations on your head. I bet he or she wishes they could clear out Synblend everywhere, but perhaps Autozone are the worst offenders when it comes to stock levels.

I've been running the Castrol synblend in our KIA for about 8k now, I like it. The Magnetec looks interesting, maybe I'll switch it over to that since Synblend is going away and I have not managed to score any at AZ.

I do plan to UOA my synblend in a few hundred miles, out of curiosity as well as for the benefit of those that now have 300 quarts of the stuff!

I just got back from AZ,bought two jugs of Edge 0W40 for $5 each. Almost wish I would've bought the entire shelf as it was completely full.

This $1 synthetic quart sale is going to have all of us spoiled! Imagine how painful it would be to even pay Walmart prices after this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back