Castrol Edge or Magnatec 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2.0l ecoboost in my Fusion. I've had a couple of different oils in it so far, Motorcraft FS 5W-30 and Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 FS. Did a UOA with the Magnatec at 6000 and it was pretty good (low fuel, sheered to 20) but probably wouldn't push it much further than that. I'd like to just pick one for a while so I can stock up. I would really like to hit a 7000 OCI (no real reason) but worried that the engine may require extended life oil for this particular engine. When I was looking at prices I saw Castrol Edge a few bucks more so then I thought would it be worth it to bump up to Edge? I know the Magnatec is their value FS (which works well) but for an extra 5 bucks per oil change I could go up to the Edge. I'm not married to Castrol either but from what I've read on here, it plays nicely with the Ecobost engines.

I live in the city of Chicago, so a lot of quick starts, stop/go, varying temps all over the board, and a decent amount of long trips with fully loaded car. Would go to Edge be worth it? Would it help push to 7k OCI? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Originally Posted By: jcartwright99
Would go to Edge be worth it? Would it help push to 7k OCI?

Only one way to find out.
smile.gif

There are some UOAs with 5W-Magnetech doing pretty good almlost to 10,000 miles in a Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost . Magnetech is a really good oil.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Edge 10W30 SN Plus. Notice the reference to the Ecoboost on the back.

It looks like and has almost all the marketing claims other oils have.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I do not see Ford's spec number anywhere.

I don't think Ford specs any 10W-30 ... but do 5W-30.

I started off early using Magnatec 0w20. Its fine for shorter trips and very budget friendly. Want cleaner engine,better longevity or HM formula then go Edge. All in all, they both have their poace. I think Magnatec is better money spent. Arctic cold or track driven go Edge.

If one assumes that price is an indicator of quality (within a particular brand), then EDGE is a better product. That’s about all we have to go on.

Originally Posted By: BigTrees
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For any TGDI, yes

Use edge or magantec?

Edge
smile.gif

The OP was asking whether Edge was worth the price premium over Magnatec, and I said yes
thumbsup2.gif

My wife's Fusion has the 1.5L Ecoboost and I've been planning to use Castrol Edge. I know that Ford specs either 0W-20 or 5W-20 for Fusion/Mondeos outside of the US and I've been leaning towards 0W-20 but it's not available in a Euro-spec. 0W-30 is though - anyone use that in an Ecoboost ?

Thanks for the responses. I think if I can get the Edge for no more than $5 more than the Magnatec, I'll probably go that route. I only have 20K on my car right now, so haven't changed my oil that much. I do want to try Mobil 1 at some point and do a UOA, just to see.

Now the next thing for me to do is a trans d&f, along with diff and ptu but I'll put that thread somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
My wife's Fusion has the 1.5L Ecoboost and I've been planning to use Castrol Edge. I know that Ford specs either 0W-20 or 5W-20 for Fusion/Mondeos outside of the US and I've been leaning towards 0W-20 but it's not available in a Euro-spec. 0W-30 is though - anyone use that in an Ecoboost ?

I thought the Ecoboost was spec'd by Ford with 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back