Magnatec / Edge EP Blend OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be ok/compatible to mix 5qts Magnatec 5w30 with 1qt Edge EP 5w20 or should I just run out and grab a sixth quart of the Magnatec. The vehicle calls for 5w20 so I'm not concerned about the Edge thinning out the Magnatec. This is in an 08 Mazda CX-9 w/ 90k miles. Thanks.

I mix Magnatec often- no harm
It will give it more of a synthetic body
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That Edge might demagnetize the Magnatec and you'd be left with an ordinary plain-jane oil.

Doh!

And it's not a 10w30! Double Doh!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
So would Edge be your ideal choice if you HAD to blend Magntec? Are their add packs similar?

One of the formulators on BITOG has worked in the formulation of both, and said that edge uses similar technology to Magnatec, but the next generation, so it's clingy and all of that.

Can't vouch for the similarity, other than it's "different".

His advice for mixing (blending is what the oil manufacturers do, mixing is when you combine two already formulated oils) is to stick within product ranges, can cross viscosity grades, but stick within the product range.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
So would Edge be your ideal choice if you HAD to blend Magntec? Are their add packs similar?

One of the formulators on BITOG has worked in the formulation of both, and said that edge uses similar technology to Magnatec, but the next generation, so it's clingy and all of that.

Can't vouch for the similarity, other than it's "different".

His advice for mixing (blending is what the oil manufacturers do, mixing is when you combine two already formulated oils) is to stick within product ranges, can cross viscosity grades, but stick within the product range.

Thanks! For clarification, when you say "product ranges" do you mean companies? In this case Castrol?

Lines...like M1, M1 EP, Magnatec, Edge.

Similarly, when I've been talking to Penrite's technicians, they advise same thing, stick to the product lines...racing, 10 tenths, everyday etc, rather than "crossing the streams"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back