GTX Full Synthetic appears to be replacing GTX Magnatec (per marketing material)

GTX should be dino. It's a classic (wasn't GTX the first 20W-50?). I think either Shannow or Doug had told me that.

Last time I bought Magnatec at Wal-Mart the bottle said Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-30 Full Synthetic and not blend.

Marketing may have invested a lot of $ on Magnatec to get rid of it. The magnets get weaker over time however!

Correct, only the high mileage GTX Magnatec line was synthetic blend.

Imo what oil companies should do, is have 1 dino, 1 synth, and 1 high mileage. And keep their trademarked names, Syntec, Synpower, etc. I don't know why companies always feel the need to keep changing things only to have them flop.
Funny you mention Syntec - O’Reilly’s house brand full syn took on the Syntec name.

Right now, Chevron is trying the “all-mileage” approach with Havoline - it’s a Walmart exclusive. SOPUS and Walmart are also doing the same thing with QS and ST.

For reference, this is how they had it earlier this year

EEF20FA7-C31A-4096-A4A3-E8940ECBF7E6.jpeg

A year ago everyone was pushing specialized products. Now simplification is back in vogue.

Castrol could go further with just one GTX and the two Edge products.
It was starting to get out of hand...there is only so much room on the store shelves and so much room in the customers brain to process it all.

I like the way Valvoline has it set up at this time. Consistent logos and color cues, and covers all the bases without a lot of overlap.

1640264055128.jpg

The one thing about Magnatec I didn’t like was it seemed noisy on cold morning starts. Was smooth and silent in hot weather. QSUD/FS is always silent on cold morning starts. Maybe the high moly in QS??
The opposite for me. After switching from Mobil 1 to Magnatec my cold start cam phaser rattle disappeared in my 2017 Canyon.

some people (not me) may argue that varnish protection is also -1.4x, -6x and -10x better.

Negative numbers are confusing. Like I ain't got no time for no oil change! Does that mean I have time for oil change? Or does that translate into sludge?

Some are reducing and seems like Wal-Mart is expanding. Marketing teams have to stay busy making changes ... Working from home, you have to justify your paycheck.
Used to be easy and simple ... Just ST and 2 or 3 different weights or is that viscosity grades?
iirc, last time I saw ST 5000 miles, ST 10000 miles, ST 20000 miles, ST High Mileage, and typical Full-Syn, Advanced syn, Syn-Blend ... ST is now taking up more space than others.
Why not ST 7500? That's when most oil changes happen these days! Or ST 3000 for traditional and clean-engine guys. Waiting for Wal-Mart Euro :alien:

I think Kirkland marketing is behind and next. I only see 1 label so far with either 0W-20 or 5W-30. Waiting for at least their 10W-30.

Last edited:
Castrol USA's website has both Magnatec and GTX Full Synthetic on their website. I wonder if Magnatec will keep being offered in the US?

Back