GM ranks their powertrains ahead of Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live about 60-70 miles from a Toyota plant.

My town has a Panasonic,Tokico,KI USA and another foreign owned factory.

These companies supply many jobs yet the main profits go to the main offices based in Japan.

In the town a few miles north of me there are several foreign owned factories.

One or two of those factories make transmissionparts for Honda.

These companies supply needed jobs but the true profits go to Japan and other countries.

A car that is assembled/manufactured in the US does not mean that it is a American made car or company.

As stated,the profits go to another country.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Happened to be near a Pontiac dealer recently, and popped in to look at the GTO. I just can't believe how untidy and unrefined it is under the hood: wires taped up with electrical tape or poking out from the split looming. Burrs and rust here and there, crudely bent tubing going every which way. Massive, unfinished castings. Stampings rusting at the edges. Just generally a low tech, crude, clumsy looking thing. It drove pretty much the same: like a Mustang GT...

Baloney. I've never seen anything that remotely resembles that description under the hood of my GTO, or any of the GTO's that I looked at before I bought mine.

For a low tech, crude, clumsy, rusty, looking thing, It sure blows past Honda's, Toyota's or Nissan's with ease.

Last time I looked under the hood or inside of the son in law's Accord, it sure reeked of cheap .....

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
A PCV valve is something that goes bad,regardless of the car maker.

Isn't it standard for them to be replaced at about 60K? Heck, Ford replaces them for free at that mileage under the emissions warranty (or they did for some models).

quote:

Originally posted by JMG:
Going back to my previous comment, I think realibility is something that is determined when I have 150K miles and I am going on a 900 mile trip with no problems
smile.gif

Thanks Honda
smile.gif

What's the big deal with that?

A couple of months ago I drove my old 1990 Vanden Plas Jaguar with 169k miles on it from Franklin, Ohio, to Fort Smith, Arkansas, in under 12 hours (about 900 miles) with only one stop for fuel about thirty miles west of Saint Louis.

Thanks, Jaguar.

I didn't see where Tosh wrote what you are quoting, but it does sound like BS to me.

I have never seen "electrical tape" under the hood of any car that wasn't put there by someone making a half-*** electrical repair.

quote:

Originally posted by Win:

Apparently he thinks that the only car with 150K miles you should trust on a 900-mile trip is a Honda.

I'd say yea..if the timing belt's been changed.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by Win:

Apparently he thinks that the only car with 150K miles you should trust on a 900-mile trip is a Honda.

I'd say yea..if the timing belt's been changed.

Not really...

Not really, the timing belt status doesn't really matter?

or

Not really, there are other cars with 150K miles you would trust on a 900-mile trip besides Hondas? (Toyotas, maybe?)

jeez... I took my old man's 90 GMC C2500 to kentucky and back towing an all steel horse trailer both ways when it had about 305,000 miles on it and never thought twice about it. That was 5 years ago, and he's still driving it. I've been trying to get him to retire it, as the body is getting *really* rough, but he likes it and the drive train is doing just fine.

Some Toyota powertrains won't make it to 50k mi. Toyota 7MGTE blows headgaskets right and left.

However a GM L67 is probably good to 300,000 miles.

Each engine is different. Don't make any broad generalities.

quote:

Originally posted by steveh:
I would love to see the quality of GM vs Toyota powertrains after 200,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back