GM ranks their powertrains ahead of Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that OHV means is that the valves are on top of the pistons in the head.

Many GM engines have the cam shaft in the block,not on top as in the OHC.(Overhead Cam)

GM's 3.3,3.8,5.7 and 4.3 liter engines are some of the best engines a person can get.

The GM 125 and 125C are two of the best trannies a person can own.

I have 2 GM cars that are 162,000+ and 165,000+ miles with the original engine and tranny and no major mechanical work.

A friend had an older F-150 with the 4.9 inline six in it.

I think it had around 300,000 miles on it when they got rid of it,I dont think it had had any major work.

I think it was still running at the time.

Just becaus it is older technology doesnt mean that it is bad.

quote:

Originally posted by got boost?:
the LSX series and HEMI are two clean sheet OHV engine designs developed in the last ten years. both the LSX and HEMI outperform (power AND fuel mileage) anything comparable. they are also both very light and compact. it is also much easier to add cylinder deactivation to a single camshaft engine.

Correct you are! I had almost forgotten about the monstrosity DC calls "Hemi". Build a low-tech motor, slap an old time performance name to it, and watch the idiots come running with money in hand. It's not even a REAL Hemi for crying out loud!

As far as anything being comparable, the Nissan Titan with its 5.6L "Endurance" V8 seems to have no problem beating the "Hemi" equipped Ram trucks in just about every performance catagory. And it's even more amazing considering the Nissan engine is .1 liter smaller, and is rated at around 35 HP less.

As got boost mentioned the LSX GM motors are clean sheet designs compared to the traditional SBC engine. The cylinder heads are 15 degree instead of 23. This results in a straighter shot of airflow into the CC like a DOHC design. The new LS7 is utilizing 12 degree heads which are a virtual straight shot.

GM uses OHV V8's because they get the job done very well and are well suited to the dynamics of American driving. OHV engines have less parts, weight less, more compact and are alot easier to work on. I've torn my LS1 down to the pistons on nothing but basic engine knowledge and a FSM. Try that with your new Toyota DOHC Iforce V8.

OHV engines were good in their day, but that day has long since come and gone. GM seriously needs to "get with the program" in the engine department.
I guess these dinosaur OHV GM V8's are awful! Suprisingly they outpower any Japanese made V8 on the market with old technology.

If Toyota and the Japanese companies are sooo great and build great DOHC engines, then why can't they build a V8 to compete with GM or Chrysler V8's?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
If Toyota and the Japanese companies are sooo great and build great DOHC engines, then why can't they build a V8 to compete with GM or Chrysler V8's?
dunno.gif

Nissan does, as I stated in my above reply. And word has it that Toyota is working on a larger V8 to install in the next-gen Tundra in order to be able to compete with Nissan and the "Big Three".

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
I guess these dinosaur OHV GM V8's are awful! Suprisingly they outpower any Japanese made V8 on the market with old technology.

Engine Comparison:
------------------------------------------------
Name------------HP-------------TQ
Chevy 6.0 - 345@5200RPM - 380@4000RPM

Dodge 5.7 - 345@5400RPM - 375@4200RPM

Nissan 5.6 - 305@4900RPM - 379@3600RPM

What's funny to me is that in a comparably equipped truck, the Nissan outperforms both the Chevy and the Dodge, depite being smaller and rated for 40 less HP. Either Nissan severly underrated their engine, or the Chevy and Dodge engines aren't all they're made out to be.

Competition is good... makes for better products for us to choose from. I think we are all being very subjective and base our opinions on personal preference.

I know at the 90k miles mark I will be cursing toyota for making the timing belt such a pain to change(I brush it off as simple but it's time consuming). Same with the other Japanese vehicle I own. GM's top end V-8's are very nice as far servicing.
Having said that I wouldn't trade my 02 Tacoma 4x4 for the GM or Chevy S-10 of the same vintage
nono.gif
Not remotely in the same league for my application thought the s-10 may suit someone just fine.

Choose the vehicle you like best and laugh off those who disagree if you are happy with your choice.

Too many people on here only own one type of Brand! To be honest haveing owned Domestic and Import Brands I think you would have to be blind or ignorant not to see the difference! The people that shout the loadest about so called domestic brands quality are the ones that have either neverowned an import or have not owned on in the last 10 years! I also think most of you are missing the boat! J.D. Powers and GM did not say GM out paced Toyota for the 2005 IQ study! They were only looking at powertrains in this qouted section undery the 2005IQ. What is General Motors total IQ ranking this year third,fourth, fith???? I am going to venture a Guess and say that Toyota ios still #1 inthe composite total!

I will also say that you dinosaurs that do not consider a Toyota,BMW,Hyundai,Benz,Honda,Mitsubish,Subaru,Nissian made in the USA an AMerican made vechile need to get a labodomy! How is that any less American then a Chevy Eqinox with a Toyota see (ASIN) transmission made in Japan, a Chineese made engine and assembled in Canada? How about a Tacoma rolling out of the same plant in California as S-10? How about that Harison radiator and AC/Delco batery and all suppliers in the USA makeing parts for Toyota,Honda,Benz,Hyundai etc....... Then you have the joint ventures, relabled, or liscensed vechiles that GM sells. Then you have the Korean conection. Heck GM sells as many imports as Toyota maybe more! When was the last time you took a part of a GM vechile that said made in America?

I think most of you guys that blow the buy American smoke are clueless! You can not get a job with GM in a plant or Ford wich are the last of the domestic car companys! I know all the stuff in your houseis not American made either unless you nothing but antiques.

Belive what you will but their is a reason that imports are errodeing GM and Ford's market share.Especialy when you look at the lack of incentive or really weak incentives offered by so called import brands. When you look at the higher initial cost of say a Toyota over a GM vechile, the lack of gimicky content their is a reason why they fly off the lots! Their is also a reason why Toyota's and Lexus's retain so much more residual value as compared to their GM counter parts!Their is a reason that GM has to give you their discount+ all of their other incentives to make a sale!!!

I have owned Fords,GM,Toyota and DiamlerChryslers products new and used! Toyota came out on top in just about every catagory other then sound system,styleing and initial purchase price! My Dakota was sexy,handled great and had a great infinity sound system. It had horrable breakes and had to go to the dealership once a month for either warranty work or a recall. My Ford Tempo was an electrical nightmare and the engine was shot by 60,000 miles and needed to be rebuilt and the transmission was shot by 90,000. It handled like a marshmallo.The 1997 Buick has a transmission that was machined wrong but GM say you are SOL since it is out of warranty even though they admit they machined it wrong. It also had the *** crapy intake manifold that leak's coolant into the oil. The door panels needs to be rehung, the door was not aligned properly at the factory and the driver side door lock switch broke and feel into the door on it's own. THe armrest is broken and so is the armrest console door release. THe plastic cover to cover the t/signal stalk just feel off the other day. It is not broken the plastic has just shrunken so much it does not fit any more.The transmission axle seals are leaking and so is oil pan and oil filter adapter. The p/s lines are also leaking and are looking dry rotted. At 109,000 miles I have had to replace the the followingnon non-wear items: TPS,IAC,MAP,PCV,Intake manifold,tensioner,ICW wireharness,ignition control module,Park Nutrual saftey switch.

The car has the usual GM gremlins like a mystery check engine light that will light with very random MIL's! It will disapear just as mysteriously as it appeared.

The struts,springs,brakes and rotors were replaced about 20,000 miles prior to me buying off of Granmothers estate! I wish I had drivenit before buying it but I had to buy it blind. It had M1 10W30 from 40,000-100,000 miles. I think she followed the GM oil change indicator light.

Do not get me wrong all makes have some issues but GM,Ford and Dodge seems to have chasis,electricaland powertrain issues on all models they make occureing all the time at random! It goes in cycles as soon as they get a vechile problem free they redesign the hole thing or forgett what they learned and start the cycle all over again! At least some companys learn from their mistakes and pick something else to goof up!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
How is that any less American then a Chevy Eqinox with a Toyota see (ASIN) transmission made in Japan, a Chineese made engine and assembled in Canada?

The profits from that Equinox end up the hands of an American company.

I've grown up with GM all my life; our last 4 all had leaky intake gaskets; one blew an engine cause of it. Dad's Blazer is on it's 3rd tranny. The chassis on all these cars just feels spent after 150K. The rubber suspension bushings they use on GMs are so freakin cheap it's not funny. I worked at Discount Tire for a while and it's too easy to crease a GM disk brake hub; the wheel studs they use snap like toothpicks routinly. If you actually think that General Motors produces a product that has more quality than Toyota then you need to pull your head.......

quote:

Originally posted by JMG:
I think that they should do the same test after 100K or 150K miles...

If they did that I could almost guarantee you that GM, or its divisions, wouldn't be in the top 10.
spaz.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
How is that any less American then a Chevy Eqinox with a Toyota see (ASIN) transmission made in Japan, a Chineese made engine and assembled in Canada?

The profits from that Equinox end up the hands of an American company.

I'd rather give a few hundred working Americans a paycheck than a CEO a bigger bonus. If I have a choice of Made in America but foriegn owned, or American owned and made elsewere,and I can't have both, I am picking Made in USA!
Maybe the American owned companies pay more in American taxes but then maybe our gov't should rethink their strategy of running manufacturing out of the country, if that's the reason.
The Equinox can go to @#$# and we should be telling GM to stuff it.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
At work, we often have to engage (in)/(con)sultants, as our managers cannot abide by the belief that maybe one of their employees actually has a decent idea.

They will tell you exactly what you pay them to tell you.

Exactly correct Shannow
cheers.gif

Never put your faith in any report generated by a party that has a financial stake (billing OR repeat business) in the outcome.

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:
I live about 60-70 miles from a Toyota plant.

My town has a Panasonic,Tokico,KI USA and another foreign owned factory.

These companies supply many jobs yet the main profits go to the main offices based in Japan.

In the town a few miles north of me there are several foreign owned factories.

One or two of those factories make transmissionparts for Honda.

These companies supply needed jobs but the true profits go to Japan and other countries.

A car that is assembled/manufactured in the US does not mean that it is a American made car or company.

As stated,the profits go to another country.

Most of my income is from investments, but I still believe decent paying American jobs are more important than where corporate profits go.

Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc are building factories here and employing more people while at the same time GM is replacing US made content with foreign content and eliminating US jobs.

If I bought a GM product I would be encouraging their behavior.

[ July 14, 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
At work, we often have to engage (in)/(con)sultants, as our managers cannot abide by the belief that maybe one of their employees actually has a decent idea.

They will tell you exactly what you pay them to tell you.

Consultant = A person who borrows your watch, tells you what time it is and sends you a big bill.

Going back to my previous comment, I think realibility is something that is determined when I have 150K miles and I am going on a 900 mile trip with no problems
smile.gif

Thanks Honda
smile.gif

I have a 1988 Mustang 5.0.

It's got 167,000 miles and I have no problem driving it 120 miles or more from home. I'd drive it 900 miles if I had someplace to go that far away.

JohnBrowning,did you check the links I posted above?

Several of the top rated cars are American made.

Several of the cars that scored the highest on repair service are American cars.

Also,most of the parts you replaced do wear out.

A PCV valve is something that goes bad,regardless of the car maker.

Idle Air Control valves must actuate back and forth.

MAP sensors wear out.

These things go bad.

Also,I am not trying to offend you but are you kind of rough on a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back