Can't trust JD Power ratings... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Miller88
65MPH at 2600 RPM with my foot in the throttle towing the camper and it didn't burn a drop and got 26MPG doing so. It's a Japanese 4 cylinder; they like to rev. It's not an old flathead with a moderate cam that can't breathe above 1500RPM.

My new Camry 2.5, 4-Cylinder turns barely 2,000 RPM at almost 80 MPH. And gets close to 40 MPG doing it. Yet it is capable of revving as high as 7,000. But for what purpose? Higher RPM's translate into increased wear, along with lower fuel economy. There is no way around it. Subaru touts all wheel drive with small, underpowered engines for that task. So they have to rev them in order to get any power out of them.

How do you like the 8-speed auto in your Camry? I'm hearing of complaints about it's shifting.

I had a new Camry rental for 500 miles, the transmission always seems to always be in the next higher gear than what's really needed. I understand it's for fuel economy and it drove (no pun) me nuts.

WOT the trans is great.... city driving not so great.

Excellent car for the money.

I've owned 3 Subies.

They are cult-like for a reason. I don't know what that is, exactly, but it exists.

But in terms of design, they are not at the peak. Maybe that quirkiness has something to do with it...

I've moved on.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Plus they aren't all that slow.
Our '09 is governed to around 98 mph and is not quick to get there while our '17 easily and briskly passes through the ton.
Our old '99 Legacy 2.2 happily redlines the first three gears and handles really well.
Not sure how this Subarus are slow thing got started, but they're no slower than Honda, Mazda or Toyota sedans, none of which have AWD.
The old 2.2 Legacy is also exceptionally smooth while the 2.5s aren't, although the larger displacement Honda and Toyota fours aren't either.
Subarus remain something of a niche offering. Lord help us if Toyota starts forcing their transverse powertrains on Subaru.

fdcg, I know you're a prior owner, so what I meant was "slow" relative to today's sports cars, and only the NA models. The WRX/STis still do a decent job of being way faster than one needs to get ticketed, jailed, or dead. If Toyobaru ever happens, I'm done. There's a reason people buy Subarus, and it's not because they're like Toyotas.

Originally Posted by 02SE
How do you like the 8-speed auto in your Camry? I'm hearing of complaints about it's shifting.

So far so good. I've only got just under 7,000 miles on it. When you're driving around town, you can't even feel it upshift. The only way you would know it is if you were watching the tachometer.

When I first back out and it's cold, and it shifts up through the gears the first time, it holds first and second a bit longer, then shifts abruptly. But after it goes through the gears once, and gets the fluid pumping through it, it shifts as smooth as silk. The 8-Speed ZF in my Jeep does much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back