GM Goes All In on EVs: Pickups & SUVs

I remember driving through the Mojave and seeing both large solar fields and windmill fields and thinking about the huge impact that had to have on the desert.

Looking at it from a different view, Forget all the rest for a moment. Try to harden them for any potential terrorist or other attack and watch what happens.

This applies to all power generation facilities but most of them are more compact, can be better hardened/defended and easier to restore.

Then, how many individual panels or mills have to be disrupted to take the entire grid down?

I would love to own a Tesla and may have one in my future. I am impressed with the car. I do believe EV's are in the near future and you can see it happening. I love the low gasoline prices and wonder if they will go up or down as EV's are more common. I drove a Prius on vacation all over California a few years ago and was very impressed with the car. I bought a Honda Civic instead because the Prius was a few thousand dollars more for the same year. EV's are very impressive as far as I am concerned.

I would love to own a Tesla and may have one in my future. I am impressed with the car. I do believe EV's are in the near future and you can see it happening. I love the low gasoline prices and wonder if they will go up or down as EV's are more common. I drove a Prius on vacation all over California a few years ago and was very impressed with the car. I bought a Honda Civic instead because the Prius was a few thousand dollars more for the same year. EV's are very impressive as far as I am concerned.
Teslas are really fun; you look forward to driving it. The benefit of plugging in and starting each day with a "full tank" is, IMO, hard to appreciate until you live it. Having said this, I live in a bubble, a Mecca for Teslas. Solar panels and lotsa sun. Computer lanes. Tesla mfg right up the road (helps the local area with jobs and tax base) is important to me. There is more.
I also have other cars for other uses.
And I always tell perspective buyers, "this car is expensive. A Civic, Camry or similar car may be a better choice."
If your budget affords it and your individual situation makes sense, I believe you will love a Tesla.

Looking at it from a different view, Forget all the rest for a moment. Try to harden them for any potential terrorist or other attack and watch what happens.

This applies to all power generation facilities but most of them are more compact, can be better hardened/defended and easier to restore.

Then, how many individual panels or mills have to be disrupted to take the entire grid down?
If Chinese bombers get in as far as the Mojave desert, they aren't going to bomb the windmills and panels. They need those panels in their new country they just took, panels cost money to replace.

If Chinese bombers get in as far as the Mojave desert, they aren't going to bomb the windmills and panels. They need those panels in their new country they just took, panels cost money to replace.

From a tactical perspective in a total war scenario I would most likely agree, but from a terroristic perspective, they are a prime target ( well known even right now so this is no secret). Weapon of Mass Disruption.

From a tactical perspective in a total war scenario I would most likely agree, but from a terroristic perspective, they are a prime target ( well known even right now so this is no secret). Weapon of Mass Disruption.
All true, but we still use wires to transmit electricity. I know of one major power station that there is a pick n pull in an isolated area served by a small road. All empty land around and you drive right under the major electrical supply lines to hundreds of thousands. A little scary actually to hear the sizzling wires.Once the wires broke or one wire dont remember and the whole area was out. I live 30 miles away and the power was out. Such an easy target.

Working at a forklift dealership the electric forklifts while not exactly like a gas engine forklift are very nice in their operation. I could see the use of electric vehicles in certain situations like city vehicles and they are great for virtue signaling. Girls love guys that drive electric vehicles . But then where will the electricity come from to recharge the batteries.

One of those other threads on EVs and batteries probably has a solution to the recharging aspect. Here's for hardening e-mobility against terrorism and invasion.