GM Goes All In on EVs: Pickups & SUVs

I remember driving through the Mojave and seeing both large solar fields and windmill fields and thinking about the huge impact that had to have on the desert.

Looking at it from a different view, Forget all the rest for a moment. Try to harden them for any potential terrorist or other attack and watch what happens.

This applies to all power generation facilities but most of them are more compact, can be better hardened/defended and easier to restore.

Then, how many individual panels or mills have to be disrupted to take the entire grid down?

I would love to own a Tesla and may have one in my future. I am impressed with the car. I do believe EV's are in the near future and you can see it happening. I love the low gasoline prices and wonder if they will go up or down as EV's are more common. I drove a Prius on vacation all over California a few years ago and was very impressed with the car. I bought a Honda Civic instead because the Prius was a few thousand dollars more for the same year. EV's are very impressive as far as I am concerned.

I would love to own a Tesla and may have one in my future. I am impressed with the car. I do believe EV's are in the near future and you can see it happening. I love the low gasoline prices and wonder if they will go up or down as EV's are more common. I drove a Prius on vacation all over California a few years ago and was very impressed with the car. I bought a Honda Civic instead because the Prius was a few thousand dollars more for the same year. EV's are very impressive as far as I am concerned.
Teslas are really fun; you look forward to driving it. The benefit of plugging in and starting each day with a "full tank" is, IMO, hard to appreciate until you live it. Having said this, I live in a bubble, a Mecca for Teslas. Solar panels and lotsa sun. Computer lanes. Tesla mfg right up the road (helps the local area with jobs and tax base) is important to me. There is more.
I also have other cars for other uses.
And I always tell perspective buyers, "this car is expensive. A Civic, Camry or similar car may be a better choice."
If your budget affords it and your individual situation makes sense, I believe you will love a Tesla.

Looking at it from a different view, Forget all the rest for a moment. Try to harden them for any potential terrorist or other attack and watch what happens.

This applies to all power generation facilities but most of them are more compact, can be better hardened/defended and easier to restore.

Then, how many individual panels or mills have to be disrupted to take the entire grid down?
If Chinese bombers get in as far as the Mojave desert, they aren't going to bomb the windmills and panels. They need those panels in their new country they just took, panels cost money to replace.

If Chinese bombers get in as far as the Mojave desert, they aren't going to bomb the windmills and panels. They need those panels in their new country they just took, panels cost money to replace.

From a tactical perspective in a total war scenario I would most likely agree, but from a terroristic perspective, they are a prime target ( well known even right now so this is no secret). Weapon of Mass Disruption.

From a tactical perspective in a total war scenario I would most likely agree, but from a terroristic perspective, they are a prime target ( well known even right now so this is no secret). Weapon of Mass Disruption.
All true, but we still use wires to transmit electricity. I know of one major power station that there is a pick n pull in an isolated area served by a small road. All empty land around and you drive right under the major electrical supply lines to hundreds of thousands. A little scary actually to hear the sizzling wires.Once the wires broke or one wire dont remember and the whole area was out. I live 30 miles away and the power was out. Such an easy target.

Working at a forklift dealership the electric forklifts while not exactly like a gas engine forklift are very nice in their operation. I could see the use of electric vehicles in certain situations like city vehicles and they are great for virtue signaling. Girls love guys that drive electric vehicles . But then where will the electricity come from to recharge the batteries.

One of those other threads on EVs and batteries probably has a solution to the recharging aspect. Here's for hardening e-mobility against terrorism and invasion.

Working at a forklift dealership the electric forklifts while not exactly like a gas engine forklift are very nice in their operation. I could see the use of electric vehicles in certain situations like city vehicles and they are great for virtue signaling. Girls love guys that drive electric vehicles . But then where will the electricity come from to recharge the batteries.
90 new "safe nuclear" power plants that will never be built.

A rock gets kicked up and beaks off one of the cooling taps from the battery on a Tesla, Tesla's response "That will be $22,000" for a new battery. If the person did not find one of the handful of Tesla mechanics on the side, he would be paying $22,000 for a new battery. It cost $750 to fix the tap. If it was a gas car the water tap fix would of been $150. So for those who don't work on their own cars, 99.999% of you who don't know a privater Tesla mechanic, it would cost you $22,000.

You sure it would be only $150 if ICE? how many times on this board has a problem been presented in a similar manner but for something else? Stuff that comes to mind are needed to register your new 12V car battery, or needing a scan tool to determine trans fluid level after a change. Needing only a section of exhaust pipe but the OEM won’t sell without the cat also.

If you are stuck going to a dealer then its always more expensive it seems.

I don't think it will be long before all of the companies who keep saying they will be all EV by such and such a date will change their plan to one that includes a choice between EVs and ICE vehicles. There's no way this country will be able to go all EVs over the next 10 years...

I don't think it will be long before all of the companies who keep saying they will be all EV by such and such a date will change their plan to one that includes a choice between EVs and ICE vehicles. There's no way this country will be able to go all EVs over the next 10 years...

10 years? Nope, but that’s also not the plan and never has been the plan.

Nothing stopping anyone in almost every state (except possibly WA) from saving their money for the next 12 years and buying a new ICE vehicle in 2034. Then driving it for 12 years (the average age of a car in the US). That gets you to at least 2046 with an ICE vehicle…

Last edited:
10 years? Nope, but that’s also not the plan and never has been the plan.

Nothing stopping anyone in almost every state (except possibly WA) from saving their money for the next 12 years and buying a new ICE vehicle in 2034. Then driving it for 12 years (the average age of a car in the US). That gets you to at least 2046 with an ICE vehicle…
Some automakers have said their entire lineup will be EVs by the end of this decade....not gonna happen...

Back