GM 3.1 V6 picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:

quote:

Originally posted by pbm:
I have a late model Accord (01'). Both the Buick and Honda are excellent cars. One thing that is surprising is the great gas mileage I get with the 3.1 Buick. On long trips I have gotten as high as 34 mpg (with CC set at 70ish) and average 32mpg. Great car so far and absolutely no problems in 46K miles.

By comparison, what does your Honda get for MPG? Everyone seems to have the illusion that American cars are gas hogs, and the Japanese brands run on fumes in the tank.
In my opinion, most of the imports MPG is rather disappointing since many domestic cars can deliver similar numbers with engines twice the size in heavier cars.

My 3.8L '97 Grand Prix can get 30+ MPG consistently on the highway, and it weighs 3650 pounds and will run low 15s in the 1/4 mile.

I don't think I could ask for more out of a car.

Mike: Your absolutely right. My wifes 4 cyl. Accord gets very similar mileage to the Buick which is a 6 cyl. We haven't taken the Accord on any long trips because the Buick is more comfortable but I doubt it would do any better than 32 mpg.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I have a late model Accord (01'). Both the Buick and Honda are excellent cars. One thing that is surprising is the great gas mileage I get with the 3.1 Buick. On long trips I have gotten as high as 34 mpg (with CC set at 70ish) and average 32mpg. Great car so far and absolutely no problems in 46K miles.

By comparison, what does your Honda get for MPG? Everyone seems to have the illusion that American cars are gas hogs, and the Japanese brands run on fumes in the tank.
In my opinion, most of the imports MPG is rather disappointing since many domestic cars can deliver similar numbers with engines twice the size in heavier cars.

My 3.8L '97 Grand Prix can get 30+ MPG consistently on the highway, and it weighs 3650 pounds and will run low 15s in the 1/4 mile.

Mike: Your absolutely right. My wifes 4 cyl. Accord gets very similar mileage to the Buick which is a 6 cyl. We haven't taken the Accord on any long trips because the Buick is more comfortable but I doubt it would do any better than 32 mpg.

Does the Buick 3.8L pass the ULEV standards like the 4 cyl. Accord?

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

'97 Grand Prix can get 30+ MPG consistently on the highway

What about city and stop-n-go driving? Hondas might eek out a bit higher numbers.

Not much better. My wife gets only 24 MPG in stop and go city driving in her Honda. I used to get about 20 MPG in similar driving in my 97 Grand Prix GTP.

I have the '03 Accord ex 5sp auto and it'll murder your Buick with 28mpg city and 37mpg hwy in "no wind" driving.

so, talk a little resale?

You can have your resale value...Accords, Camrys and all are such boring and bland cars. More like appliances than cars.

quote:

Originally posted by doubleshockpower:
I have the '03 Accord ex 5sp auto and it'll murder your Buick with 28mpg city and 37mpg hwy in "no wind" driving.

so, talk a little resale?

That's probably true, but I'd prefer to look at V-6 vs. V-6. Apples to apples, the GM V-6s will trounce the Accord V-6, the Camry V-6, and my Nissan-made (Infiniti) V-6. Whether the GM's superior mileage will make up for the resale disparity I supose depends upon how long one owns the car.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does the Buick 3.8L pass the ULEV standards like the 4 cyl. Accord?

Nope it meets SULEV, better then the Accord.
wink.gif

You can have your resale value...Accords, Camrys and all are such boring and bland cars. More like appliances than cars.

lmao!

lets see they turn harder, stop faster, go faster, farther, use less fuel then resale quicker for more money....boring? bland? how about better? maybe much better.

When one looks up the mileage ratings for a 01' Buick Century with a 3.1L V6 Auto-4 you find it's rated at 20 City 29 Hwy. A '01 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 Auto-4 is rated at 20 City 28 Hwy. Pretty close in my book.

And these are figures that are reproducible. I take any personal claims of fantastic gasoline mileage one way or the other with a large grain of salt.

Reminds of my buddy who was claiming that he was getting 25+ mpg in his Expedition. Then we went on a hunting trip together, where I got to calculate the mileage first hand during the highway portion of the trip. It was more like 17 mpg. When confronted with the data...boy o' boy did the excuses start coming out hot and heavy.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Apples to apples, the GM V-6s will trounce the Accord V-6, the Camry V-6, and my Nissan-made (Infiniti) V-6. Whether the GM's superior mileage will make up for the resale disparity I supose depends upon how long one owns the car.

*** are you talking about? The Nissan/Infiniti V6s in the Maxima/Altima/350Z put out 280hp naturally aspriated, and they're 3.5 liters. The GM, SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V-6 can only muster 240 hp with forced induction. The GM V6s are decent (save for the 3.1/3.4), but in the relm of performance, they're inferior to other engines, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Apples to apples, the GM V-6s will trounce the Accord V-6, the Camry V-6, and my Nissan-made (Infiniti) V-6. Whether the GM's superior mileage will make up for the resale disparity I supose depends upon how long one owns the car.

*** are you talking about? The Nissan/Infiniti V6s in the Maxima/Altima/350Z put out 280hp naturally aspriated, and they're 3.5 liters. The GM, SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V-6 can only muster 240 hp with forced induction. The GM V6s are decent (save for the 3.1/3.4), but in the relm of performance, they're inferior to other engines, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I meant trounce on gas mileage. But the performance margin isn't as great as you may think. Keep in mind, I've owned both GM and a couple Japanese V-6 cars. My present car, a G35 sedan has the 260 hp version of the VQ, not the wilder one you noted. The VQ is made in versions down to about 230 hp off the top of my head. I had a GS Regal with the blown version of the 231, which you mention. Beyond what you said, that engine puts out 280 ft-lb of torque, more than my VQ or my previous Toyota V-6 by a long stretch. AND, it makes that tq at very low rpm. It's naturally aspirated brother makes a good bit less, but it also has a pronounced low rpm torque advantage over the Japanese OHC V-6s.

From driving and owning both, my experience is that the American torque advantage magnifies the difference between the EPA mileage ratings since you have to push the Japanese cars harder to get the same level of performance from them.

FTR-VW has the best resale value per dollar, overtaking the long-time champ, Mercedes-Benz.
grin.gif

Both my 1999 A4 V6 auto AWD wagon and my wife's 1987 Audi Coupe GT (5+5) have on-board digital mpg computers.
I get a solid 23.5-ish average and can pull 33-35 runs over 2+ days of inter-towne driving.
She gets only about 1-2 mpg better.

I am suspect of people's calculated mpg reports, they always seem quite idealized.
rolleyes.gif

Better mpg is something I really want in a new car. I drive over 20k a year.
rolleyes.gif
Hello...Golf.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
{SNIP}I am suspect of people's calculated mpg reports, they always seem quite idealized.
rolleyes.gif

Better mpg is something I really want in a new car. I drive over 20k a year.
rolleyes.gif
Hello...Golf.

Only 20k per year -- heck, get yourself an 8.1L Chevy pickup. I'm doing darned near 40k per year. No idealization of my measured mileage -- I grit my teeth each time I refill my G35 and see numbers from the high teens to low 20s. But I'm willing to pay this price for the other things this car delivers.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I like how the japanese car advocates love to compare old American engines. For one forget about the 3.1,3.4 they've already been discontinued in all cars. Look at the new 3.5(based on the 3.1/3.4) it gets within 1mpg of Toyota and Honda's four cylinders.

Secondly peak horsepower means nothing. Look at you acceleration times of a Grand Prix and a lighter Honda Accord. they both have 240HP but the GP is much faster. Peak HP is for bragging rights. Total average horsepower is what matters unless you have a transmission that can hold your engine at redline.

And most definitely this is off-topic.
offtopic.gif

Come on cant you guy accept that an American engine might be good.
rolleyes.gif
You can't dispute a picture so you've resorted to bickering.

-T

TK -- Frankly, I like them both; they each have distinct strengths in different areas. I have yet to own a sedan than can generate as much neck snap off the line as my S/C-ed Regal GS could.

And the 3.1L V-6 is NOT discontinued yet. Buick still advertises it as the only engine choice is the admittedly on-its-way-out Century.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back