GM 3.1 V6 picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the original poster - That's an amazing shot. Thanks for pulling it apart so we can have a look!

The import vs. domestic debate will never end. People just look for different things in cars, and everyone knows someone that's had one or the other that's fallen apart. Personally I had a 92 Grand Am (3.3L Buick motor) that ran like a champ up till I got rid of it at 165K. Didn't use a drop of oil, didn't leak, great power, a ton of fun. I liked it so much I got another Grand Am.. a 98 3100 SFI GT sedan. The car was so poorly built - both under the hood and inside - that I got rid of it after only owning it 5,000 miles. The whole experience soured me on GM so badly that I swore I'd never go back (the way they handled the constant repairs was the worst part). So now I just kind of chuckle when I'm crusing around in my Civic getting amazing gas mileage with nothing going wrong (yet anyway, I'm only at 40K miles), while my mom puts up with the electrical gremlins in her 02 TrailBlazer and my brother deals with the 97 Blazer 4.3 that eats belts every 8k miles, which GM has declared 'normal'. No wonder Toyota sells more cars now.

We don't seem to have any institutional memory on this board:

Regularly changing the oil every 3,000 miles contributed to keeping the engine of a 1995 pick up truck in near optimal condition even after a million miles of severe driving. This is the observation reached by researchers at Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's Technology Center in The Woodlands, Texas, following a detailed inspection and rating process performed on this million-mile engine.

Pennzoil-Quaker State Company (NYSE:pZL) obtained the million-mile pick up truck in August 2001 from William White of Lawrenceville, Ga. Mr. White had driven his truck, a 1995 Chevrolet, approximately 800 miles per day while delivering newspapers to several cities in North Carolina and Tennessee. Every four workdays, Mr. White took his truck to a local fast lube, Lube 3000, to have his oil changed, always insisting on Pennzoil(R) brand motor oil.

On Aug. 29, 2001, the truck's odometer turned over to 1,000,000 while driving into the Lube 3000 oil-change bay. Pennzoil-Quaker State Company officials were on site to congratulate Mr. White, and take possession of the million-mile truck in exchange for a new pick up. The million-mile truck was then transported to Pennzoil-Quaker State Company's technology center for study.

"The million-mile truck engine is in excellent mechanical condition," said Jeffery Hsu, senior research engineer. "The engine exhibited very minimal wear considering that it was operational for more than one million miles." Of particular importance, "the million-mile engine is very clean in the category of sludge and varnish."

Rating & Measurements:

To rate and measure the million-mile engine for sludge, varnish and wear, CRC (Coordinating Research Council) rating practices were carried out utilizing CRC manuals 12, 14 and 16. The scale of rating is from 1-10, 10 being a part that has not been used and 9.9 being the highest score a clean part can be assigned. The sludge rating of all oil parts had an average of 9.33 with nothing lower than an 8.60, which were recorded on the valve covers. Wear measurements were carried out on applicable lubrication parts with four measurements observed per part and the average being recorded. When possible, the original specification measurements from the manufacturer were used to estimate wear. For example, the cylinder wall measurements averaged 4.001 inches versus the factory new cylinder wall specification of 3.9995 to 4.0025 inches. The wear was so minimal that an average of 11.9 percent of the original crosshatch honing marks were still present.

Comments:

The engine seems to be in excellent condition; both by visual rating for cleanliness and instrumentation measurements for wear. The condition of the engine is indicative of an engine that was well maintained with regular oil changes. This is evidenced by only trace amounts of sludge and the light coloration of varnish. Sludge is usually formed from harmful contaminations accumulating in used oil (fuel, moisture, and blow-by gases). Varnish coloring is associated with temperature; the darker the varnish coloring the more the oil has experienced high temperatures.

Highway driving conditions are typically classified as "normal" driving; however, this vehicle was loaded with bulk papers. The driving cycle of approximately 800 miles a day kept the oil temperature in a very favorable condition where many of the contaminants could be boiled off. The owner's diligence in changing his truck's oil every four days or about 3200 miles provided the engine with fresh lubricant that protected moving parts from sludge accumulation and kept the varnish to a minimum.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
We don't seem to have any institutional memory on this board:

Regularly changing the oil every 3,000 miles contributed to keeping the engine of a 1995 pick up truck in near optimal condition even after a million miles of severe driving.

Just think how long it would have lasted if he used a TP oil filter, a pre oiler and fed it a steady diet of magic elixors.
grin.gif

800 miles a day
rolleyes.gif
,seems a little far fetched huh?

Let's see,he had to of driven 80 mph non stop for 10 hrs straight to reach 800 miles a day.Over 80mph
shocked.gif
delivering papers if he wants to get home "early".

He must of become one with the drivers seat.

That's a nice story. Too bad none of the numbers add up. I'm guessing the marketing department had more to do with this than anyone who owned a calculator.

I'm reminded of an old saying - Figures don't lie but liars figure...
wink.gif

Ok, we do live in the "sucker state" but let me give this dead horse a couple more whacks. My map program says that his route (Lawrenceville, Ga - Spartanburg, SC - Nashville, TN - Lawrenceville) covers 761.23 miles. Lets say that he bought the truck on Sept 1, 1994. That would give him exactly 7 years (it rolled over on 9/29/01) Dividing the million miles by the mileage (761.23) yields 187.666 days per year. In my estimation, and by my calculator it is eminently doable.
grin.gif

quote:

Dividing the million miles by the mileage (761.23) yields 187.666 days per year. In my estimation, and by my calculator it is eminently doable.
grin.gif

Only 188 days per year? What a slacker.
grin.gif

I guess a man has to take some time off to hunt and fish.

If he actually averaged a true 65 mph while he was on the highway and lost about an hour to dropping off papers, one gas stop, a pee break or two, that would be about a 13 hour day. Probably longer on many days. Believable for an aobsessive person. Like I said before, there is a good story there if it's true. After seeing your numbers, I have no reason to think it's impossible.

Even though the guy got a free truck out of the deal, I still think he's a moron for sticking with 3000 mile intervals given the type of driving he did. He easily could've gotten the same results with 6000 mile intervals I bet. I just don't understand the logic of getting your oil changed every single week!

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Dividing the million miles by the mileage (761.23) yields 187.666 days per year. In my estimation, and by my calculator it is eminently doable.
grin.gif

Only 188 days per year? What a slacker.
grin.gif

I guess a man has to take some time off to hunt and fish.

If he actually averaged a true 65 mph while he was on the highway and lost about an hour to dropping off papers, one gas stop, a pee break or two, that would be about a 13 hour day. Probably longer on many days. Believable for an aobsessive person. Like I said before, there is a good story there if it's true. After seeing your numbers, I have no reason to think it's impossible.

It's not "impossible." Just a simple part time job really. 188 days/52 weeks = 3.61 "days" per week. That would give him plenty of spare time to get his oil changed and do minor maintenance every week...

lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
800 miles a day
rolleyes.gif
,seems a little far fetched huh?

Let's see,he had to of driven 80 mph non stop for 10 hrs straight to reach 800 miles a day.Over 80mph
shocked.gif
delivering papers if he wants to get home "early".

He must of become one with the drivers seat.

Sounds like he didn't get that recall notice for US market Chevy pickups to change out the accidentally installed metric speedometers for the US mile speedometers.

If the story is true, it's an amazing story, both for the durability of the man and the truck.

[ November 16, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I still think he's a moron for sticking with 3000 mile intervals given the type of driving he did.

Ouch....

Sorry Patman, I realize that you have a strong opinion about this, but name calling has never been your style....
nono.gif

Ah, yup, I am one of those "morons", too...
lol.gif

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

I still think he's a moron for sticking with 3000 mile intervals given the type of driving he did.

Ouch....

Sorry Patman, I realize that you have a strong opinion about this, but name calling has never been your style....
nono.gif

lol.gif

cheers.gif

Bob W.

I'm not saying everyone that does 3k intervals is a moron, but you have to admit that if a guy is doing 800 miles a day, wouldn't it have been smart for him to research ways that he could have avoided getting his oil changed every 4 days? Why didn't he just have that fast lube place put synthetic in his truck and run it longer? The guy running the fast lube place must've kept his mouth shut too, he saw this big cash cow coming in to visit him so often and never thought to tell the guy he could've done something different and saved himself time and money.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ouch....

nono.gif

lol.gif

cheers.gif

Bob W.

I'm not saying everyone that does 3k intervals is a moron, but you have to admit that if a guy is doing 800 miles a day, wouldn't it have been smart for him to research ways that he could have avoided getting his oil changed every 4 days? Why didn't he just have that fast lube place put synthetic in his truck and run it longer? The guy running the fast lube place must've kept his mouth shut too, he saw this big cash cow coming in to visit him so often and never thought to tell the guy he could've done something different and saved himself time and money.

Oh, I agree with your analysis. I change mine at 3K because I do a lot of stop-n-go, around town, hauling and 4 wheeling when it is really hot (>100 degrees).

I just think the "moron" comment was an un-classy remark from an otherwise really classy fellow (you).

Bob W.

Sorry about that. I'm not usually into name calling, but then again if the guy were here in this thread I wouldn't insult him like that, since he would obviously be able to read for himself that he could've done things much smarter.

quote:

Sorry about that. I'm not usually into name calling, but then again if the guy were here in this thread I wouldn't insult him like that, since he would obviously be able to read for himself that he could've done things much smarter.

Ah, no worries. We are all just trying to learn more and appreciate the good job able moderators such as yourself do.

Bob W.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Well, that's 333 oil changes.

How much do one of those places charge to change oil?

About 25 clams.

Double ouch, that's $8,325 in oil changes....

lol.gif

Bob W.

Someone should figure out how much he spent in gas to drive one million miles!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back