Glock 44

Al

Said I would never buy another Glock after getting rid of my G43, 43, and 26.

I decided to mostly switch to using .22 with a semi. After much reading the list for me was Glock44, Shield, Tarus TX22.

The Glock has an amazing trigger. Its long,. but the takeup pressure is less than a # and when you feel resistance there is almost zero "squish" 100% surprise break.

Anyway, I love it. It is identical in size to a G19 and weighs 12.5 ounces. On my second shooting I put 10 in a 2" circle and 5 of those in a 5" circle and I had a cup of coffee a couple hours before!!!

Glock’s site lists it at 14.64 empty which is certainly light for it’s size. I have a Buckmark which is a joy to shoot but wouldnt look the other way if I was in the market for another .22 pistol.

Edit: Sorry Al, I was stating the weight with an empty mag.

Last edited:
Congrats. Its an interesting option, I had the bug for a SA .22 for a while when the G44 came out...

But a LNIB 1950's S&W 17 & 18 did it for me... So no Glock 44 or Walther P22 in the end...

I’m waffling between a S&W Victory and a Browning Buckmark currently. Local gun shop has plenty of the Victory...felt good in the hand and I like the fiber optic sights......

ruger sr22. reliable. easy to fieldstrip. small enough to serve as a ccw. great warranty, if you ever need it.

Reactions: Al
ruger sr22. reliable. easy to fieldstrip. small enough to serve as a ccw. great warranty, if you ever need it.
DA/SA is a deal breaker for me. Using the G44 for SD training. If your carry gun is DA/SA that's OK. But your proficiency in Self Defense will always be limited with DA/SA

DA/SA is a deal breaker for me. Using the G44 for SD training. If your carry gun is DA/SA that's OK. But your proficiency in Self Defense will always be limited with DA/SA

How so?

Ive tried a sequence many times at the range - shoot DAO a bunch, then move to a striker fired pistol. It’s easy to have incorrect/inconsistent trigger control. Ive even double fired somehow by accident on the first round or two when I’ve swapped. Ive tried this to see just how bad my muscle control and memory might be. I know some say to train more, but for most people it’s impractical, especially now.

Are you saying proficiency is limited because of the longer/heavy DA pull? If so that’s a fair point, but to that end, isn’t the G44 pull different than a 19? Rim fires need a heavier hammer/strike.

Are you saying proficiency is limited because of the longer/heavy DA pull? If so that’s a fair point, but to that end, isn’t the G44 pull different than a 19? Rim fires need a heavier hammer/strike.
You need consistency on every shot and the trigger is a large part of it. And its "muscle memory" which you can't alter and make it be the same for the DA/SA. I can't explain it. Good hands-on training by a capable instructor would makes it very clear for you. I have had the best training possible and better trained than 99 out of 100 folks that carry. But I certainly am not where I want to be.

The G44 trigger is close to the Glocks I have fired. Certainly not inferior and better IMHO. It has a consistent "reset" which is (again) most important in defensive encounters.

Is a DA/SA trigger a game changer for a defensive situation? In real life that normal folks have prevailed? Of course not. But if you want to really advance your skills correctly in this area, it is a negative game changer In my personal opinion.

The Glock 44 really is a fun pistol. If I had to choose between my 1950/60s S&W .22 revolvers I’d take them, but the Glock .44 really is enjoyable to shoot. And very accurate and consistent too!

23C0E2A0-4EDB-414D-9A52-1DBAF229D351.jpeg
F0BD9FB3-4F2A-4DD8-B861-BCA5996C0956.jpeg
2B416A51-3028-45BC-B9AB-173E8C77A81A.jpeg
22C6F11A-9811-40DC-83DA-8F1C69BCFDFF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back