Done With Glocks

Don't want to take Astro's thunder but a standard round ( assuming a proper load) has more than enough energy to cycle the weapon in terms of force.

In some calibers, there are guns that like hotter ammo to cycle.

But Glock isn’t usually one of them.

I’ve got a Glock 20, which is a 10mm. As most of you probably know, most 10mm ammo on the market is the “FBI Load”, a 180g bullet at 1050FPS.

That is pretty weak in energy when compared with full power 10mm that puts the same projectile down range at 1250+ FPS, and the roughly 20% increase in velocity yields a roughly 40% increase in muzzle energy and recoil.

To better handle the full power ammo (keep the velocity spread down) I installed a stronger recoil spring in my Glock 20.

But even with that stronger recoil spring, my Glock 20 cycles the weak 10mm stuff reliably.

My wife’s Beretta 92 had a few stovepipe* in its first 50 rounds. Brand new guns sometimes need a bit of break in. It’s been super reliable ever since. And clearly, Al’s gun isn’t in need of break in.

A failure to extract could be an extractor problem, broken spring, dirty extractor, etc. but a stovepipe is caused by a slide that doesn’t cycle fully.

And we’ve touched on possibilities there.

*Also, it was with Winchester white box, made in 2012. Used to be my go to, but I’ve had really terrible luck with that ammo since 2012. I don’t buy it any more. It’s poorly made, and causes malfunctions in every kind of gun I own

Last edited:
Gun stores literally have almost no guns to sell. Depends on where you are but.. apparently, they are all bought up.

I say almost because, as a store, you would think it their business to stock up, order more, fill orders.. hence, my optimism. But there seem to be none for sale due to being all sold, as mentioned in an above post..

Happy someone else has experienced the same. Makes me wonder how the private sellers on armslist.com are faring, if anyone really needed one.

I've been to the gun store in town last week. Several hundred guns on hand. Rifles, handguns, shotguns. Prices are up a little, but some good guns are on the shelves. Took a close look at a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 10mm. Nice gun. Saw plenty of Glocks, and black rifles, on the shelves.

So, yeah, demand is up, prices are up, but the shelves aren't completely bare, at least, not here...

Wolf, Federal, Blazer and Lawman. Problems with at least 3 of them
Not saying that you don’t have an issue, just letting you know my story.

I purchased my Glock 26 back in August of 2001. Primarily as a home defense weapon that my wife and I were comfortable to use. That being said, I had it listed as my back up gun subjecting it to the spec’s of my Dept. Sometime after the purchase, I was notified to report to the Dept Gunsmith for ”modifications” on the 26. When I arrived, I was greeted by a Glock Armorer who explained to me that they were going to “notch” the rear ejection port on the right side of the slide by about 15 degrees (See circled spot in image). Seems that there were some random FTE’s that were remedied by this procedure. Although I never had a problem myself, I gladly let them proceed.

For what its worth, I’m running Speer Gold Dots, LE 124 gr GDHP +p.

FBDCBF84-6AD3-474E-8A70-066B227F7DB7.jpeg
FBDCBF84-6AD3-474E-8A70-066B227F7DB7.jpeg

I've been to the gun store in town last week. Several hundred guns on hand. Rifles, handguns, shotguns. Prices are up a little, but some good guns are on the shelves. Took a close look at a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 10mm. Nice gun. Saw plenty of Glocks, and black rifles, on the shelves.

So, yeah, demand is up, prices are up, but the shelves aren't completely bare, at least, not here...

A GAP in 10mm, and another 10mm. I would ask you how you like the 10mm cartridge? If it was not so OT

I've had 2 G42's. Both stovepiped at least once every mag on FMJ target ammo. Neither ever did it even once with carry ammo with hollow points or Underwood with Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or Defenders. Other carry ammo included Freedom Munitions with Hornady XTP's, Remington Golden Sabers, or Critical Defense or Critical Duty ammo. Not one. But I still didn't trust it because of the issues with practice ammo. So I sold them and picked up a 43.

The 43 has been flawless through all types of ammo for many, many rounds. It is my most common carry gun. I've also shot ETS mags, which many loathe, all with no issues. (I carry with only factory mags on the 43.)

I have a 19 through which I've put thousands of rounds, and also frequently carry. Not one issue. This includes many rounds through cheap Korean 33 round stick mags, ETS, and Magpul mags. I think the Magpul mags are darned good, btw, and would not hesitate to carry them. I'm frankly amazed the 33 round Korean mags have never given it an issue. That's all probably because I think the G19 is the gold standard, along with the G17. If I had to choose one handgun and one only, knowing I'd have to depend on it for the rest of my life, it would be a draw between the G19 and G17.

I also have a G20. I haven't shot that many rounds though it because it is my carry gun in big bear country. But in the few hundred rounds I've shot, no issue.

With the 42, I would not be surprised if there is an operator element to the failures to eject. My hands are large and that gun is tiny. Still, I wish it had worked out. I loved the size and low recoil of that little gun. What a hoot it was to shoot it.

Use stronger ammo ? Have to give the slide enough force to cycle back. The whole mechanism, actually.

Astro14 you seem an avid shooter, would you agree or disagree with that statement. Maybe a higher grain round in the specified caliber?
Stovepipes in glocks are usually limpwrist induced. I would suggest +p ammunition be used in a Glock 9mm handgun. In fact, +P+ works great, but the industry has moved away from the old 127gr +P+ Ranger T-series stuff. Glocks like hot ammo because...

-they over-spring them from the factory so they can go darn near forever without PM.
-the frames flex, absorbing energy that otherwise would be transferred to the slide/shooter/process of cycling.

These two factors make Glock very prone to any sort of limp-wristing, or failure under unconventional positions. I have found the M&P's to be less susceptible to this. SIG in general is just one big "NOPE" from me, unless you can find a folded slide P226 or older P229. Those are seriously good guns.

A GAP in 10mm, and another 10mm. I would ask you how you like the 10mm cartridge? If it was not so OT
I’ll keep this brief, because it is OT. I’m a big 10mm fan, and I’ve posted about it quite a bit on BITOG. I’ve just tried out the new forum search function, putting “10mm” in the search term and my username in the “by user”.

A couple of pages of results. Give it a shot (couldn’t resist...).

I'm not a glock fan boy but they do work for me. I have a 26 and 21(x2), all of them have many,many rounds put through them and I have NEVER had a FTE with any of them. The 26 has been through several 50 round drum dumps and the 21s have ate multiple 26 round mags.
The 26 is the wife's CCW and the 21s live in the MCK braces.

I had some FTEs initially with a Taurus PT709 (wife wanted a slimmer EDC), it worked flawless for her but not me. I figured out that I was limp wristing the gun because it was to small for my hand and I could only get 3 fingers around the grip. No issues since I figured out how to hold it.

Hi Gents.
I am guessing a lot of your Law Enforcement people are using Glocks. If 'limp wristing' was a Glock issue, has this shown up on the practice ranges with slightly built female officers? I never liked Glocks but then i was never allowed to carry them for personal defence.

I have shot a lot of Handguns. My favourite non custom was the CZ 75. Total reliability. I was determined that the Gov't would not get a nice example when they took it. Last few months i owned it it was never cleaned, shot until it was seriously hot and just generally abused. Never once failed me. Had i lived in a more enlightened society that is the one i would have carried.

On the subject of 10mm. I always wanted a Colt Delta Elite. Oh well, happy memories.

I’ll keep this brief, because it is OT. I’m a big 10mm fan, and I’ve posted about it quite a bit on BITOG. I’ve just tried out the new forum search function, putting “10mm” in the search term and my username in the “by user”.

A couple of pages of results. Give it a shot (couldn’t resist...).

If it works as good as Google results for this same site.. I'll give it a shot. 🙂

42's had problems immediately after the model's initial release. Glock fixed that and they run fine now. It is the only Glock I have that is sensitive to bullet weight. The one in my stable likes 95-100 grain rounds. It really isn't picky as long as I am in that range. As a Glock armorer is really perplexing to see a specific model Glock behave like this. Never seen it before.

This is why I prefer "wheeling" ( that said, I'm also not going to bring half moon to a firefight either but we all have a favorite)

Again to those that keep suggesting its limpwristing. Well leave it there but a gun that can't be limpwristed is not a gun I am gonna carry. I limpwristed my 43 and 42 years ago and it was not an issue.

One thing I will say vs wheel guns on the first shot a wheel gun may not be as reliable as a semi. bcof the mechanism on the cylinder. Had a dan wesson fail that way.

Back