Beretta 92 fs-an 800 round review

I thought I would share my experience with my new 92 fs after 800 rounds.

Overall, I am pleased with this pistol. It's easy to field strip, clean and relube. It's an accurate shooter. The finish on both the slide and the frame is holding up pretty well. The slide is done in "Bruniton", and the frame is anodized black. The plastic grip panels are still looking nice and all the other polymer/polymer coated pieces are showing nicely too. The frame is starting to show some decent finish wear, but nothing too drastic. The fit and finish seems quite good.

The only thing I've experienced that I can really call an issue is I've had 3 failure to extract instances in this time, and one stovepipe. I have rather meticulously cleaned and lubed the pistol, but not over lubed, and tried different brands of 9mm ammo. I had thought I'd found an ammo it liked, but had two FTE's this week in close proximity to one another. I've found no damage or misplacement with the extractor mechanism. It's something I've decided to continue to work with to see if I can find a particular ammo this 92 likes. I also have submitted a service request to Beretta, and I'm waiting to hear back.

All of these things being said, I'm content with my purchase and really enjoy shooting this firearm. I'm glad to have it.

Chamber clean? What kind of ammo? Standard brass? I’ve found that some Flitz on a chamber brush and hitting it with a drill will help clean up the chamber and make it slick as snot. Helps a lot with ejection if sticking is causing your issue.

Chamber clean? What kind of ammo? Standard brass? I’ve found that some Flitz on a chamber brush and hitting it with a drill will help clean up the chamber and make it slick as snot. Helps a lot with ejection if sticking is causing your issue.
Almost all of it has been standard pressure fmj ammo. The last 250-275 rounds have been exclusively Sellier and Bellot in both 115 and 124 gr. I had no extraction issues until around the 270ish range. I typically clean after every multi hundred round shooting session. The chamber was clean at the 250 s&b mark. I'll give the light polishing a try. I'm still learning a lot about firearms in general and these pistols in particular, so I haven't tried any maintenance aside from standard cleaning and oiling. Other brands have been regular Remington fmj(can't recall issues), Winchester fmj(confirmed 1 failure to extract) blazer brass(can't recall issues) and some Hornady critical defense (no issues). Thank you for the polishing idea. 👍

Glad you like it. Few thousand more rounds downrange and you'll know what you have on your hands. Don't sweat the cleaning, the 92 can run reliably on the dirty side just fine. If you are running grease on the rails, clean it out with a Q-Tip, use a dropper and lube the rails with oil. Then give the ammo that it doesn't seem to like another try. May work, or may not but an easy attempt. Enjoy it and shoot straight!

If FTE's continue read up on the extractor and ensure your extractor is functioning correctly. You should be able to find an armorer's check of the extractor online. I'd elaborate but I'm not up deep enough on the 92's.

Glad you like it. Few thousand more rounds downrange and you'll know what you have on your hands. Don't sweat the cleaning, the 92 can run reliably on the dirty side just fine. If you are running grease on the rails, clean it out with a Q-Tip, use a dropper and lube the rails with oil. Then give the ammo that it doesn't seem to like another try. May work, or may not but an easy attempt. Enjoy it and shoot straight!

If FTE's continue read up on the extractor and ensure your extractor is functioning correctly. You should be able to find an armorer's check of the extractor online. I'd elaborate but I'm not up deep enough on the 92's.
I did run grease after the previous cleaning, but I think I'll go back to oil on the next one. I'm going to try a light polish on the chamber while I'm there. I bought an older model 96 last night and I'm waiting for my delay to clear. If I get it before the weekend I've got a lot of pistol cleaning to do. 🙂

If dirt gets under the “lever” region of the extractor between it and the slide, It can reduce the purchase it has on the rim of the cartridge.

Check and clean if needed
I've looked it over pretty good and haven't been able to find any gunk packed around it, and the extractor seems to be getting a good purchase on the rim of the case. But that's certainly something I'll keep in mind. 👍

I would be sending it back, unless you never carry it.
Sending it back to Beretta is a possibility, I'm waiting to hear back from them. Until then I'm going to continue to enjoy it.

Well guys, I did a light polishing on the chamber this evening and cleaned/lubed it again. Hopefully I can do some shooting to see if the polish helped. That Flitz is good polish. 👍

I put about 100 rounds of Remington 115 gr fmj through the 92 today. I meant to shoot a lot more, and also shoot Sellier and Bellot, but I kind of got distracted by the 96. 😅 No malfunctions on the 92, but I really didn't shoot it enough to know if my chamber polish did the trick.

I really enjoy my Beretta 92fs. I shot it recently (took a break from my .45 1911s) and forgot what a smooth functioning firearm it is. I have over 3,700 rounds through mine and don't recall having any issues. I replaced guide rod with the steel one and run my Beretta on the wet side (when I used CLP). Now I'm using Gun Butter and it seems to like it with normal application. I do clean and relube after every use so haven't shot it super dirty. Great pistol.

Back