General Motors Unseated As America’s Top Selling Automaker.

The wife's Mercedes required three days of recall work, so they asked us to get a rental and then they immediately reimbursed. I had to use the Enterprise that was close to the dealership and I choose a 2020 Chevy Silverado Half-ton. My father was a Chevy man for 50 years and while I really liked the trucks he owned in the 80's-90's..... modern Chevy's left me wanting.

The 2020 Silverado just seemed hollow and extremely cheap in regard to the body and interior. The engine took some getting use too, as it was the little V8 gasser and I've been driving a "tuned" EcoDiesel with nearly 500ftlbs of torque. The power train was acceptable. The truck just seemed really cheaply built and if I were test driving it..... no way would I purchase one.

People want cars assembled in developed countries.
True. And don't underestimate the damage the UAW as done to the competitiveness of the big 3 over the years. The last I checked Toyota is still none-union in the US.

Imagine how much more money could be spent on product without the additional legacy costs due to the union.

This isn't going to be an anti-union rant, but it's something Toyota doesn't have to deal with and makes them more competitive.

I think Toyota builds better quality vehicles than GM does overall but if quality was the determining factor in sales then they would have surpassed them a long time ago. This really just seems like Toyota managed their supply chain better than GM did.
That's exactly what it is.

Their design team hasn't done them any favors as of late, either. Taste is subjective, but I wouldn't want to face any of this in my driveway daily.

GM.jpg

No car company has truck sales like the domestic sales. Toyota only sells about 1/5 the trucks as GM and 1/8 of Ford.
I know several people who wanted high end trucks and SUV’s but nothing to be found in the right configurations and price - so yeah the chip thing was a big deal at the worst of times …
At least it will bring a few chip manufacturers here …

I was a Chevy basher until I had an 07 Silverado as a company truck. I really liked that truck, but it was built like a car, used oil, blew the transmission at 86,000 miles, and rusted prematurely. The rust was not as bad as a Dodge, but bad. The 12 I got to replace it was NOT better. The transmission sucked and the seats were uncomfortable. I was in a 2014 F150 after that and it was a much better truck.

The domestic auto makers giving up on sedans is also what puts Toyota at the top. Gas prices will increase, and sedan demand will still be there.

I would have never bought an 09 Chevy car, but I confidently bought my 09 Camry. Longevity is not a Chevy talent.

True. And don't underestimate the damage the UAW as done to the competitiveness of the big 3 over the years. The last I checked Toyota is still none-union in the US.

Imagine how much more money could be spent on product without the additional legacy costs due to the union.

This isn't going to be an anti-union rant, but it's something Toyota doesn't have to deal with and makes them more competitiv

Plenty of blame to go around, GM has always been a poorly run company, blaming the UAW is just going for the low hanging fruit.

Agreed. I always assumed it was Toyota. And after owning a GM product for two years (2018 Silverado bought new), I’ll never buy another again.
I have the same truck that I bought new and I have to say I agree with you. The refinement on a $54,000 (MSRP) vehicle is pitiful.

GM had lost nearly every segment lead to this or that competitor, but made up tremendous ground with rental fleets.
They will be going the way of Nissan then. Target production of cheap 30k mile lifespan vehicles to get through the rental period.

No where to go but down.

Back