General Altimax Arctic 12 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a set of Generals Altimax Arctic 12 for this winter.

My Mazda 3 is really a tank in the snow. Deep and light snow traction is amazing. Didn't get stuck once and I live in Atlantic Canada.

I can def compare these with the famous Blizzak WS50 for deep snow tracation.

Ice traction is great, you can add studs as well, but I didnt feel the need.

Only downside, it is a bit noisy on the highway around 100 km/h, but I dont care, I travel 50 min twice a day for work, and these get the job done.

Highly recommend for deep snow traction, slushy roads, even excellent in heavy rain.

20200310_173605.jpg

20200310_173557.jpg

20200310_173629.jpg

Continental owns both General and Gislaved

Continental made the business decision to use old Gislaved designs for the General passenger car winter tires in the US/Canada

The original General Altimax Arctic was the Gislaved NordFrost-3

The current General Altimax Arctic 12 is the Gislaved NordFrost 100.

Gislaved's current NordFrost is the 200.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Gislaved's current NordFrost is the 200.

Which is using the tread design from Continental's ContiIceContact

I have the 12s on the Taurus, car does great in the snow. Will more than likely be putting a set of the Arctic 12s on the next FWD car that I get soon here.

Continental always seems to make me happy.

I hope they are a lot better than the original Altimax Arctics. I didn't like these compared to the GY Ultragrip Ice WRT.

Had the regular AltiMAX Arctic on my daughter's '06 Mazda3 and she said the car was an animal. We kept the wheels & tires and are now using the same on her '15 Civic in my signature. Had 7/32nd at the start of this winter and no issues.

I have the Arctic 12's on my RWD BMW (2nd year on them now) and they are fantastic. Even just being RWD my car is a tank in the snow. I feel very confident with them and even drove through 5" of snow without issue. I commute 90 miles a day and they have held up well and don't seem too noisy (mine are 205/55R16), and are wearing very well.

That is what I have ran on 2009 sonata and our Forester as well. This winter has been pretty mild here in Lincoln Ne (i could have done as well with all seasons ) But when the big storm hits I have never regretted having altimax arctics on all 4 wheels. Last winter was lots worse and they performed very well. While vehicles with all season tires struggled altimax had no issues in snow slush or wet roads. I leave them on year round on our sonata since it barely gets 2000 miles a year put on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back