Nokian Outpost APT All-Weather (Winter) Review

My new car arrived 3 days before the first major snowstorm here in Metro Vancouver. I had APTs installed and was able to break them in for 100 km before the snowstorm hit on Wed. I had my set inflated 4 psi (37 psi) above placard (Hyundai recommends +3 psi winter tires if the temps are known to be dropping).

The conditions were ripe for mayhem and mayhem it was, especially in a city where 47% of people have yet to install winter tires. It was -1C and 2pm when the snow started. It kept going for the rest of the afternoon and into mid-evening at a rate of 5 cm/hr. Temps fluctuated between 1C and -1C depending on the microclimate. Traffic was gridlocked everywhere with many slipping and sliding and crashing into things. I was with my son and left his gym at 6:30pm. Got within 3 km of my place but all access routes to the top of the hill where I lived were grid-locked. Had dinner at a local mall and then by 9:30 pm decided to drive 15 km west where the traffic wasn’t as bad and spent the night at relatives. Commuters were stuck on highways past midnight. By the time I arrived at my relatives, 15 to 20 cm had fallen depending on where you were. Despite my rant it really shows the chaos that ensues here in the west when the snow does come. But it sets the stage for my actual review.

During the chaos, my set of APTs faced deep puddles, slush, powder snow, deep snow compact snow, and ice, and many hills. Quite the shakedown indeed. But in one word, confidence! I had no problems driving off on a stand-still on either level or uphills, and no problems stopping whatsoever. My car was stable and I was in complete control at all times.

Yes, the APT is considered an all-weather tire. But despite this classification, I’d have to say that they exceeded my expectations for an all-weather, and exceeded the grip and handling on my previous set of General Altimax Arctic, seriously. But I suppose this isn't a big surprise since the General Altimax Arctic is a relatively older tire model and tech has change/improved. It's hard to say how the APT would perform in much colder temps (< -5C). But for the west coast where snowstorms are in the +2C to -4C range, the APT as an all-weather is an ideal solution for cross-over SUVs I feel. Where the General Altimax Arctic falter is when we get the odd pineapple express +14C winter rainstorms originating from Hawaii. Under these circumstances, the Altimax would get really squirrelly and stopping distances worsen (become significantly longer) compared to my UHP set (Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4). I suspect the APT would perform much better than the Altimax during these winter temperature spikes.

This is the winter review. I’ll be back for a summer (limited) off-road review.

My new car arrived 3 days before the first major snowstorm here in Metro Vancouver. I had APTs installed and was able to break them in for 100 km before the snowstorm hit on Wed. I had my set inflated 4 psi (37 psi) above placard (Hyundai recommends +3 psi winter tires if the temps are known to be dropping).

The conditions were ripe for mayhem and mayhem it was, especially in a city where 47% of people have yet to install winter tires. It was -1C and 2pm when the snow started. It kept going for the rest of the afternoon and into mid-evening at a rate of 5 cm/hr. Temps fluctuated between 1C and -1C depending on the microclimate. Traffic was gridlocked everywhere with many slipping and sliding and crashing into things. I was with my son and left his gym at 6:30pm. Got within 3 km of my place but all access routes to the top of the hill where I lived were grid-locked. Had dinner at a local mall and then by 9:30 pm decided to drive 15 km west where the traffic wasn’t as bad and spent the night at relatives. Commuters were stuck on highways past midnight. By the time I arrived at my relatives, 15 to 20 cm had fallen depending on where you were. Despite my rant it really shows the chaos that ensues here in the west when the snow does come. But it sets the stage for my actual review.

During the chaos, my set of APTs faced deep puddles, slush, powder snow, deep snow compact snow, and ice, and many hills. Quite the shakedown indeed. But in one word, confidence! I had no problems driving off on a stand-still on either level or uphills, and no problems stopping whatsoever. My car was stable and I was in complete control at all times.

Yes, the APT is considered an all-weather tire. But despite this classification, I’d have to say that they exceeded my expectations for an all-weather, and exceeded the grip and handling on my previous set of General Altimax Arctic, seriously. But I suppose this isn't a big surprise since the General Altimax Arctic is a relatively older tire model and tech has change/improved. It's hard to say how the APT would perform in much colder temps (< -5C). But for the west coast where snowstorms are in the +2C to -4C range, the APT as an all-weather is an ideal solution for cross-over SUVs I feel. Where the General Altimax Arctic falter is when we get the odd pineapple express +14C winter rainstorms originating from Hawaii. Under these circumstances, the Altimax would get really squirrelly and stopping distances worsen (become significantly longer) compared to my UHP set (Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4). I suspect the APT would perform much better than the Altimax during these winter temperature spikes.

Sounds like a great tire choice. Where are they made? Thanks.

Glad it all worked out for you, but the APT is not an all-weather it is however an all-terrain tire. That's how it is classified.
For true all weathers you must look at the WR G sets. The APT does not have the asymmetric construction of 2 different rubber compounds.

I'm not sure there is an industry standard for what makes an "all-weather tire". But it is the terminology Nokian uses when they describe the Outpost APT on their product page.

"The Outpost APT is an all-weather tire and carries the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol that certifies it's suitability for driving in wintry conditions."

But regardless, it is an all-terrain tire (as you said) that carries the 3-PMSF symbol. I think the symbol only requires the tire to be 10% "better" than an all-season (whatever that means). But from my experience it works really well for cross-over SUVs in the variable freeze-thaw conditions we get and I suspect far exceeds the symbol's requirements. In the range of 3-PMSF all-terrains, I'd say the Outpost APT slots in the more "winter-biased" of this range. I say this as there are other 3-PMSF all-terrain tires that have far less aggressive micro-siping that also carry this symbol (but are probably more 3-season biased).

Last edited:
Glad it all worked out for you, but the APT is not an all-weather it is however an all-terrain tire. That's how it is classified.
For true all weathers you must look at the WR G sets. The APT does not have the asymmetric construction of 2 different rubber compounds.
Nokian disagrees

And the WR G4 isn't assymetric like a Blizzak WS/DM series tire. It's assymetric an in the tread pattern.

1669934152441.png

Nokian disagrees

And the WR G4 isn't assymetric like a Blizzak WS/DM series tire. It's assymetric an in the tread pattern.

View attachment 128810
There may be asymmetry in the thread as in directional tires, but that does not make it an all weather, even Nokia calls it an "All Purpose-Terrain Tire" whereas the WR G IS called an All Weather.

There may be asymmetry in the thread as in directional tires, but that does not make it an all weather, even Nokia calls it an "All Purpose-Terrain Tire" whereas the WR G IS called an All Weather.
Assymetric tires are not directional tires. You can still cross-rotate Assymmetric tires

Did you miss the hashtag on the Outpost tires? #allweathertires

or the part that Nokian grouped them altogether as "SUV All-weather"?

Maybe some BITOG people know more than the tire manufacturer? and think they belong in the SUV All-season category.,

Last edited:
Other tires seriously considered included:
-Michelin Cross-Climate 2 (ubiquitous here in Metro Vancouver)
-Nokian WRG4 (equally ubiquitous here in Metro Vancouver)
-Nitto Nomad Grappler

Just a follow-up. Here in Metro Vancouver, we've had about 5 days of < -10C nights followed by a quick warm up yesterday which included 10 cm of ice pellets, followed by freezing rain, then heavy rain. During the ice pellet phase, air temps transitioned from -10C to 0C in about 12 hours. As can be expected in the normally wet-coast, our highway conditions were pathetically poor and covered with compacted ice pellets. Two major bridges were closed. Thank goodness the public largely stayed at home and roads were mostly traffic-free. The odd spun out vehicle was spotted. Despite the warnings, there were still some who ventured out with all-seasons and were slipping and spinning around in the municipal streets and even on minor hills. Big fail to those people.

The Outpost APT, considered an all-weather, remained pliable and during the preceding arctic outflow conditions at -12C. Car had no problems navigating the compacted snow and ice that had accumulated. During the warm-up, which followed, I did experience some wobbling in parking lots which were coated in ice pellets, but the car quickly righted itself upon correction maneuvers. On the highway, during lane changes, the car remained stable and confidently plowed through the ice pellet piles between the lanes and within the lanes themselves.

Perhaps my car having AWD is a factor. But having additional clearance (7.3") (compared to my Focus ST at 4.5"), AWD, and the Nokian Outpost APT was a winning combo during these difficult few weeks here in Metro Vancouver. Definitely a step up from the older General Altimax Arctic (dedicated winter) I had on my ST. Very impressive for a mild off-road tire.

I am retired, living on a side of a snowy mountain. There is no need for me to go driving in active snow or ice storms. My hot set up is Nokian Z Lineall seasons on a AWD BMW X5. They stick nicely to damp winter roads, handle well in the dry, and are speed rated for over V. But they were made in Nokian's Russian factory. I found a spare set at a bargain price ($125 each), but beyond that set, they may disappear from the USA market.

I am retired, living on a side of a snowy mountain. There is no need for me to go driving in active snow or ice storms. My hot set up is Nokian Z Lineall seasons on a AWD BMW X5. They stick nicely to damp winter roads, handle well in the dry, and are speed rated for over V. But they were made in Nokian's Russian factory. I found a spare set at a bargain price ($125 each), but beyond that set, they may disappear from the USA market.
Yeah, so are mine (made in Russia). Kal-Tire here informed me that 2022 onwards their entire tire line up have been manufactured in their new Dayton Tennessee plant. So looks like you and I got the remaining stock from Russia.

Indeed, Kal informed me that Nokian's plant in Dayton opening in 2020 was a stroke of luck given Russia-NATO relations leading up to the invasion in 2022.

Out of curiosity, how stiff are the sidewalls and how do they compare with UHP all-seasons you've used in the past? I'm currently on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 (unmounted in the winter currently). While I love them, if there's a want/comment, it would be for stiffer sidewalls as I like a very direct feel and turn-in performance. I'm open to alternatives once my MPSAS4s wear out. There isn't a whole lot of reviews out there for the Nokian Z Line.

The Nokians I use on the 2013 BMW X5 are

Nokian zLine A/S SUV 255/55R18 109W​

With a W speed rating and 109 Load index, the sidewalls will be reasonably stiff. However, they are not run flat tires. So, they provide a much smoother ride than the Bridgestone run flats that BMW supplied as original equipment. I generally dislike run flats as giving too stiff a ride, and adding a lot of rotating mass and unsprung weight. My BMW has a space saver spare, and I have a AAA Premier card.

Back