French Kids and ADHD

Status
Not open for further replies.
French parenting, according to the attached article, is simply better. No Freedom Fries until dinner, young 'un!

Well I guess we should all move to France.
lol.gif
BTW, My ADHD kid just graduated college last weekend...she starts her $50k job in a few weeks.
lol.gif

If your only tool is a hammer, then every problem has to be a nail.

And if a drug company can make money out of a "diagnosis", then stretch the other diagnoses in which that drug is indicated, then every kid ends up on drugs.

That being said, it's double edged, as many parents want a diagnosis and a drug for their kids rather than a kick in the pants or proper parenting.

Interesting article to see. I have seen this be a problem for many people but I think a lot of the causes are pretty obvious. When you feed your child junk food all day long to keep their mouth shut it is pretty obvious what will be the end result. If your kid eats 10-15,000 mg of sodium and drinks a 2 liter bottle of caffeinated soda why would you wonder why they can't sit still? I have seen kids misbehave all over the place and when the parent tries to do something about it I heard the little kid say "you better not touch me or I will call the police on you" . I think stuff like that has gotten out of hand. Many people just eat junk because they are too lazy to cook. Not fair to the kids though. Let's face it Spaghetti O's are not food. I myself liked them as a kid but it was not food, it was an occasional treat because all the other kids were eating them too.
I knew someone who had a 3 year old son and all he wanted to drink was Coca Cola. She used to give it to him in a baby bottle and he would usually go through at least a 2 liter bottle a day. She then had to give him tranquilizers for him to sleep at night after she wore him out. I wonder why he ran back and forth all day? You would think he was fat from all the sugar but he actually ran around so much from the caffeine that he was slim. He is now in his mid 20's and basically a loser that doesn't even want to work so her parenting skills did not result in much at all. I just love it when parents do all the wrong things and swear by their methods when the things they are doing wrong are so obvious. Most of those people you can not talk to anyway so it will never change.
I know another family that is dealing with many health problems. They say they eat salad (with an entire bottle of dressing being used at each dinner along with shredded cheese). Everything they eat is basically frozen and cooked in their Fry Daddy. It's like HELLO do you not see what you are doing wrong?
I totally understand that nobody should abuse their children, why would you do that? But on the other hand when the parent is creating the kid's problems due to laziness etc. it is really sad and not fair to the child. Drugging up a child because of bad parenting does not fix anything, might be why many children are on meds and they are not working. I think it would be good for the industry to maybe look at the whole picture instead of trying to figure out how they can make money off of you by taking out the prescription book and scheduling your next visit.

Quote:
In the United States, the strict focus on pharmaceutical treatment of ADHD, however, encourages clinicians to ignore the influence of dietary factors on children's behavior.

01.gif

It's a pop article without any scientific support written by someone with bias. It's basically an opinion piece.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Seems Doog has to brush up on his American history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War

Quote:

In the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), France fought alongside the United States, against Britain, from 1778. French money, munitions, soldiers and naval forces proved essential to America's victory over the Crown, but France gained little except large debts.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Seems Doog has to brush up on his American history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War

Quote:

In the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), France fought alongside the United States, against Britain, from 1778. French money, munitions, soldiers and naval forces proved essential to America's victory over the Crown, but France gained little except large debts.

Just sayin'.

I said the same thing to one of my Limbaugh listening, jingoistic authority loving friends, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Pop article, why? This I can personally testify to. I have had over 30 foster kids come and go from my house. Every one of them were on ADHD meds. All but one were off by the time the left my house. Why? I was mean and forced them to get sleep, eat things with actual nutritional value and we almost never had sugary or caffeinated drinks. We had boundaries and consequences. We also limited the use of TV, video games and computers. However, I still had to fight with the psychologist to get meds decreased and eventually removed. More important, where are the studies on the effects of these meds long term on pre-adolescent and adolescent brains? There are no long term studies- this generation is the study. Amazing how much we will defend poor parenting in this country, but don't worry, they make pills for the parents too.

ref

^^^Having raised 3 kids as a single father I must agree!

All three of my kids fit the standard model, and I even admit to trying meds with my son as he was quite difficult to figure out.

But the bottom line is parents expect care givers to "fix" their children magically and without any participation.

One of the principal reasons my wife left pediatrics after 16 years!

Originally Posted By: refaller
Pop article, why? This I can personally testify to. I have had over 30 foster kids come and go from my house. Every one of them were on ADHD meds. All but one were off by the time the left my house. Why? I was mean and forced them to get sleep, eat things with actual nutritional value and we almost never had sugary or caffeinated drinks. We had boundaries and consequences. We also limited the use of TV, video games and computers. However, I still had to fight with the psychologist to get meds decreased and eventually removed. More important, where are the studies on the effects of these meds long term on pre-adolescent and adolescent brains? There are no long term studies- this generation is the study. Amazing how much we will defend poor parenting in this country, but don't worry, they make pills for the parents too.

ref

Well said

The author seems to stereotype all American parents. My wife and I raise our baby girl essentially as the author described the French way. We know many like this but we are also located in the Midwest where setting boundaries and knowing what is best for your kids is more prevalent. You get oustide the midwest and you run into more of the "kids will do whatever they need to do as that is natural and it is our job to just let them do it so they are happy and loving children."

This philosophy is creeping into the midwest too, though. We have some friends that parent like this and they wonder why their kids still can't sleep through the night at age 2-3, sometimes 4 but other people can have their kid sleeping 12 hours straight through the night by the 3 month old mark. They keep thinking they just have bad kids yet they have literally no structure for the kids.

There are substantial dollars to be had in the pharm. industry and it perks to providers. Private healthcare is for profit.

French on the other hand socialize it and it is not pure profit venture.

They also have a wonderful luxury I would love, 35 hour at best work weeks. Also lots of time off to boot. Lastly more time and equalized resource to their children vs the USA.

There is no $ to be made in eating and exercising correctly and learning. Pharmaceuticals are a multi-billion dollar industry and have only become so in the past century... which coincides with the rise of so many conditions and disorders.

If you don't see a motive or a pattern...

We were told to sit down and shut up, and were expected to do just that, with consequences if that instruction was not followed.

The "French" way is common sense, the way things used to be done here.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
It's a pop article without any scientific support written by someone with bias. It's basically an opinion piece.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Absolutely. The fact that someone with a PHD wrote such an unsupported "article" is telling of the PHD's of the world. And physiology is far from a repeatable "science".

My 8 year old son is very high strung and a lot of work, but when he is with just me, he fairly well behaved because I have no tolerance of his attitude. When he is around his mother he turns into a 3 year old terror. Of course, she treats him that way and is one of the reasons we are now divorced. She now wonders why he doesn't behave well around her or with female teachers in school....

I think if more American parents would get their kids away from video games and out of the house doing physical activity, a lot of the supposed ADHD would disappear. I don't have any video games at home but when he plays them at other kids houses, the effects are noticeable. He now goes to those homes a lot less.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
There are substantial dollars to be had in the pharm. industry and it perks to providers. Private healthcare is for profit.

French on the other hand socialize it and it is not pure profit venture.

They also have a wonderful luxury I would love, 35 hour at best work weeks. Also lots of time off to boot. Lastly more time and equalized resource to their children vs the USA.

LOL Do you really think their "socialized" health care spending isn't being conducted for the profit of their politicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back