Free oil from work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not scared to run it..just wanted to feel good about it if i do use it in these cars.

I would like to see an oil analysis of a car running 5w20 then 15w40 back to back to see if the 5w20 hype is worth it.

looks like it might be me to do that test.?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
i am not scared to run it..just wanted to feel good about it if i do use it in these cars.

I would like to see an oil analysis of a car running 5w20 then 15w40 back to back to see if the 5w20 hype is worth it.

looks like it might be me to do that test.?

More than likely (and from my POV) you'll prove that any "hype" is unwarranted in any case.

This is the funny part. No matter where you turn, there are hecklers from the cheap seats. You go light, there are some who insist that it's all for CAFE and that you're shortening engine life. They come in to say, "you'll shoot your eye out, kid" and scream that the floor is collapsing.

Now reverse it, you ALREADY NOT BELIEVING that you're shortening the life of your engine with 5w-20 ..and a like crowd of "you'll shoot your eye out, kid" types come in to scream that the sky is falling.

What does this prove? That there are plenty of people looking out for your best interest ..no matter what interest that may be.
grin2.gif

5W20 to 20W50. Blah blah blah. There must be 50 threads on thin vs thick. WHO CARES!

The bottom line...

IT's FREE OIL!!! How many BITOG'ers freak out for oil rebates and clearance oils? I'm one! IT's FREE OIL!!!!

That's the best deal EVER. USE it with a smile.
happy2.gif

Use it, 40w isn't too heavy for most Honda if you are running it in the summer. If you are worried, try to blend it in with a 5w or 0w oil to lower the visc.

Use it!!
I dont know why some many here are so afraid to use oil a little thicker than factory fill. Especially on a high mileage engine.
If it is warm out you will be fine.
Its not like you want to put gear oil in the engine!

I'd use it during the summer in a beater car, maybe even mix in something a little thinner if I was worried. I wouldn't use it in the winter.

Somewhere in your neighborhood there is a wheezing, oil burning clunker that needs this oil. Sell it to him.

Use the money to buy the correct oil for your Honda!

I would have and do use 15/40 about the best all around oil low on Plastic (VII) and a nice thick oil unless you see real COLD use it.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Its not like you want to put gear oil in the engine!

A 75W-90 gear oil is actually thinner than a 20W-50 engine oil is.

i knew guys in a lumber mill who used 15-40 in there gas engine trucks...i guess it doesnt ------- matter, at least to them

15W-40 is a grade, not a specification. You can get 15W-40 petrol engine oils, diesel engine oils, propane engine oils, and oils that cross over two or more of those specs.

If it meets the relevent Spark Ignition specs, then it's entirely legit to run HDMO in spark engines, and isn't an "experiment"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back