Free oil from work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The V6 Honda might average 23 mpg on 5w30. On 15w40 it'll use about 2% more gas. Over 5000 miles, that's 4.3 gallons. At $1.90 per, the "free" oil will cost a bit over $8, or $2 per quart, which is about the cost of cheap store brand 5w30 that you might otherwise buy.

I dunno, I used Castrol Tection Extra a few times in my 2.3l turbo 9-5. Once in the middle of winter, which, for here, was still morning lows in the mid to upper 20's for quite a while. I never saw any mpg penalty.... Of course, UOA showed the stuff sheared down to a 30 weight in no time anyway...

"A 75W-90 gear oil is actually thinner than a 20W-50 engine oil is."

By that logic is 0w20 thicker than 85w140.
I dont see your logic.
Try pouring 15w40 out of a can and try to pour 75w90, see which bottle pours out first.

Last edited:
No. For instance my Chevy manual with a pushrod 3.5l v6 SPECIFICALLY STATES DO NOT USE ANY OIL OTHER THAN 5W30. It actually says it right in my manual. If you have expensive Japanese type engines, ONLY FEED THEM THE RIGHT OIL!!!
No No No No No No. And did I say No?
Those engines may be old, but right now they are in mint condition. Keep them that way by using the right oil.
If you are still not sure, open your manual up, and see if Toyota and Honda approve of that weight of oil.
After this point, you are on your own. And after this, do not come to me asking me for cash to help you pay for your engine rebuild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk

I dont see your logic.
Try pouring 15w40 out of a can and try to pour 75w90, see which bottle pours out first.

Chevrofreak is right. Gear oil viscosity is not rated the same way as motor oil. Check out the links on the main bitog page for the viscosity chart: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scoobie
No. For instance my Chevy manual with a pushrod 3.5l v6 SPECIFICALLY STATES DO NOT USE ANY OIL OTHER THAN 5W30. It actually says it right in my manual. If you have expensive Japanese type engines, ONLY FEED THEM THE RIGHT OIL!!!
Those engines may be old, but right now they are in mint condition. Keep them that way by using the right oil.
If you are still not sure, open your manual up, and see if Toyota and Honda approve of that weight of oil.
After this point, you are on your own. And after this, do not come to me asking me for cash to help you pay for your engine rebuild.

Too funny....Or was sad the word I was looking for?

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: scoobie

Too funny....Or was sad the word I was looking for?

There's only one word.

FAIL.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
i am not scared to run it..just wanted to feel good about it if i do use it in these cars.

I would like to see an oil analysis of a car running 5w20 then 15w40 back to back to see if the 5w20 hype is worth it.

looks like it might be me to do that test.?

I'd suggest a 5W20 to a 5W40 and compare results.

I dont see your logic.

Compare the viscosity of these two if you don't believe me.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 16.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cst (ASTM D-445) 109.1

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aro.aspx
Amsoil 20W-50 engine oil.
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 18.9
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 123.8

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I dont see your logic.

Compare the viscosity of these two if you don't believe me.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 16.7
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cst (ASTM D-445) 109.1

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aro.aspx
Amsoil 20W-50 engine oil.
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 18.9
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445) 123.8

Ok there is some truth to your point, but you are comparing 20w50 not 15w40 that the poster is asking about.
My point is that many of these engines run a 10w30 their whole lives with no issues. A 15w40 is not that much thicker to cause issues. especially in an older high mileage engine, I'm sure the clearances have opened up some and a little thicker oil film may actually benefit the engine.
If it were a new engine with VVT I would be more nervous to try it, due to the viscosity requirements of the various solenoids another parts related to VVT.
BTW, my grandmother has an 89 Toyota pickup with a 2.4 with 280,000miles. It started consuming and leaking about 2 qts between changes. I started using 15w40 Valvoline in it about 3 years ago, it runs much quieter and smother, and consumes/leaks only about 1 qt between changes now.

Last edited:
When some old guy came in asking for an oil change with Duron 15W40 I laughed to myself. He was driving a 89 hyundai 4 cyl.
I said 10W30 would be better.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
When some old guy came in asking for an oil change with Duron 15W40 I laughed to myself. He was driving a 89 hyundai 4 cyl.
I said 10W30 would be better.

Um, actually those old Hyundais would burn out 10W-30 in a matter of hours. A girlfriend I had owned one of the first model year Scoupes, and I had to put 20W-50 in it...

15W-40 is wayyy too heavy an oil for that vehicle -- engine is going to run like a slug.
LOL.gif

Makes note in BITOG scrapbook: krismoriah72 has 15 gallons of 15W-40 he really doesn't need, and probably won't use. Move krismoriah72 to top of list for next BITOG oil-raid party.

15W-40 will be fine.
55.gif

Might get a little bit lower gas mileage than a 30 wt, but likely hardly noticeable. In many parts of the world in warm climates like Australia, 15W-40 and 20W-50 will be used in that same engine. They don't have the high quality Group II based 5W-30, 10W-30's we have in N.A., so they use thicker Group I based oils.

I was reading an auto forum a while ago, and some farmer made a post about using 15W-40 in every vehicle he has ever owned. He went on to state that engines basically never wear out using 15W-40. He listed 5-6 vehicles that had been run 300 - 500K miles, and the engines on all of these vehicles were still going strong. Modern Group II based 15W-40's provide an exceptional level of protection these days.

Isn't the current generation (SL/SM gasoline rated) of 15W-40 oils borderline Group II+/III anyways?

They have a pour point and indications that their pumpability ratings are on par with most current 10W-30s anyways...

While not ideal, in an older, slightly worn engine, such an oil while work fine...

i never posted the story about buying 10 5qt. jugs of pennzoil platinum 5w20 while on a trip to lexington ky.. i guess it sounds criminal. While shopping the new walmart on winchester drive..i noticed they had the above jugs on clearance for $12 each..I snagged 10 jugs..then stashed them in the shed...thinking i would be set for a few years.. It dawned on me that my walmart was selling them for $23 so I gave it a shot and returned all 10 jugs..netting myself over $100 profit.

So after long thought..I am going to do my next oil change with the 15w40 in my car.. then use the rest to do oil changes in the sunfire, the celica and the v6 honda.. use the $100 i made in profit and buy 5w30 for my car on the next oil change and not look back.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
i never posted the story about buying 10 5qt. jugs of pennzoil platinum 5w20 while on a trip to lexington ky.. i guess it sounds criminal. While shopping the new walmart on winchester drive..i noticed they had the above jugs on clearance for $12 each..I snagged 10 jugs..then stashed them in the shed...thinking i would be set for a few years.. It dawned on me that my walmart was selling them for $23 so I gave it a shot and returned all 10 jugs..netting myself over $100 profit.

So after long thought..I am going to do my next oil change with the 15w40 in my car.. then use the rest to do oil changes in the sunfire, the celica and the v6 honda.. use the $100 i made in profit and buy 5w30 for my car on the next oil change and not look back.

That's just dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back