Trying to find "The One" 15w40 oil to use across my whole fleet (pre-emission diesel and gas engines)

Hey all. Long-time lurker but first-time poster. I apologize if I am beating a dead horse here, but I've been doing a lot of research (and have done virgin oil analyses on most of the major brands of HDEO available in my area), and still cannot come to a good conclusion. I would like to hear some opinions from the forum - maybe you can help me stop overthinking (and hopefully the info from the VOA's will help others here).

To start off, nothing in my fleet is newer than 2000 model year. I tinker with old tractors in my spare time, which have engines ranging from air-cooled Kohler single-cyl and Onan two-cyl gas, Yanmar & Kubota 3-cyl liquid-cooled diesels, two-cylinder gas John Deere's (which originally called for a low-ash SAE30), and some 50-60 HP three-cylinder diesels. Also have plans of collecting more antique tractors (both gas and diesel) in the future, along with old semi trucks (Cat/Cummins/Mack diesel powered). My tow rig is a Ford F-250 with 7.3L Powerstroke (pre-emissions). I've spent way too long buying different kinds of oils for all of my equipment and would like to find "THE ONE" 15w40 oil that I can use across my whole fleet - an oil that would fulfill the "low ash" requirement for my air cooled Kohler engines (splash lubed with no filter), but still provide good lubrication for the Onan air-cooled twins (with an oil pump), the small diesels, all my antique tractors, and my truck. Something I can easily buy in a 55-gallon drum that I won't have to worry about becoming obsolete (like JD Torq-Gard 15w40 or Mobil Delvac MX - both originally rated CI-4+ and getting harder to find here in the US). My machines all get used throughout the year (for work and play), and they all get a decent amount of hours put on them per year, but not enough that I can justify the cost of synthetic oil (or the need to deal with an independent sales rep - especially if I'm in a pinch).

I've had VOA's performed on the following conventional diesel oils which are readily available at most auto parts stores and dealerships around me (plus I work for a Case IH dealer that frequently stocks the Akcela No. 1 and Mobil Delvac 1300 oils). The exception being AMSOIL 15w40 which I used as the control. The results from the lab tests are as follows (and yes, I'm aware they are all decent choices, but if I'm buying a 55-gallon drum I want to make sure all my bases are covered):

1680317830449.png

From the results, it would seem that the Delvac MX, JD Torq-Gard, TSC Traveller, and Case IH/Akcela No. 1 (all highlighted) have the best combination of additives, detergents, and TBN. While my air-cooled Kohler engines typically require a low-ash, non-detergent oil, I don't know that I'll be able to achieve that without sacrificing some of the additives that the bigger engines need. I was leaning toward JD Torq-Gard and Mobil Delvac MX due to their high additive packages, but both of them are practically obsolete (and expensive if you can find them in a 55-gal anywhere). Working for a Case IH dealer I'm also leaning toward the Akcela No.1 since it's readily available, but it doesn't really qualify as a "low ash" oil. I've always used the Motorcraft 15w40 in my 7.3 Powerstroke, as I know Ford's WSS-M2C171-F1 spec is basically in a class of its own.

Am I better off just buying a low-ash SAE30 for my Kohler's and sticking with a 15w40 for everything else? Is there really a good all-around oil that fits all these categories? Am I just overthinking it??

Last edited:
It looks like Mobil Delvac MX and JD Torq-Gard are the same product and have too much P & Zn to pass CK-4.
Chevron & Havoline SAE 30 would be a good low ash option for the Kohlers and both meet API SP.

Last edited:
Good sale on the TSC Traveller 15W-40 at my local store this week. $35 for 2.5 gallon. Granted, not great compared to what we used to get 15W-40 for.

Kohler has been recommending detergent oil for many years. I’ve never used a non-detergent oil in any of my small engines. I’ve used SAE 30 HD in the past however, SAE 30 HD contains detergent.
The Traveller 15W40 will be fine for everything. For that matter, so would Rotella T4.
With the late-model Kohler engines, yes they have called for detergent oil, but they always recommended non-detergent for the older K-series cast iron splash lube engines made 40+ years ago. Non-detergent oil in those engines is a big topic of interest in the garden tractor community.
It looks like Mobil Delvac MX and JD Torq-Gard are the same product and have too much P & Zn to pass CK-4.
Chevron & Havoline SAE 30 would be a good low ash option for the Kohlers and both meet API SP.
Case IH sells an SAE30 "low ash" oil which is basically just rebranded Pennzoil - I would most likely be going that route for SAE30.
Good sale on the TSC Traveller 15W-40 at my local store this week. $35 for 2.5 gallon. Granted, not great compared to what we used to get 15W-40 for.
Doesn't look like they produce it in a 55-gallon drum...looks like I'd be buying several 5-gallon pails. Honestly never thought I'd be giving a TSC oil any consideration, but it's amazing what a simple oil analysis can show.

2.5 gallon jugs are my preference. Way easier to schlep around.

Personally, clean and full are the most important factors for me, and I just buy whatever HDEO is on sale at TS or Coastal Supply if I don't snag it at Walmart first. Travelers, T4, Delo, Mystik, it all works well.

My pick would be whatever is easiest for you to source. Out of that list, my pick would be JD Plus 50 but that is based on the fact that I am about 12 miles from a dealer. Keep in mind that 7.3's have run literally millions of miles on nearly any oil out there. I have owned several between pickups and the Navistar T444E in medium duty trucks and never put a drop of Motorcraft oil in any of them. Usually in those days it was T4 Rotella.

Also, I don't know where you are located but don't rule out farm Co-ops. We have MFA here in Missouri that has a decent 15w40 that will knock everyone else out of the water price wise. I have posted the VOA here before.

With the late-model Kohler engines, yes they have called for detergent oil, but they always recommended non-detergent for the older K-series cast iron splash lube engines made 40+ years ago. Non-detergent oil in those engines is a big topic of interest in the garden tractor community.

Case IH sells an SAE30 "low ash" oil which is basically just rebranded Pennzoil - I would most likely be going that route for SAE30.

Doesn't look like they produce it in a 55-gallon drum...looks like I'd be buying several 5-gallon pails. Honestly never thought I'd be giving a TSC oil any consideration, but it's amazing what a simple oil analysis can show.
I got K series engines here at home and i use detergent oils in them. Non detergent is good for a squeaky hinge or a air compressor and certain hydraulic systems.
You could use 15w40 in everything without issue example rotella t4 .

I got K series engines here at home and i use detergent oils in them. Non detergent is good for a squeaky hinge or a air compressor and certain hydraulic systems.
You could use 15w40 in everything without issue example rotella t4 .
I’m in total agreement with you.

Because of today's Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, there is no longer a need to have oils with high DI content. The tendency to form acids in the oil due to high levels of sulfur in the fuel just isn't there anymore. (Are you running ULSD?) This also leads to not requiring the oil to have high antiwear content because the DI package no longer has to compete with the antiwear package. The lower DI content means that you will not have as much ash to deal with, so the non-detergent oil requirement for some of your engines will have less importance.

To further head off concerns for ash deposits, could you add ash content to your table? I remember that traditionally, oils with high Magnesium form harder ash deposits, so it may be good to minimize Mg. (Although this may have changed in recent years.) Rotella T4 and Motorcraft Super Duty have almost no Mg.

Since all of your engines are old, and have no DPF's to contaminate, don't feel the need to go with lower Phosphorous content.

Another good parameter to add to your table would be KV100. If you want to put 40-weight into some of your old engines that specify 30, it would be good to go for the 40 with the lowest viscosity.

I would go with either Motorcraft Super Duty or Rotella T4, depending on which has the lower viscosity.

I am not sure that using a major name brand oil with the proper ratings will give you much if any difference.

FWIW @TrazTractors you can get Mystik JT8 and Farm & Fleet branded oil in 55 gallon drums if you are close the a F&F. I use the 5w40 F&F in my OPE including a JD LT150 w/ a Kohler with good luck. I will be using Mystik on my next oil change in my Ram.

Just my $0.02

Not sure if this helps you much, but my brother's company truck, a 2010 Chevy 1500, just turned over 335,000 miles using a steady diet of Shell Rotella T4 10W-30. But it's a gas V6. (4.3l) Yes, it burns a quart every 1200 miles or so. Went by the OLM except when it was inconvenient to change, when it was just reset!

The company he works for just went to Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 for all their OTR trucks, mostly Freightliners.

I've got some Kohler manuals dating back to the 1960's for K series engines in John Deere garden tractors that recommend detergent oil.

Back