Does a Turbo diesel engine NEED synthetic oil?

The largest diesel engine manufacturer in the world, Kubota, does not spec synthetic. Not recommending and not requireing are two different things. Good enough?
Do they have group VI base stocks now? Was trying to post a pic of the back of the bottle of kubota motor oil, but the file was too large. That's what kubota uses though, so maybe it is synthetic oil

Last edited:
Do they have group VI base stocks now? Was trying to post a pic of the back of the bottle of kubota motor oil, but the file was too large. That's what kubota uses though, so maybe it is synthetic oil
I think the definition of ''synthetic'' has changed over the years......GOD bless American law.

The secrete is.. letting the turbo cool by idling a while. Around town... not so much. Coming off the road is time to let it spend a few min's letting it cool off. I'd do paperwork. pc

The largest diesel engine manufacturer in the world, Kubota, does not spec synthetic. Not recommending and not requireing are two different things. Good enough?

Does Kubota make engines with 1,200 lb/ft that push trucks down the road at 70 MPH with 30,000 lbs. in tow?

What oil did turbo diesels use before synthetics were widely available?

Back when there was no EGR, DPF, DEF, etc? And power levels were WAY lower?

FYI, WalMart SuperTech has a full synthetic 15W/40 oil at $16.00/gallon, made by WarrenOil; well known for quality.

Do newer turbocharged farm equipment have emissions equipment such as the DPF and DEF and the whole regeneration cycle that makes the world a better place?

Do newer turbocharged farm equipment have emissions equipment such as the DPF and DEF and the whole regeneration cycle that makes the world a better place?
Yes. Anything over 25hp has a dpf and anything over 75hp has Def and a dpf

Turbodiesels in general do not require synthetic oils because diesel exhaust is hundreds of degrees cooler than gasoline engine exhaust. Diesels run with a lot of excess air, with air-fuel ratios ranging from 70:1 at idle to 23:1 at full power. Consequently, hot shutdown heat soak is very much less of a concern in a diesel, where the EGT rarely exceeds 1250F. Gasoline engine exhaust ranges over 1650F, and modern stoichiometric engines are over 1800F.
this is not true. diesels run way hotter exhaust temps now. also, they do need to be idled down. matter of fact in the ford technician workshop manual, a 6.7 powerstroke oil temp of 194 degrees farenheight is the safe shutdown temp for turbo and engine. also 5w40 full synthetic is the recommended oil for extreme use. 10w30 for normal use.

this is not true. diesels run way hotter exhaust temps now. also, they do need to be idled down. matter of fact in the ford technician workshop manual, a 6.7 powerstroke oil temp of 194 degrees farenheight is the safe shutdown temp for turbo and engine. also 5w40 full synthetic is the recommended oil for extreme use. 10w30 for normal use.
Always wondered about this. The new diesels can run 1000 degree egts while in regen at a stop light. Turbo seals definitely take a beating on these newer trucks. I don't know many people who idle before shutdown. The larger semi trucks have a better design than the smaller consumer pickups which inject extra fuel on the exhaust stroke to make more heat for the aftertreatment system. The semis have an injector in the exhaust so the engine isn't subjected to all that extra heat.

Yes. Anything over 25hp has a dpf and anything over 75hp has Def and a dpf

It is crazy now. We rent heavy equipment at times at work. Some stationary, some not so stationary. It's odd to see the massive catalytic converters and emissions equipment on the bigger diesels. It does make them quiet and basically diesel smell free, but I couldn't imagine the costs.

It is crazy now. We rent heavy equipment at times at work. Some stationary, some not so stationary. It's odd to see the massive catalytic converters and emissions equipment on the bigger diesels. It does make them quiet and basically diesel smell free, but I couldn't imagine the costs.
They have a different smell now that I doubt is good for you either. I also happen to like the smell. 😂

Back