What about using one HDEO for my whole fleet?

I was at a farm supplies store to buy fences and as a true bitoger, oil popped inside my head and i decided to take a look at the tractor section and sure enough, there was lots and lots of HDEO drums from 25L to 220L in 10W30, 10W40 and 15W40. The cheapest is a 15W40 at around 3€/L, as cheap as getting the best deals for PCMO. From what i gather it is made by Total.

Here are the specs and approvals : NORMES ET SPECIFICATIONS : ACEA E7-12 ; API CI-4 ; MB 228.3 ; RENAULT RLD-2 ; VOLVO VDS-3. NIVEAUX DE PERFORMANCE : ACEA E7-12 ; ACEA A3/B3-12 ; API CI-4 / SL ; MAN M3275 ; MB 228.3 ; RENAULT RLD-2 ; VOLVO VDS-3.

Would you trust such an oil to replace a 10W40 or 5W40 PCMO at the usual OCIs ? Weather is very mild and it almost never goes below freezing.

Here's a list of the cars i service :

- 98 Mercedes C180, mostly long trips, running E85 (mine)
- 95 Mercedes E250 Diesel, not driving it much anymore (mine)
- 08 Dacia Logan 1.5 DCi, short trips (mom's)
- 06 Citroën C2 1.1, short trips (GF's)
- 03 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3, long trips (friend's)

Because of this: ACEA A3/B3-12

While -12 is not the most current ACEA spec, it is still VERY robust and what I use as a benchmark.

I would trust it for all those applications. I would use the 10w-30 application as it most suits your climate. From what I know of it, it is very similar to ours but a little warmer in summer. If you did go to 40 weight, I would go w/15w-40 as it's more robust than 10w and you don't need even 10w for your winter climate (nor do I).

I would also trust Total and I use their fluids when I find a good deal on them. It is less common here than in France of course, but I did just stock up on a bunch of Total ATF at a very good price.

You can run 15w40 all the way down to freezing and you'll barely notice the difference in how the car cranks over cold as long as your battery is in decent shape.

If the 10w-40 isn't much more I'd probably go for that just in case you travel somewhere significantly colder during the winter, like a trip to Switzerland or something.

15W-40 will work well in both your Mercedes-Benz and Renault applications, as well as the old reliable Vortec 4.3. A 10,000 km drain would work well for severe service (short tripping), although I reckon you should be able to run 15,000 km on the long trip applications if you needed to with no problems.

I wouldn't put it in the Logan due to the DPF. I'd look for something carrying ACEA E9 so at least it's less than 1% SAPS.
Does an 08 have a DPF? I believe that was Euro4 standards, so the OP may or may not have a DPF.

But with that said, given the 08 Logan is the newest vehicle, the general advice is get something that meets the standards for that vehicle and you can "probably" (still check) use that oil in all the applications.

Do all of your listed cars require 40 weight oil? If so i would stick to 10W-40 HDEO oil. 15W-40 oils in Europe tend to be mineral and we all know that they suck compared to full synth.

Do all of your listed cars require 40 weight oil? If so i would stick to 10W-40 HDEO oil. 15W-40 oils in Europe tend to be mineral and we all know that they suck compared to full synth.
None really requires 40 weight oil however most of them ask for a 3.5+ HTHS oil.

As long as none of them are burning too much oil, I'd use a 10W40 (none seem to have direct injection).

However it must be very high SAPS no? Like 1,7/1,9 maybe?
Not sure that's really of importance, but maybe there's an option with lower SAPS, like said earlier, ACEA E9 / MB 228.31/51.
Total Rubia Tir 9900FE 5W30 had the advantage of not "scaring" friends not versed in motor oils, but I don't think it fits with what you're looking for.

As long as none of them are burning too much oil, I'd use a 10W40 (none seem to have direct injection).

However it must be very high SAPS no? Like 1,7/1,9 maybe?
Not sure that's really of importance, but maybe there's an option with lower SAPS, like said earlier, ACEA E9 / MB 228.31/51.
Total Rubia Tir 9900FE 5W30 had the advantage of not "scaring" friends not versed in motor oils, but I don't think it fits with what you're looking for.
They sell two 10W40 versions, an E7 and a E9. the E9 is a bit more expensive. What i'm looking for is an robust HDEO to use in everything (including a Ford tractor, forgot to mention) available at a competitive price. Unfortunately i don't really know what type of store has that and what are the prices. Maybe a truck part store?

Last edited:
Truck part stores. Look for Pilayrou, if they are in your neighborhood. They sell all kind of Shell Rimula, sometimes even in bulk (cheaper). Bring your own jugs!

Pilayrou is too far away from me but maybe any Groupauto truck store? What prices can i expect?

It was a long time ago but I used to buy some Shell Rimula R6M for a bit above 25€ /5L in bulk, a bit more in Shell jugs by pack of 3 (closer to 30).
Total Rubia TIR 9900FE 5W30 was 27/28€ per jug I think?

I'm sure you can get some semi-synth hdeo for cheaper than that, but you might want to call them before for availability and prices, I was looking for these two oils specifically and they are not the cheapest hdeo out there.

I know their competitor AD also has "truck" shops selling hdeo oil, but I always got better deals with Groupauto, for some reason (maybe the guys there likes me more haha). I suggest you skip the "auto" counter and go directly to the truck section if you go in person, better service and prices if they assume you are a trucker.

Unrelated but I also used to buy some Facom tools there, they were giving me a 20% discount over MSRP or at least equaling online prices. But that was now more than 5 years ago so YMMV.

Thanks! Now that i think about it, maybe my usual auto part stores (CAPR/Odis 35) sell truck supplies too. I'm specifically looking for 20/25L jugs since i am tired of having a pile of jugs laying around and having to go to the dump so often. One big jug + one for used oil would be way less of a mess!

Thanks! Now that i think about it, maybe my usual auto part stores (CAPR/Odis 35) sell truck supplies too. I'm specifically looking for 20/25L jugs since i am tired of having a pile of jugs laying around and having to go to the dump so often. One big jug + one for used oil would be way less of a mess!

I also try to do the same. I tend to ignore viscosity and buy ACEA C3 oils and just use them in everything.

since few people here saved old cars with hdeo, i have question why not to put it into younger cars?
(how about wet timing belts?)
people use mostly lowsaps in latest cars, with quite long intervals. (what manufacturer recommends)
after few years, car may start burn oil...
so i think, why not go from beginning with more durable oils ?
i have in manual 5w40 a3/b4 or c2 0w30...like you citroen specific.
(i used 0w30 for 2 months, but motor gives slight noise, not happy about it) i use now advanced 5w40 a3b4, feels better already

it seems e4,6 has most cleaning power. while e6 being dpf+euro6+adblue safe.
ZTYyOTIxOTAtYWE3MS00MTZjLTljMmEtNmYwYjMxNDMyNzk2_acea-transport.png

Back