Fram Ultra Oil Filter Failure Before 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worried if you handed them a big bargaining chip.

I am worried if you should have sold them the filter instead of just handing it over. It is worth thousands in R&D to them, as it is a real-world road failure.

If they refused, probably wouldn't have been expensive to have an engineering firm dissect it and submit the results.

Any damage would have been a testimonial from a 3rd party with no conflict of interest.

Now we can't count on any honesty at all. Had you threatened to videotape the dissection at the same time and posted the result here, that could have been a PR disaster for FRAM.

No wonder they were so hot for you to send it in, and now that they have it, silence.

FRAM won't be ever getting my money unless they post a plausible failure result.

I don't think i could have "sold" them the filter. Many people on here seem to send there's in so I don't think they need to pay for them. Although I do agree that it could have been bad publicity for them . Maybe not a disaster but bad none the less. I will admit I overreacted at first. In all actuality I'm glad I sent it in. Hopefully it leads to something if there were multiple cases reported. I really like the design of the ultra and if it was the leaf spring that failed I would happily use them in my Malibu since it is a much smaller filter. I'm thinking the weight of that big of a filter with that much media and metal was just too much for it. I am running another ultra on the ford now and if all goes good I may go another. This all depends on if Fram gets back to me and does more than just send me another filter and give no explanation like I have seen other company's do. From what I have seen so far I have no worries.

I am going to be nice and not litter this thread with bad Fram posts but I will be starting another thread soon about a incident I witnessed yesterday involving a OCOD. I'm gonna get pics first before they send it in.

Originally Posted By: Falken

I am worried if you should have sold them the filter instead of just handing it over. It is worth thousands in R&D to them, as it is a real-world road failure.

If they refused, probably wouldn't have been expensive to have an engineering firm dissect it and submit the results.

Any damage would have been a testimonial from a 3rd party with no conflict of interest.

Now we can't count on any honesty at all. Had you threatened to videotape the dissection at the same time and posted the result here, that could have been a PR disaster for FRAM.

No wonder they were so hot for you to send it in, and now that they have it, silence.

FRAM won't be ever getting my money unless they post a plausible failure result.

There are medications that can help you through this, you know?

I'm joking when I say that but come ON? This isn't the Jodi Arias trial, for Pete's sake, nor Watergate. "PR Disaster?" Talk about blowing this out of proportion, especially considering we know absolutely zip so far? It's a bad filter. It happens to all of them. In order to make any kind of "case" you'd have to demonstrate harm. To do that, you'd have to tear the OP's engine down and prove that whatever wear was found was due to the failure of the filter... if there was even enough wear to even demonstrate anything, let along prove it was a short period without 100 percent filtration that caused it. To send a filter off to an engineering firm for analysis and a certified opinion would cost THOUSANDS of dollars, I assure you. I didn't see you posting on the torn Purolator media thread threatening to withhold your custom. Why this thread?

I sincerely hope that if some of you that have posted on this thread ever get on a jury that you will think a little more clearly about putting bias and opinion before fact.

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
From what I have seen so far I have no worries.

I think you did the right thing. If it happens to be an engineering issue, you'll be helping address a problem. If it's the more likely simple manufacturing defect, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I give Fram a lot of grief, but they didn't get to the market share they have by simply riding laurels of the past, using saturation marketing, and selling entry level filters at premium prices. I do have to accept the fact that they know an awful lot about building oil filters, and the Ultra is evidence they do know how to build a darn fine one, too.

And, as was pointed out, I can think of no filter out there that has 100% perfection on the assembly line, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay for such a product, either.

"I sincerely hope that if some of you that have posted on this thread ever get on a jury that you will think a little more clearly about putting bias and opinion before fact."

+ + + !!!

Last edited:

Wow. Why send it in at all. You've just made the determination that it was a "real-world road failure".

Quote:

Now we can't count on any honesty at all.

Is this serious? Fram is in business to deceive people? They've become the biggest and best by being dishonest?

Quote:

Curious as to what is "plausible" in your mind, since it's already made up.

I haven't seen anything here in procedure that is out of the ordinary at all. Champ Labs did the same protocol with my buddy and their were no issues at all.

I have never seen anything to indicate any need to worry about deception or slight of hand, and they have a rep who checks in here from time to time so they are well aware of this thread.

I want to see the results too but we just need to relax and be patient. With all the filters they make I'm sure this is not the only filter their working on at the moment, and I'd expect the same to be true for any other major filter manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Falken, do you happen to also think that oil companies keep the gas and oil prices high on purpose?

No but world wide demand, speculation on demand and U.S. taxpayer subsidies all influence the price you pay at the pump.

If they intentionally kept the prices high that would be price fixing and collusion ala ADM, both are illegal.

Oil/gas is like the medical profession. They got you where they want you,know you can't go anywhere else,so they can charge what they want.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Oil/gas is like the medical profession. They got you where they want you,know you can't go anywhere else,so they can charge what they want.

They charge whatever they want to b/c nobody knows what they charge. Someone else is paying the bill, whether it's employee based third party insurance or a government program.

Whens the last time you priced a school physical? You think it's bad now, wait until Obamacare really kicks in.

Whooo, wayyyy off topic, sorry...................

I agree with you guys I have always believed a good conspiracy theory, but I would be very surprised if we see results from FRAM posted.

If there are any meds that I can try that I am not currently on, Jim, PM me
smile.gif

I am just getting anxious to see a result at this point and it is making me jump to conclusions, it's the kid in me.

Post the results FRAM!!!

I'm betting Jay gets back with us and gives us the reason why the guts where rattling inside. Don't think there will be photos, etc ... just a short explanation.

Well,
One thing i can say is that you guys are certainly passionate about the subject of filters.
Let me start with the "coil vs Leaf " spring debate. As I stated in a previous post, there are advantages and disadvantages to both designs according to our engineers. We use coils in our HD filters for example. Mann is currently running advertising touting the benefits of leafs, saying they help to position the cartridge in the can, they use both.
they both work.
Now, on to the problem filter. After close inspection, the leaf spring was fatigued and was the cause of the rattling. That said, we found a dent on the bottom of the filter indicating it had been dropped at some point in time. It may have happened at the store or who knows where. Difficult to see as it is under the sure grip. The cartridge in the Ultra is heavy and dropping it could cause the spring fatigue.
Mullick-
I would like to send you a case of Ultra filters in whatever part number you want for you trouble and help in getting this resolved. Just email me at [email protected] and I will ship them asap.
Sorry for the trouble.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Well,
One thing i can say is that you guys are certainly passionate about the subject of filters.
Let me start with the "coil vs Leaf " spring debate. As I stated in a previous post, there are advantages and disadvantages to both designs according to our engineers. We use coils in our HD filters for example. Mann is currently running advertising touting the benefits of leafs, saying they help to position the cartridge in the can, they use both.
they both work.
Now, on to the problem filter. After close inspection, the leaf spring was fatigued and was the cause of the rattling. That said, we found a dent on the bottom of the filter indicating it had been dropped at some point in time. It may have happened at the store or who knows where. Difficult to see as it is under the sure grip. The cartridge in the Ultra is heavy and dropping it could cause the spring fatigue.
Mullick-
I would like to send you a case of Ultra filters in whatever part number you want for you trouble and help in getting this resolved. Just email me at [email protected] and I will ship them asap.
Sorry for the trouble.

Jay, very well done.
thumbsup2.gif

This is why I always take the filter from the box and inspect it. But, being FU's are sealed you won't know if it is damaged until after purchasing it. If a consumer finds a damaged FU filter after opening it what are they to do?

Thanks Jay!

It worth repeating what Blue said above: Inspect the filter before installation! The first Ultra I bought had a dent in the can. I exchanged it posthaste for one I checked before I walked up to the counter. Not so oddly, a few days later, I found that dented filter back on the shelf at WM! CHECK ANY FILTERS RIGHT AWAY IF POSSIBLE BUT ABSOLUTELY BEFORE YOU INSTALL THEM.

I agree with you guys I have always believed a good conspiracy theory, but I would be very surprised if we see results from FRAM posted.

If there are any meds that I can try that I am not currently on, Jim, PM me
smile.gif

I am just getting anxious to see a result at this point and it is making me jump to conclusions, it's the kid in me.

Post the results FRAM!!!

Glad you have a sense of humor, Falken! My post came across a little more harsh than I intended, sorry, though I essentially meant what I said. You won the "class act" points on this one, even if your post was dead wrong. ( : < )

PS- The only BITOG Meds I know of are to get rid of the computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back