Fram Ultra Oil Filter Failure Before 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
What set you off to go on a crusade like this?

It's not a crusade, it's just a correction. Like I said I knew I had three different filters in my stash that were made with coil-springs so I was pretty sure that what Motorking/Jay said was incorrect. I didn't want people thinking that since 'only two' companies make filters with coil-springs that there must be something wrong with them.

If you had posted this paragraph ^^^ in a single post, I would call that a correction. Multiple posts of pictures over several pages is a bit different.

I think that I took his comment similarly to the others in that Fram and many other companies choose to use leaf springs and some others used coil springs. With the number of filters being put out under different labels by the same factories, I don't put much weight on the distribution side. I merely took it as a design choice. Neither would be in use if it wasn't reliable and profitable to execute and sell.

When it comes to filter failures, I would be surprised if any given filter line on the market didn't have failures. It is only a matter of time before something breaks unexpectedly.

I think that I took his comment similarly to the others in that Fram and many other companies choose to use leaf springs and some others used coil springs.

Do you see what you did there? Is this on purpose?

Very subtle and less specific. Very clever.

Martin - you seem to be missing that little part of the brain that tells you when you have made your point, and that it is time to move on with life. You've done this in multiple threads.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Martin - you seem to be missing that little part of the brain that tells you when you have made your point, and that it is time to move on with life. You've done this in multiple threads.

I can say I am guilty of this also. But, I was so focused on getting my point across that I didn't realize I was practically being a PITA.
Some get it, some don't. I sure learned from it.
smile.gif

Say what you will, but I'm not the one making quality judgements based on information I don't have.

Say what you will, but I'm not the one making quality judgements based on information I don't have.

Who's making quality judgements? I haven't seen any in this thread.

Re-read the thread cause I'm sure it's there (towards the beginning) that leaf-springs were not reliable. This is when Motorking/Jay assured us that only two companies are using coil-springs and then, later on, that of the 30 BRANDS of filters he disassembled only two had coils. There's a difference between a brand and a company/mfg.

I should also add that I'm not the one spreading or promoting misinformation.

Last edited:
I have noticed some of the oil filter boxes at Walmart are pretty banged up. No doubt some of the filters get dropped along the way. I'm currently running Ultras on both cars in my sig. Have been for the past year with no issues. The current filter on the Camry just went over 14k in a re-use. Will be off for an autopsy somewhere around 15k. What exactly should I take pictures of related to this topic?

I also have noticed a few banged up boxes at Walmart. Thankfully they are stocked pretty well and I always dig for the perfect unopened box. I am very particular about my oil. I once bought a 5Qt. jug of Mobil 1. I got home and realized the jug had been opened and the silver seal was partially split. I drove about 20 minutes back and fourth to Walmart just to exchange it.

The filter should arrive at Fram today

On another note my girlfriend did mention the fact that her car is starting a lot quieter now. I told her it's just because it's 50° outside. My kit from Polaris labs is on its way. I am also doing a blackstone report on my malibu as well. It has been running Amsoil SS and a Mobil 1 EP filter. I could post pics of a Fram ultra XG3387A filter than ran for 5,800 miles if anyone is interested. But it seems there are guite a few of the ultras already.

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
I could post pics of a Fram ultra XG3387A filter than ran for 5,800 miles if anyone is interested. But it seems there are guite a few of the ultras already.

OMG! Don't tease us, POST IT, POST IT!
20.gif

Re-read the thread cause I'm sure it's there (towards the beginning) that leaf-springs were not reliable. This is when Motorking/Jay assured us that only two companies are using coil-springs and then, later on, that of the 30 BRANDS of filters he disassembled only two had coils. There's a difference between a brand and a company/mfg.

I should also add that I'm not the one spreading or promoting misinformation.

I just re-read the thread. Falken only put forward a hypothesis that fit the symptoms listed. I inferred from his phrasing that his mention of people not liking leaf springs was from what he has seen on BITOG. If you would point out to me the posts, I'd appreciate it. Most were of the sort "Stay calm, don't overreact" or "The sky is falling, I don't know what to think right now".

Given how cavalier people are with their diction, I tend to give people leeway with one off, guick replies that are tempting to be made off the top of one's head. BITOG is full of posts like that. I wrote my interpretation of Jay's comment(s) earlier.

Who is spreading the the misinformation? I missed the continual spewing of misinformation. It definitely would not be me, as I have only a general familiarity with filters from the consumer side. I read these threads, evaluate the posts and decide whether the information merits being added to my worldview. Most of the posters on the thread were thoughtful and pretty neutral from my standpoint.

It definitely would not be me, as I have only a general familiarity with filters from the consumer side.

So then you weren't aware of your subtle twist and it was not deliberate.

My only issue was that there are more than two companies making filters with coil-springs. I thought that was obvious. I'm wondering if you follow this and believe it one way or the other.

Last edited:
For now on in addition to looking for the clean box I'm going to be giving the filters a shake prior to purchase. Never thought of doing that before this thread.

Ok here is the XG3387A. I don't feel it warrants a new thread because unfortunately the leaf spring and ADBV must have been tossed out in my girlfriends spring cleaning rampage.

DSC03365.jpg
DSC03367.jpg

DSC03368.jpg
DSC03369.jpg

DSC03370.jpg

The filter held up very well. Even though I can't find them I promise the leaf spring and adbv were in perfect condition. I like you BlueOvalFitter don't like the idea of multiple oil changes on 1 filter. But this filter had so much life left I wouldn't see any problems coming from it. It didn't come out well in the picture but the media on the inside of the actual filter is very clean only slightly darker than when it was new. I believe this filter would have handled 10,000 very well. This filter was also used this entire winter. It saw the same temperatures as the XG2 but my car is parked outside every night. I actually might go back to this filter as my new Mobil 1 is more expensive. I will post a cut away of that but i believe i have another 6,000 of my 10,000 left on the Amsoil SS.

Last edited:
It definitely would not be me, as I have only a general familiarity with filters from the consumer side.

So then you weren't aware of your subtle twist and it was not deliberate.

My only issue was that there are more than two companies making filters with coil-springs. I thought that was obvious. I'm wondering if you follow this and believe it one way or the other.

I think that I took his comment similarly to the others in that Fram and many other companies choose to use leaf springs and some others used coil springs.

Do you see what you did there? Is this on purpose?

Very subtle and less specific. Very clever.

It was a twist and it was quite deliberate because it was how I read the meaning behind his original statement. I made no attempt to hide it, either. The part that I added the emphasis on in the above quote is a way for someone to be clear that they are stating their interpretation of what someone else said.

I don't see any of that as spreading of misinformation in any way.

It was a twist and it was quite deliberate because it was how I read the meaning behind his original statement.

Oh I see. You were just reiterating what Motorking/Jay said. This is not your opinion. Got it, thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
For now on in addition to looking for the clean box I'm going to be giving the filters a shake prior to purchase. Never thought of doing that before this thread.

Yep! Something to add to the brain trust alright. That's how I found the broken coil spring in the Napa/Wix 1775some years back... though it was a purely accidental discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back