Fram Ultra Oil Filter Failure Before 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will shake the filter and examine the oil outlet hole with a flashlight better before installing any filters in the future as well.

I'll check that there are no cracks on the mounting gasket and see if I can spot any cracks on the ADBV.

Takes a minute to do, will ad this to my routine going forward...

I mean I would never admit that I would hold the dome end of the can firmly against my ear and tap the can with a knuckle and listen for the "twang" of coil spring tension.... *cough*

I thought shaking the oil filter box was the same as shaking the Xmas presents - a firm requirement!

Martin, I take all posts with a grain of salt (especially my own). Everyone can make inadvertent mistakes or state things in a way that is easy to misinterpret. If I really want to rely on something, I verify it myself.

We have many good posters that have a high beta rating. I believe one's education should be garnered from a wide variety of sources to allow crosschecking and confidence in the data.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I thought shaking the oil filter box was the same as shaking the Xmas presents - a firm requirement!

Martin, I take all posts with a grain of salt (especially my own). Everyone can make inadvertent mistakes or state things in a way that is easy to misinterpret. If I really want to rely on something, I verify it myself.

We have many good posters that have a high beta rating. I believe one's education should be garnered from a wide variety of sources to allow crosschecking and confidence in the data.

And Coprolite has learned something from me as well; "One filter, One OCI!"
27.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: martinq
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
It was a twist and it was quite deliberate because it was how I read the meaning behind his original statement.

Oh I see. You were just reiterating what Motorking/Jay said. This is not your opinion. Got it, thanks.

I usually don't form opinions on minor things that should be transparent to me. I interpret and file away for a time that it might matter.

Originally Posted By: Falken
^+100 One Filter, One OCI.

This should be like a BITOG motto or something.

Fine, then I make the one OCI 10k.

Hi Mullick2001,

Just saw this thread. I work in St. Paul.

Thank you for all of the follow-up on this and we're all waiting for their feedback. I hope they send a detailed explanation and better yet, a picture of the failure, but that'll probably be only on demand.

Curious if this was formed & die-cut or Laser cut & formed. Possible something got in the way at that Mfg. process step and it got sent out in high speed thru-put. We'll see.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
Hoping for an update monday they received the filter on thursday.

Yep, I'm really looking forward to your information I'd really like to know what is wrong with this Ultra.

Alright tough choice. I have to go on a trip from Monday too Tuesday. It is between the two vehicles in my signature for a 800-1200 mile adventure in 2 days. Both have "issues". First the vehicle in this thread has another Fram ultra installed bought from the same store within a very short time. Meaning it is likely manufactureded at the same time as my last failure. I would hate to have the filter fail on that long of a trip. Also I lost the power steering cap due to not tightening it enough and have had to tape it while i wait for the new cap. The other vehicle the Malibu, has a bad front right strut. The roads im taking in Iowa are state highways in great condition but of coarse my family all live off dirt roads so it will be a brutal 30 minute drive on dirt roads to get to my relatives. Malibu gets 30-35Mpg road trips and the Ford about 22-24Mpg. Both have recent oil changes. What would you do?

Alright tough choice. I have to go on a trip from Monday too Tuesday. It is between the two vehicles in my signature for a 800-1200 mile adventure in 2 days. Both have "issues". First the vehicle in this thread has another Fram ultra installed bought from the same store within a very short time. Meaning it is likely manufactureded at the same time as my last failure. I would hate to have the filter fail on that long of a trip. Also I lost the power steering cap due to not tightening it enough and have had to tape it while i wait for the new cap. The other vehicle the Malibu, has a bad front right strut. The roads im taking in Iowa are state highways in great condition but of coarse my family all live off dirt roads so it will be a brutal 30 minute drive on dirt roads to get to my relatives. Malibu gets 30-35Mpg road trips and the Ford about 22-24Mpg. Both have recent oil changes. What would you do?

Take the Freestyle and tell your relatives to pave the darn road to their house.
grin.gif

Malibu.

Ya this is middle of nowhere Iowa we are talking about here. In the winter people complain if they take too much snow off the roads. Im taking the Malibu anyways to save the gas money the strut is a little wobbly on bad roads but potholes sound like my engine is going to fall out. Iowa keeps there highways in great shape so I should be fine.

Ya this is middle of nowhere Iowa we are talking about here. In the winter people complain if they take too much snow off the roads. Im taking the Malibu anyways to save the gas money the strut is a little wobbly on bad roads but potholes sound like my engine is going to fall out. Iowa keeps there highways in great shape so I should be fine.

Then, why did you ask?
lol.gif

I was back and fourth last night then I did the math and will save 25-30% on gas. I even more confirmed this because it will be raining the majority of the time and I would hate to get moisture in t he power steering system. I was just looking for another opinion last night

I was back and fourth last night then I did the math and will save 25-30% on gas. I even more confirmed this because it will be raining the majority of the time and I would hate to get moisture in t he power steering system. I was just looking for another opinion last night

Don't worry about it. I was just ribbin' ya.
My son just did the same thing recently, with his oil fill cap. Luckily, AAP had one in stock (Toyota).
Did you try an auto parts store for the cap?
21.gif

Ya I checked all of the local stores. Just about everyone has the oil fill cap, coolant cap, and gas cap but no one except www.fordparts.com/ has just the cap. Unless I want to buy a whole new reservoir. I might not be able to update or see fram's response until Thursday since I am leaving in about 12 hours.

The cap was on securely and I bumped it while changing the plugs. The stupid cap only has to be turned about a quarter turn before it comes off. It dropped down onto the belt and then I poked it and it fell a little more. I never found it after that. Im guessing it fell out when my girlfriend went to work the next day but I looked for that bugger for over a hour. Just to make sure it wasnt going to melt on the cat or get caught in the belt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back