Fram Ultra Oil Filter Failure Before 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ ...
crackmeup2.gif

Believe that CD is from the Fram Challenge program of a year or more ago-the one that got you a free long sleeve black Carhartt FRAM work shirt, which I still wear all the time!

Much as I don't often use FRAM I will admit I wish I could get my hands on a buncha decals like that.

Just kinda nice to have to slap on toolboxes and stuff.

After reading this thread, the Jeep Forum one linked here, and if I remember correct, Jim Allen's "factory tour", a lot of positive exposure has been the result for Fram.

It really seems that they are making an effort to quell the "Orange can of death" reputation that has been growing for years.

It "almost" seems that these OP's have sold themselves out to Fram based on the pictures, endorsement, etc.. BUT I THOROUGHLY BELIEVE THEY HAVE NOT! It's just an effective effort by Fram to stand up for their product.

It's such simple marketing technique that it is appalling that other mfg. don't get it. I've been visiting/participating in some Jeep forums lately, and there is a Jeep representative (JeepCares) participating there! How wonderful!

Kudos to Fram. And to the OP and Jim Allen, my deepest respect and please believe my bold type!

I'm glad to see that Fram is at least making the customer whole on this one.

Now back to the core issue. LOL

We all want to know what Fram has found after they analyse the filter.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

FRAM concluded that someone snuck a P1 element into the FU canister.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
Received my care package today. I must say it was a nice package with some things I will definitely be using ( have the perfect spot for most of the stickers). I had requested the Fram xg3387a filters that fit my Mailbu. I do not know how long we will have the ford but I know I will run the wheels off the Malibu. Fram definitely came through on this one. Thanks jay for the quick response and sticking behind your product. I am going to use all these filters in my chase of 250,000+ on the Malibu

If anyone would like I could create an image of the disk and post it here so everyone can enjoy.

DSC03379.jpg
DSC03380.jpg
DSC03381.jpg
DSC03382.jpg
DSC03383.jpg
DSC03384.jpg
DSC03385.jpg
DSC03386.jpg

awesome!

+rep for Fram

That was already posted here. In a nutshell they found a dent indicating the filter had been dropped, the leaf spring was overstressed as a result and failed.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

That was already posted here. In a nutshell they found a dent indicating the filter had been dropped, the leaf spring was overstressed as a result and failed.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. I am not a Metallurgist but I have worked with metals (carbon steel, stainless steel, cast iron, copper, etc.) for over 35 years. I just don't see how a dent in a metal casing/canister can overstress a thin gauge (I'm guessing 20 gauge) piece of steel and cause failure. When they say "overstressed" are they saying it broke? I think they need to explain this a bit more in detail. Honestly, I am not buying it. I don't care how many of you jump on me, that's just how I feel. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
I wish there were pictures of the filter cut open unless I missed that somewhere.

I agree with you. But no pics were posted. That sure would answer a lot of Q?'s.

I'm with BOF on this one. I don't think the leaf spring failed from a slight dent in the dome end - seem to unlikely. I think the leaf spring was probably missing or put in upside down.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think the leaf spring was probably missing or put in upside down.

That seems more logical. That would explain why the filter cartridge moved up and down when he shook it and he was able to spin the cartridge inside of the filter canister.
FRAM, you did good by the OP (consumer) now you need to step up and tell the truth. I don't buy your "overstressed" [censored] story. Sorry, I might act silly on here sometimes but in this case I am very serious!

This analogy is from the insomniac brain(works best if you have kids or youtube videos of kids):

My interpretation of the explanation was that the dent put the spring into a prestressed state and the stress of normal operations finally broke it. Imagine you are playing with your kid. Normally, them running up and jumping on you when you are on the couch is manageable. After all it is
Metallurgists are pretty darn good at finding failure mechanisms. I don't see why Fram would provide us with this explanation when "the spring was upside down" would suffice just as well.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
This analogy is from the insomniac brain(works best if you have kids or youtube videos of kids):

My interpretation of the explanation was that the dent put the spring into a prestressed state and the stress of normal operations finally broke it. Imagine you are playing with your kid. Normally, them running up and jumping on you when you are on the couch is manageable. After all it is
Metallurgists are pretty darn good at finding failure mechanisms. I don't see why Fram would provide us with this explanation when "the spring was upside down" would suffice just as well.

Sorry Coprolite, I don't buy your analogy. And FRAM's either.

Oh, and I raised a son by myself.
smile.gif

It's like a leaf spring that has been over stressed, it fatigues and relaxes. Take a car leaf spring and leave it completely reverse-arched for a year or so. When you finally release it, the car is likely to have lost an inch or two of ride height, if not more. The scenario presented is possible and plausible. Is it true? I guess we can't know that for sure but I am taking them at their word until I have reason not to. Everything adds up to me

If you guys think Fram has lied about this, just say so, but you have next to nothing to base an opinion like that on except bias.

I bet it was just bad luck-winter starts with thick oil causes the leaf spring to flex a little before the bypass opens, and there was probably a hairline crack that spread & caused the spring to break in two. Could happen to anybody, and if the filter was damaged in shipping it would've made it worse.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I bet it was just bad luck-winter starts with thick oil causes the leaf spring to flex a little before the bypass opens, and there was probably a hairline crack that spread & caused the spring to break in two. Could happen to anybody, and if the filter was damaged in shipping it would've made it worse.

Now this, I think is possible. But pics would make this story so much easier to swallow.
Maybe FRAM can learn from this and install another leaf spring to make an "X" of the leaf springs. That, or make the current leaf spring stronger.
21.gif

No one ever said the leaf spring broke into two. I would be very surprised if it physically broke. It is much more likely that it relaxed too much.

FRAM won't redesign the leaf spring based upon a single incident. If they have a statistically significant amount of failures, they would consider it. Filters aren't designed to be dropped and dented. If they did account for things like this, the price would be significantly higher. Probably high enough that BOF would be running the Ultra for 15k miles no matter how many OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back