Ford trucks vs Toyota trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not looking for a heated debate, but we are considering getting a truck so we can have a decent vehicle to tow and haul things with. Basically a utility vehicle. We plan to put about 6k a year on it, maybe less.

I'm looking at a '99 Ford Ranger, with 54k miles, 3.0 V6 in Rear Wheel drive for $4,500. The rear wheel concerns me as our winters are pretty harsh here. Looks like for MPG it gets between 16 and 20.

We are also considering an '00 Toyota Tundra (V8, 4WD, 160k, topper - $8900) and an '04 Tundra (V8, 4WD, 140k, no topper - $8900). We have had good luck with our Prius and Rav4, and her dad has had a wonderful trouble-free Corolla. Brother in law has a T100 he's beat to [censored] but still works fabulous, as well as a Camry that's on its last legs but has really high mileage. We are pretty much Toyota converts.

So, how do these trucks compare for reliability? Know toyota is pretty good but have heard great things about the Rangers. My main concern is that they will last a long time with minimal shop time and not cost me an arm and a leg to fix. And how do the '00 and '04 Tundra years compare?

Thanks!

It would depend on what you're going to tow and with a harsh winter maybe an older f150/silvarado/ram1500 that's 4x4 would be cheaper and offer a higher towing capacity.

Rust is everything! My vote is for the one with less rust.

If you're a Toyota family, or coming from one, and you buy a Ford, and if it ever has problems -- you'll never hear the end of it. OTOH, if you buy a Toyota and have problems, everyone will shrug it off. Vice versa is true, if you came from a Ford family. Food for thought.

I'm 99% sure the Ford doesn't have a timing belt, and 99% sure the Toyota will. The 4.7L is robust, the Toyota auto is robust (but do check the fluid, and treat like any other auto), but the V8 is going to be thirsty. Yeah, you drive little, but it's a known thirsty setup, like 15mpg on average or something. Be forewarned. Not positive but am pretty sure '00 and '04 is the same generation Tundra, with the same drivetrain.

4WD will trump in snow, but that said, Tundra uses old school part time, not the setup that you can drive on dry pavement--meaning, you probably need to weigh the rear end down, and use good snow tires, as most of the time you'll be in 2HI anyhow, and just using 4HI to get unstuck or if it's really atrocious.

Am guessing Ford will cost less for any given repair, relative to the Toyota. Will the Toyota require less repairs, or more importantly, less overall cost, between purchase and repairs? Beats me... $4,400 buys a fair amount of repairs.

If it was me, I'd go Tundra, 4WD and newer, and larger (if it's not used all the time, might as well go bigger--the first time you run out of space in the Ranger you'll think of this aspect). Larger vehicle is apt to pull better.

Now if it was a 4WD Ranger vs 4WD Tundra, that'd be different.

My vote would be for the Ranger. Throw a set of snow tires on the rear for winter. You got the Rav4 if it gets really bad. I've driven MANY miles in Michigan winter weather with 2 wd Ranger's. The 3.0 V-6 does not have a timing belt and are quite reliable.

My parent have a 2000 Tundra with 100k miles. It has been trouble free except for starter recently.

It is a far superior driving vehicle over the Ranger (neigbor has one). Ranger is more on par with Tacoma which rode miserably too.

I don't understand what a 3.0l v6 ranger can tow that you can't with your current cars. IMO buy a utility trailer and that will do everything the ranger could for 10% the price. If you really need to tow things this should be a Tundra vs F150 debate.

See if you can find a T100 in good shape. I have one, got it cheap, and its amazing. 19 mpg mixed, 4x4 ex cab, 5 speed manual. I love it. Its not really powerful but it drives great and is very solid. the toyota 3.4l v6 is great.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I don't understand what a 3.0l v6 ranger can tow that you can't with your current cars. IMO buy a utility trailer and that will do everything the ranger could for 10% the price. If you really need to tow things this should be a Tundra vs F150 debate.

Agree. If you really need to tow you need a diesel. Also, Tundra had a streak of quick rust problems with damaged frames - check those years out.

Good luck!

Toyota trucks rot out and they are overpriced on the used market.

Buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge.

What are you trying to use the truck for? A Ranger isn't going to tow much more than a Rav4.

Last edited:
Forgot one detail: look at fuel tank size. I think Tundra's had small tanks. I know mine does (26 gallons, but fuel light comes on at 6 left in the tank).

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

What are you trying to use the truck for? A Ranger isn't going to tow much more than a Rav4.
Beware the "Glittering Generality".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: bepperb

Agree. If you really need to tow you need a diesel. Also, Tundra had a streak of quick rust problems with damaged frames - check those years out.

Good luck!

Diesel trucks are over rated.

You have to define how much is being towed. 3,000lb, across town? Almost anything will do. 3,000lb, on a regular basis? Go full sized gas. 5,000lb, across town? Go gas full sized. 5,000lb, on a regular basis? Probably want to go diesel. 10k on a regular basis...

If you just want to tow, get a conversion van. They depreciate like rocks.

I'd get a stripped V6 full size 2wd truck for what you want.

Condition is everything, and aside from the generalities of this kind of thread, but a 4wd will have been taken out on every single salty bad weather day you can find-- while a 2wd probably stayed home.

My best oldest vehicles here in the rust belt have been RWD.

With the time frame of the vehicles you're considering, I'd say either one would be good. Figure out what factor(s) is most important to you and buy the one that comes the closest.

Now if you were talking about NEW vehicles, I would say Ford all the way. Toyota seems to have lost a lot of its cachet in the last few years.

Op.
What will the truck need to accomplish? If you need the larger truck to meet all the needs then choose the Toyota however personally I would only buy what I needed,and not bigger than it has to be.
With fuel never getting cheaper I would really consider its duty cycle and purchase accordingly.
I will add that a ranger is barely a truck,so keep that in mind when choosing. It's not going to tow or haul much,nor will it get your neighbours out of the ditch,so if all you need is a small utility vehicle I suggest a trailer and pull it with a vehicle you already have,because a rangers bed size and payload is comparable to a medium sized utility trailer which will cost under 1000 new.
Now if you are going to be really pulling and hauling things and actually using the abilities of a truck then buy a real truck.
Not that I don't like small trucks however I've never found one to be practical in real life use.
Just saying

We have rangers as company vehicles that see nothing but abuse? We drive them around the airport. They still run. Oil changes, who knows if they ever get done.

Me, I'm a Toyota man. Either way I'm sure both will last you a good while. Depends on how the previous owner took care of them.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Toyota (Tundra) fixed the rust issue by replacing the frame. The body is no worst or better than Big 3 of similiar age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back