Ford mod motor spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading in another thread about E3 spark plugs. NGK IR plugs were mentioned and some people raved about them. I didn't want to high jack the thread with this question. Ford modular motors are picky as to what plug goes in them and I have the same ones in there now as came from the factory. I'd like to try another plug in hopes it would be a bit better ever so be it. Changing plugs on these engines aren't like others and are difficult so I would like to know if any one has run these in their modular motor and the results.

Over a year ago I put the new Auto Lite iridium plug in my Grand Marq. 4.6 and they have been flawless so far. Maybe 22,000 miles.
Stay with the MC or A Lite in a Ford.

Last edited:
we have actually had a few cars brought in that have had e3 plugs installed and it set off check engine lights for misfires. changed out to Motorcraft and the misfires went away.

I would go with the Motorcraft Platinums or the NGK iridiums. Both should be good for 85-100K miles. I believe the MC's are cheaper though, making them a good value.

The way people were raving about E3s in B&S small engines I wouldn't hesitate to use them in my lawn mower snow blower as they both need ez start if the wife does it. Mod motors are picky. I can believe a code would pop up. I have to watch tuning my truck as I can pop up a code going to far out on a limb.

The MC plats are what went back in and the originals had 30k on them but I wanted to just do maintenace early to preclude normal problems. Don't want a spit plug and the expense of repair.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
The MC plats are what went back in and the originals had 30k on them but I wanted to just do maintenace early to preclude normal problems. Don't want a spit plug and the expense of repair.

What is a spit plug?

DOHC. Those are the ones with the plugs under the valve covers?

Yes, but they aren't that hard to replace. I put an extension on my ratchet and tape it on so it doesn't come loose. Worked well on my last MarkVIII.

I belive IIRC from 99 thru 03 spark plugs woukd be spit out damaging the threads in the head. It became common enuff a tool was made to repair the threads while the head remained on the engine.

the mustangs, marks, GT Supercars and marauders with the DOHC motors are cake to do plugs on, its when its in a Navigator its a nightmare. the cars with SOHC motors are simple as well, just take more time. the trucks with SOHC all suck especially the rear ones. the 3v motors are alright, but you have to be careful and follow the TSB otherwise they can break off in the head.

Sears carries a KD tool specifically made for mod motor plugs. They come in a 3 set or individually. The extension can't come loose from the spark plug socket and it's magnetized to hold the plug.

I've got an F-150 and anything in the rear of the engine is a nightmare. I had the heater hoses replaces and it was worth the money.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the mustangs, marks, GT Supercars and marauders with the DOHC motors are cake to do plugs on, its when its in a Navigator its a nightmare. the cars with SOHC motors are simple as well, just take more time. the trucks with SOHC all suck especially the rear ones. the 3v motors are alright, but you have to be careful and follow the TSB otherwise they can break off in the head.

I've heard of the plugs breaking. My brother is scared to replace the plugs on his 01' F150 5.4 but he needs to, they have well over 100,000 on them.

DOHC. Those are the ones with the plugs under the valve covers?

Correct.

It can be done but shouldn't have waited so long. You need to blow out all the wells first and put some penetrant down there. Break the plug loose and then tighten it. Turn the plug like an eighth of a turn then back. Do this on a cold engine. Make sure to use a smalll amount of anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs. I have an article on changing plugs in a mod motor if u want it. Just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back