Ford mod motor spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what year the updates started? I still want to switch my engine to a 3v some day but I don't want any of the problems.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I've read good and bad about Aotolites but not MC.

I've always had good luck with Autolites.

I personally haven't ever used them but if they work for you don't change. I've noticed my local auto parts store carries mostly Champion brand. I used them when I did tuneups years ago with good luck but Idon't hear much about them these days.

If you want to know about the TSB,You warm the vehicle up least an hour and crack the plugs loose an 1/8th turn after shutting it off.Pour down Ford's engine cleaner down the spark plug holes and Let it soak overnight.The spark plugs for the 3 valve 4.6s and 5.4s are made by Champion and has been redesigned 2 or three times.

Tree valve swap, now there is something I would like. Actually, what I wish'd they had done was a V10 based on the 4.6L deck, instead of making the 5.4. It would come out to around 351CID V10 and it would fit under my hood.

The 6.8L is the replacement for the old 460 so why would they make it smaller to around 351cu.in. when there's a 331cu.in. in the line up?

Well, I was saying NOT make the 331 and have the 351 V10 instead. The 6.8L could still exist as a tall deck of the 5.8. But, since I dont have the technology to fix it, Ill just have to live with it. :)

Sorry I misunderstood. Well as far as performance parts the tall/short deck block causes lack of interest on the manufacturers. Add the expense of a couple of more cylinders and the popularity is lacking even more. V10s are for the truck body line of vehicles so the car body would have to have a major redesign to have an engine that big.

Waste spark ignitions fire one plug one way, it's mate the other way. One +to-, the other -to+.
Double plats work well. Ford uses single plats on 1/2 of the plugs in a WS system, to save a few bucks. Double plats are best for replacements.
Iridium is great, but you are only getting it on one tip - the other is usually platinum.
I like MC double plats in Fords.

Be careful torquing down the plugs if you got a the older 5.4 engines. They will spit them out and then your really screwed.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Be careful torquing down the plugs if you got a the older 5.4 engines. They will spit them out and then your really screwed.

on all the mod motors spark plug torque is critical. the older 2v's and 4v's only had 4 threads for the spark plugs, the newer ones have 9 threads.

o and the 460 is a 7.5L

Yeah, I never got why they thought the 6.8L would be a suitable replacement. GM has that Monster Vortec 8.1 which is dominating it. I don't see any many new Class A motorhomes with the Ford engine.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Yeah, I never got why they thought the 6.8L would be a suitable replacement. GM has that Monster Vortec 8.1 which is dominating it. I don't see any many new Class A motorhomes with the Ford engine.

That 8.1 is a huge motor. I don't believe it's available anymore though, not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back