Using anti-seize on spark plugs or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always coated the threads with WD-40. Never a problem removing them.

I never use anti seize on cast iron heads. Just clean threads.

Never, ever, ever heard of a stripped plug hole on an inline 6 300 Ford.

aluminum heads - ALWAYS anti-seize

I tend to use a copper grease (light application of course) as the organic compounds flash off over time the copper remains (and provides a good electrical contact!!) As the copper is soft when it comes time to get them out for inspection, it's a very easy affair. I never install a bolt (spark plug) un-lubricated. I just use normal grease on non electrical conductive or non neat affected components

Copper grease is your best choice vs other metallic based anti-seize products, as copper is less reactive than both Aluminium and cast iron. Nickel and Zinc anti-seize products 'may' undergo a galvanic reaction, (more likely on iron head engines.)

Regards
Jordan

over many forums I keep seeing this question of anti-sieze on spark plugs being asked..

here's something to think about...

I had a tough time removing the spark plugs on the civic I inherited, but I went slow going back n forth to break them free. once I got them out I discovered lots of carbon in the threads. Ran a spark plug chaser down there, going slow. I did clean all the threads out of the aluminum alloy head. Since it's a chaser, didn't remove any material just the carbon/junk out of the threads.

So how does the spark plug thread in now? SMOOTH! No fighting it, when it gets finger tight, snug it with the wrench.

Now what I'm getting at.. maybe people are using or wanting to use anti-sieze because they aren't getting a smooth threading action, that it's binding. They think by using anti-sieze that it will help lube up the threads and make it easier to thread.

But how about that there could just be carbon/junk in the threads and use a spark plug thread chaser instead to clean it out, then see how easy it is to thread the plug without anti-sieze!
thumbsup2.gif

I spray little WD-40 to clean the threaded plug holes and lubricate them. And just a little anti-seize on the NGK/Denso/Autolite plugs.
Always thread them in by hand until they seat. Then torque 'em to a little under spec, due to the lubrication.

NGK/Denso on the Acura, Hondas and Tundra.
Autolites on the 65 4-4-2 and 68 L36 Corvette Roadster.

Never used anti-seize on plugs.

But if I did, I'd use the aluminium stuff, and the effect on the torque wouldn't worry me.

Since I've never used a torque wrench on plugs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back