Ford F-250 hits 1 million miles in 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: justinf89
Guess ford doesn't expect it to reach 1 mil

Of course they didn't. Nobody else did either. If they did, there wouldn't be an article written about it, and we wouldn't be talking about it, would we?
wink.gif

Quite impressive...both the miles this guy covers and the truck! I wonder which gas engine it was, the 10 or the 8?

Originally Posted By: RANDYZ
Wow, $67,000 in maintenance.

I know, that is serrrrrious. This guy is definitely a candidate for extended drains. Some oil company should have sponsored this guy in exchange for real world test data.

I thought the same thing too then I said to myself "$6,700 per 100,000" which is high. My guess is the V10 was rebuilt once or twice, the transmission 3x-4x and many of the fuel injection and suspension components were replaced as well.

It's still cheaper than doing very basic, minimal maint and getting a new truck @ 250k.

Ford makes a good truck. Also, there was a story out roughly ten years ago about a guy with a Chevy pick-up. He had a paper route that stretched into two states. He put on 800 miles per day and was having his oil changed every four days at his local Pennzoil Jiffy Lube. After he hit a million miles Pennzoil did a nice thing and bought him a brand new truck for all his business at the Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: H25B

I thought the same thing too then I said to myself "$6,700 per 100,000" which is high. My guess is the V10 was rebuilt once or twice, the transmission 3x-4x and many of the fuel injection and suspension components were replaced as well.

It's still cheaper than doing very basic, minimal maint and getting a new truck @ 250k.

No mention of rebuilds. That 67K also includes tires which is a big expense on that F250.

Originally Posted By: H25B

There is another article on this truck:

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/oct/22/truck-hitting-1-million-miles-prompting-party-st/

Quote:
Before he mounted an external air conditioner on the truck, he would sometimes leave it running for “14 or 15 days straight to keep the dogs cool,” he said.

Engine has been replaced once at 400,000 miles:

Quote:
Marsella has spun a number of air conditioner pumps, generators and “a couple of clutches” off his truck and replaced the gas-powered engine at 400,000 miles — with one from the salvage yard that had 100,000 miles on it.

And:

Quote:
Otherwise, either he or his two sons, 22-year-old Mike and 18-year-old Joe, who have recently taken over some of Dad’s driving duties, stop into the shop every week for the 7,000-mile, high-mileage oil change, and it’s back on the road.

So, he gets an oil change every week.

52 weeks in a year, $20.00 an oil change: $1040.00 in oil changes

Quote:
Bridgestone/Firestone Tires will be on hand to present Marsella with new tires.

He only managed 144,000 miles on his last set.

Tires for a 3/4 ton 4x4: $175/each lets say. Replaced every maybe 125? I'm not sure if that comment in the article was a joke or not. That is $700/set of tires. Two sets a year.

So we are up to $2440/year in tires and oil changes.

Would be interesting to see where the rest of the money went. No mention of the tranny being rebuilt in the article....

I have to seriously question that mileage in 4 years for a single driver.

That averages out to more than 684 miles per day, every day.

The article also states that he does 7,000 to 10,000 miles per week, which might be doable on rare occasions, but isn't on a regular basis. If he does 7,000 miles per week, the mileage should be closer to 1.5 million miles. Again, maybe an occasional 7,000 mile week, but I don't buy 7,000 to 10,000 every week. The claims in the referenced articles simply don't add up.

10,000 miles at an average of 65 MPH adds up to just over 153 hours driving-no stopping, no rest area, nothing. There are only 168 hours in a week. Maybe around 15 hours of non driving time a week (that includes stopping for food, fuel, rest room breaks and sleep)? I doubt it.

It's definitely doable - OTR truck drivers do it all day long in trucks limited to low 60s mph and under FMCSA hours of service limits.

Averaging 70 mph, he'd be driving everyday for a little over 9 hours a day.

I bet the 7,000 to 10,000 miles is per month, not per week.

I just can't imagine the greyhound dog market is that good!

Last edited:
Sounds like he's got the original manual transmission and I can believe the 140,000 mile tires too. The ones on my Tracker should get that far if I run them to the wear bars.

Ridiculous!
I can't even imagine in Canada how much it would cost in fuel alone to drive that pig that much.
I had to put gas in a V10 Ford Uhaul truck once, I swear driving one of those could bankrupt someone.

So is this really a milestone? What actually went 1 million miles? Tires replaced (obviously), brakes (same), engine, probably the trans has had a major overhaul, probably suspension parts, after all he has spent $67,000 on repairs. So I guess that leaves the body and frame that actually went a million miles. I think the only thing impressive here is an engine that went 400,000 miles and then even more impressive is the second engine that has apparently gone 700,000 miles (100,000 already when he got it). I guess in 4 more years he'll claim the truck now went 2 million miles.

What impresses me is he had to average 685 miles a day to do that in 4 years. If I did it in one day, I wouldn't be able to sit for a week.

ref

Originally Posted By: mikiee
So is this really a milestone? What actually went 1 million miles? Tires replaced (obviously), brakes (same), engine, probably the trans has had a major overhaul, probably suspension parts, after all he has spent $67,000 on repairs. So I guess that leaves the body and frame that actually went a million miles. I think the only thing impressive here is an engine that went 400,000 miles and then even more impressive is the second engine that has apparently gone 700,000 miles (100,000 already when he got it). I guess in 4 more years he'll claim the truck now went 2 million miles.

The odometer didn't make it to a million miles, since it failed at 999,999.

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back