Ford F-250 hits 1 million miles in 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't do that. Heck my trip to VA/DC from N.Jersey was only 250/300 miles and i was going bonkers from my back and butt hurting to being confined to a vehicle.

Hah, you guys a bunch a wusses. Drove/rode 1200 miles/24 hours non stop to florida and back, and no problem. 500 miles to/from ohio... No problem. No pain, nothin. Maybe you have uncomfortable seats or something.
grin.gif

Last edited:
When I drive from Miami to NYC I generally drive 700 miles a day...I usually leave at 5:30AM and stop around 6-6:30PM...I stop for a quick breakfast,lunch,several Dunkin Donuts for coffee and at several rest stops to jog a little.

Of coarse it all depends on traffic,weather,accidents road construction and whatever else comes along while your out there on the road...But generally you will have at least one or more things I listed thrown at you.

The Crown Vic is nice&comfy so my back is just fine during the entire trip.

This story is so flawed it is laughable. If the truck's engine and transmission have been rebuilt or replaced then it is not the originally equipment anymore.

That is not to say that a vehicle can't last 1 million miles because a well built vehicle from Honda can do that when good maintenance is in order. A lot of Honda achieve 400k miles with just basic maintenance. If synthetic oil is used and OCIs for the engine and transmission are short (i.e. 5k) then a million miles marker isn't hard to reach. Alternator, water pump, timing belt, radiators, tires, brakes, etc are wear items and not counted. Only engine and transmission are the true measure of the car maker's build quality as other parts are supplied by 3rd parties.

I know people with Ford and Buick from the 50s and 60s and they still run on originally engine and transmission without a rebuild. They don't have more than 300k miles on them but that is because they're not daily driver and maintenance on them is just the basic by various owner. If a well-built vehicle is owned by one owner who does his own maintenance rigorously, 500k miles are very achievable and 1 mil isn't that hard.

Of course, there is a big difference between engine rebuild and engine repair and ultra high miler may need some engine adjustment or some wear part replaced just like the MT can have the clutch replaced. But a engine or transmission rebuild should set the vehicle mile marker back to 0 as far as durability is concern.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
This story is so flawed it is laughable. If the truck's engine and transmission have been rebuilt or replaced then it is not the originally equipment anymore.

That is not to say that a vehicle can't last 1 million miles because a well built vehicle from Honda can do that when good maintenance is in order. A lot of Honda achieve 400k miles with just basic maintenance. If synthetic oil is used and OCIs for the engine and transmission are short (i.e. 5k) then a million miles marker isn't hard to reach. Alternator, water pump, timing belt, radiators, tires, brakes, etc are wear items and not counted. Only engine and transmission are the true measure of the car maker's build quality as other parts are supplied by 3rd parties.

I know people with Ford and Buick from the 50s and 60s and they still run on originally engine and transmission without a rebuild. They don't have more than 300k miles on them but that is because they're not daily driver and maintenance on them is just the basic by various owner. If a well-built vehicle is owned by one owner who does his own maintenance rigorously, 500k miles are very achievable and 1 mil isn't that hard.

Of course, there is a big difference between engine rebuild and engine repair and ultra high miler may need some engine adjustment or some wear part replaced just like the MT can have the clutch replaced. But a engine or transmission rebuild should set the vehicle mile marker back to 0 as far as durability is concern.

How many million mile Honda's do you own? How many 400,000 mile Honda's do you own? 700,000 mile Honda's? (engine #2 in this thing, probably a 5.4L judging from what Dualie stated).

This thing didn't get short OCI's on synthetic. It got regular OCI's (7,000 miles) on dyno. And engine #1 made your 400,000 mile mark. And apparently engine #2 is on at the 700,000 mile mark.

I find your comment about 1 million miles not being hard simply obsurd. Until you've actually ACCRUED that kind of mileage on a vehicle, you have no clue how difficult it is or isn't. VERY few people keep their vehicles for even a 1/4 of that mileage. Let alone half!

Easy indeed.

Wasn't there also an Econoline van that made it 1,000,000 miles on the original engine? It was a modular V8, either a 5.4 or 4.6.

Even 700,000 on one engine is impressive. I used to work in the Auto industry and the highest I have seen in person was 700,000 km's on the original engine (actually, three vehicles with this mileage). I thought that was pretty impressive, and this truck beats them by a long shot. Even though it's an accomplishment in one way, it's kind of sad that the driver wasted that much of his life behind the wheel of a truck. You couldn't pay enough to do that.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

This thing didn't get short OCI's on synthetic. It got regular OCI's (7,000 miles) on dyno. And engine #1 made your 400,000 mile mark.

Is that really that impressive, though? Considering it's constant use and highway miles, I have a hard time thinking that more frequent oil changes would have been beneficial with any SM-rated oil? Honestly, 400K out of the original engine, given its operating conditions, doesn't really seem that great to me? The second engine, on the other hand....

I find your comment about 1 million miles not being hard simply obsurd. Until you've actually ACCRUED that kind of mileage on a vehicle, you have no clue how difficult it is or isn't. VERY few people keep their vehicles for even a 1/4 of that mileage. Let alone half!

Easy indeed.

Let's face it, this is a pretty unique situation. Comparing this vehicle to someone's daily driver is equally absurd. $65K in maintenance and being run basically non-stop for 2 years certainly isn't a typical situation.

I just can't figure out why they don't fly the dogs??

I just think that those sort of comparisons (hey, it's easy with a HONDA!) are absolutely absurd. Since Honda doesn't even make a vehicle that fits this usage profile.

Obviously, engine #1 had something happen to it, since #2 has gone almost twice as far with the same maintenance type.

My point about 7K OCI's on dyno was in response to his point about it being "easy in a Honda with short OCI's (5K) on synthetic". Which, apart from the application being completely different, now we are changing out the maintenance schedule too!

How many million mile Honda's do you own? How many 400,000 mile Honda's do you own? 700,000 mile Honda's? (engine #2 in this thing, probably a 5.4L judging from what Dualie stated).

This thing didn't get short OCI's on synthetic. It got regular OCI's (7,000 miles) on dyno. And engine #1 made your 400,000 mile mark. And apparently engine #2 is on at the 700,000 mile mark.

Easy indeed.

I am in my 20s and don't drive for living, unlike the guy in the story. I'll get my 500k miles in my Accord eventually and it will be no sweat. And that is just for a typical person commuting to work. If my Accord was used as a courier vehicle running up and down the east coast to deliver medical or banking essentials, I would have no problem reaching 1 million mile and I am sure the engine would be just fine with M1 5W20 and filter. The fact that this vehicle in question had 2 engines disqualifies it already.

Quote:
I am in my 20s and don't drive for living, unlike the guy in the story. I'll get my 500k miles in my Accord eventually and it will be no sweat. And that is just for a typical person commuting to work. If my Accord was used as a courier vehicle running up and down the east coast to deliver medical or banking essentials, I would have no problem reaching 1 million mile and I am sure the engine would be just fine with M1 5W20 and filter. The fact that this vehicle in question had 2 engines disqualifies it already.

Now that is prety funny and cocky at the same time.

How many cars have you taken previously to 500k miles?

I haven't taken any car to 500k miles, not even 300k miles

I had a used Corsica, that I got from my father, that he bought used when it was about 3-4 year old, and I took that car to about 190k, miles and it was not as easy as you think.
Plenty of small things just broke because of age, not miles.

Not to mention that sometimes things break and there is no replacement for them. Junkyard? Sure, and every part in there is at least as old as what you're replacing.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Quote:

Now that is prety funny and cocky at the same time.

How many cars have you taken previously to 500k miles?

I haven't taken any car to 500k miles, not even 300k miles

I had a used Corsica, that I got from my father, that he bought used when it was about 3-4 year old, and I took that car to about 190k, miles and it was not as easy as you think.
Plenty of small things just broke because of age, not miles.

Thanks you for calling these people out.

It's easy to speculate on anything I guess, but 500k miles no sweat, yeah right! I bet less then 1% of people have ever kept a car to 300k+. Good luck with it though. But I suspect it'll start nickle and dimeing you, and you'll dump it like everyone else does.

There was a guy in the maintenance area that had a auto trans rebuilt in his '01 215k mile Honda Civic, and people were saying he was nuts. To many miles on that car, etc. WHAT??? But I thought Honda's went for ever!!!! So which is it????

Wow, can't believe people saying this isn't impressive. 400 and 700K(so far), is quite good from a gasoline engine. While yes the truck sees highway miles, he also leaves the truck running alot just to keep the dogs cool.

Not to mention, this thing racked up a million miles in 4 years. Is that not impressive in itself?

"Before he mounted an external air conditioner on the truck, he would sometimes leave it running for “14 or 15 days straight"

That's probably what happened to the first engine.

That is not to say that a vehicle can't last 1 million miles because a well built vehicle from Honda can do that when good maintenance is in order.

You should find some wood and knock on it, or throw some salt over your shoulder quick...lol Karmas gonna get you man. That Honda of yours might spin a bearing or grenade a tranny any day now. Your contention that getting a million miles out of a car is "easy" is laughable.

Really? Are you sure about that? How many miles do you currently accrue annually? I put on ~50,000Km (31,000 miles) and at that rate it is going to take me TWELVE YEARS to put 500,000 miles on the Expedition including the 128,000 miles that are currently on it. And I drive a LOT. It is a 2002. Which means it will be TWENTY years old by the time it hits that mileage, assuming that I continue to rack up the mileage at the rate I am currently going.

For the average 15K a year driver, on a new car, it will take them THIRTY THREE YEARS to get to 500,000 miles. That means a guy who is 25 would have to be driving the same car when he is 58 to get there at that rate.

Idling a gas motor for 14-15 hours strait is impressive. A couple of times when we were hauling livestock coast to coast my truck would run for 48 hours strait. The only time it would even idle was for fuel and food which were combined stops.

We wouldn't touch the key for 2+ days.

But my F-350 is a diesel and only has 380,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back