Ford F-250 hits 1 million miles in 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: -Clayton-
"Before he mounted an external air conditioner on the truck, he would sometimes leave it running for “14 or 15 days straight"

That's probably what happened to the first engine.

That is exactly what I was thinking

I think all the cars and trucks in Miami should have a idle meter as I constantly see cars idling for very long periods all year long to keep the a/c on.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Wow, can't believe people saying this isn't impressive. 400 and 700K(so far), is quite good from a gasoline engine. While yes the truck sees highway miles, he also leaves the truck running alot just to keep the dogs cool.

Not to mention, this thing racked up a million miles in 4 years. Is that not impressive in itself?

I agree with panthermike on this.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I am in my 20s and don't drive for living, unlike the guy in the story. I'll get my 500k miles in my Accord eventually and it will be no sweat. And that is just for a typical person commuting to work. If my Accord was used as a courier vehicle running up and down the east coast to deliver medical or banking essentials, I would have no problem reaching 1 million mile and I am sure the engine would be just fine with M1 5W20 and filter. The fact that this vehicle in question had 2 engines disqualifies it already.

My dad has a dealer maintained Civic Hybrid he bought new. He bought the car when it was still in Japan. It didn't even get test driven by another customer. The car has 90% highway models and needed the transmission replaced before 40K miles. I guess that disqualifies it?

I'd like more details on this truck, but it sounds like it did well given the conditions. Do you run your Honda for two weeks at a time?

Yeah, M1 Accord you seem to be pretty full of yourself on the internet. After the easy to do a million comment and the thread about talking down to manual drivers I guess you got it all figured out.

So lets change it to M1AITOG.

I could rack up 50k miles a year if I don't carpool. There are a lot of people at work having Cherokee, Corolla, Buick, and Civic with over 300k miles on them with originally engine and transmission as well as a majority of other things such a radiator, hoses, and valves. The only things they replace are starter and alternator along with wear items such as brake and tires. And they don't sweat over the maintenance, letting quick lube or Walmart doing oil change every 6 months or so. Therefore, this Ford isn't all that impressive to me, giving that the miles accumulated in such a short time. Driving a car doesn't hurt it. Letting it sits and doing a lot of unnecessary cold start while not changing the fluids are what kills vehicles. This is why taxi vehicle do very well just sitting and no high miles and I would think taxi miles are tougher than the miles this truck has.

My opinion is that this Ford truck as well as the story about the Volvo getting over 2 millions are phony created by attention seeking folks with nothing much to do. The Volvo owner still has not given people the proper explanation how he got all those miles for being a teacher. There has been speculation that he rotated them up for notoriety gain. He has several vehicles with high miles as well and people can't drive that much. Where does he find the time or the money for gas?

As for this Ford needing to be running constantly to keep the dogs cool, that is the most absurd things I have ever heard. If someone is transporting dogs for living, would they have a place to keep the dogs overnight instead of running their truck to keep the cabin cool? That is the worst and most expensive way of doing it.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

I think all the cars and trucks in Miami should have a idle meter as I constantly see cars idling for very long periods all year long to keep the a/c on.

The newer CVPIs all have hour meters.

Total fake in my mind.
60mph is the reasonable number on most highways with fuel, restroom, lunch, and break stops. That is, of course, considering that he drives only on highways. Without ever driving into a city limits or areas where some traffic congestion might happen. He might be able to push to 80mph ave. speed on some segments, but that would be rather short (I would think no more than 300-400 consecutive miles).

10000k miles/week divide by 60mph = 166.7 hours of driving a week
166.7 hours divide by 24 hours in a day = 6.94 days
there are 168 hours in a week

Who in a right mind would believe that a single guy can drive a truck 166.7 out of 168 hours a week???

He wouldn't be able to do it with even if he had a second driver, restroom, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom in his truck + full pit crew doing his maintenance and refueling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
This story is so flawed it is laughable. If the truck's engine and transmission have been rebuilt or replaced then it is not the originally equipment anymore.

That is not to say that a vehicle can't last 1 million miles because a well built vehicle from Honda can do that when good maintenance is in order. A lot of Honda achieve 400k miles with just basic maintenance. If synthetic oil is used and OCIs for the engine and transmission are short (i.e. 5k) then a million miles marker isn't hard to reach. Alternator, water pump, timing belt, radiators, tires, brakes, etc are wear items and not counted. Only engine and transmission are the true measure of the car maker's build quality as other parts are supplied by 3rd parties.

I know people with Ford and Buick from the 50s and 60s and they still run on originally engine and transmission without a rebuild. They don't have more than 300k miles on them but that is because they're not daily driver and maintenance on them is just the basic by various owner. If a well-built vehicle is owned by one owner who does his own maintenance rigorously, 500k miles are very achievable and 1 mil isn't that hard.

Of course, there is a big difference between engine rebuild and engine repair and ultra high miler may need some engine adjustment or some wear part replaced just like the MT can have the clutch replaced. But a engine or transmission rebuild should set the vehicle mile marker back to 0 as far as durability is concern.

How many million mile Honda's do you own? How many 400,000 mile Honda's do you own? 700,000 mile Honda's? (engine #2 in this thing, probably a 5.4L judging from what Dualie stated).

This thing didn't get short OCI's on synthetic. It got regular OCI's (7,000 miles) on dyno. And engine #1 made your 400,000 mile mark. And apparently engine #2 is on at the 700,000 mile mark.

I find your comment about 1 million miles not being hard simply obsurd. Until you've actually ACCRUED that kind of mileage on a vehicle, you have no clue how difficult it is or isn't. VERY few people keep their vehicles for even a 1/4 of that mileage. Let alone half!

Easy indeed.

How many of those Hondas actually worked, except to get out of their own way? Like towed something or idled for long periods at a time. I don't see many Hondas doing any of that.
I sure as heck don't see them at campsites pulling anything. I sure do see plenty of trucks doing it though.

Originally Posted By: unixguru
Total fake in my mind.
60mph is the reasonable number on most highways with fuel, restroom, lunch, and break stops. That is, of course, considering that he drives only on highways. Without ever driving into a city limits or areas where some traffic congestion might happen. He might be able to push to 80mph ave. speed on some segments, but that would be rather short (I would think no more than 300-400 consecutive miles).

Who in a right mind would believe that a single guy can drive a truck 166.7 out of 168 hours a week???

He wouldn't be able to do it with even if he had a second driver, restroom, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom in his truck + full pit crew doing his maintenance and refueling.

Winner winner, chicken dinner. That 166.7 hrs doesn't include him idling for hrs if not days before he installed separated cooling unit. And I heard the car runs on unattainablenium formulated by a Martian scientist in exile. That's how he gets to never run out of fuel while driving, speeding, and idling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unixguru
Total fake in my mind.

Dude, I think I already established that the 10,000/week is a typo and they meant 10,000/month, which is perfectly doable. People who drive for a living - truckers, expediters, long distance couriers, do this kind of mileage all day everyday. You just don't hear about them. Heck, there's a guy who's a medical courier who has like 500,000 miles on a 2008 Yaris and everything is original (including the head gaskets I might add...)

My opinion is that this Ford truck as well as the story about the Volvo getting over 2 millions are phony created by attention seeking folks with nothing much to do. The Volvo owner still has not given people the proper explanation how he got all those miles for being a teacher. There has been speculation that he rotated them up for notoriety gain. He has several vehicles with high miles as well and people can't drive that much. Where does he find the time or the money for gas?

As for this Ford needing to be running constantly to keep the dogs cool, that is the most absurd things I have ever heard. If someone is transporting dogs for living, would they have a place to keep the dogs overnight instead of running their truck to keep the cabin cool? That is the worst and most expensive way of doing it.

crackmeup2.gif
50.gif

I'm a conspiracy nut, but what you just typed is garbage.

For 19 years I averaged between 70,000 and 80,000 miles per year with my job, and that was all local with no long runs.

For the type of job this guy is doing, with lots of highway runs, the numbers are completely believable IMO.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
For 19 years I averaged between 70,000 and 80,000 miles per year with my job, and that was all local with no long runs.

For the type of job this guy is doing, with lots of highway runs, the numbers are completely believable IMO.

During the late 80's and 90's I had to make runs from NYC to Miami in my 88 Town Car...I averaged around 80K miles a year.

I agree with LS2JSTS and KrisZ that the numbers are completely believable.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

During the late 80's and 90's I had to make runs from NYC to Miami in my 88 Town Car...I averaged around 80K miles a year.

I agree with LS2JSTS and KrisZ that the numbers are completely believable.

Don't you think there is a tiny little difference between 80K per year versus 250K per year?

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back