Ford 5w-20 M2c930-a; who goes 7.5k as recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to set the record straight, there is a large difference between what is "recommended" in the manual, and what is "specified" (required) in the manual.

WSS-M2C930-A is a Ford spec for 5w-20 engine oil. Most all the major players (Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc) make DINO products that meet that critera, and are "certified" as such with Ford's license.

In particular, looking at the Mobil Clean 5000 product, it specifically meets that spec.
See here: https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_5000_5W-20.aspx
I chose this because there was a really good deal at my local farm store on this by the case; $1.69/qrt with rebate recently.

As I inquired; I wondered if anyone wasy doing it with dino oil, not the MC semi-syn.

Apparently, I'm going to be the first to do it and report on it here.
Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Mobil Clean 5000 is guaranteed to provide excellent performance and protection for all car engines for up to 5,000 miles of normal driving

Hey, it's your new vehicle and money...but
Mobil Clean 5000 is dino oil and only good for 5k miles. It will be interesting to see any UOA's you perform on this oil in your vehicle and if it will go 7500 miles.

Last edited:
1. Do not change the oil before 7500 miles.

2. At 15000 mile OCI, change the oil with MC 5W-20 and get the oil tested (UOA). The test will show that the oil has plenty of miles left in it.

3. After the warranty period, you can go 10K+ miles on MC 5W-20 oil. Have the UOA once/year or when you change brands.

I have used MC5W-20 in my '03 Sable for more than 13K miles and the UOA by Blackstone where outstanding. I now use Amsoil 0W-20 and change it once/year... with more than 22K miles on it. Blackstone UOA is excellent with Amsoil too.

My wife now drives our 2010 Fusion SEL 2.5L I4. It has 6K miles on the factory fill.

Trust what Ford tells you, but back it up with an UOA.

The major factors to long OCI are:

Trips >10 miles

Speed than 45 MPH

Minimum WOT
0911091817a.jpg

rossn2 - you've only got part of the story. "Mobil Clean 5000 is dino oil and only good for 5k miles." is what you claim. But that is not a "limit" on the upper end; that is their guarantee on the lower end. They do allow for longer OCIs IF the OEM OLM or recommendation is spec'd as such. Hence, with Clean 5000 meeting and licensed for WSS-M2C930-A, it should be acceptable for 7.5k mile "normal" OCIs per the owner's manual.

I'm willing to try it; I was just wondering if any others here were doing the same. If nothing else, it will be great fun admonishing the nay-sayers. As I stated initially; my service factor is very "normal". 22 mile commute each way, very little stop-light traffic. Mostly 45-65 mph. To give you a notion of how moderate my use is, I'm averaging just a hair over 30 mpg.

Would love to find someone with same car, that would run the Motor Craft semi-syn for a comparison against my forthcoming UOAs.

Last edited:
rossn2 - you've only got part of the story. "Mobil Clean 5000 is dino oil and only good for 5k miles." is what you claim.

But that is not a "limit" on the upper end; that is their guarantee on the lower end. They do allow for longer OCIs IF the OEM OLM or recommendation is spec'd as such.

Hence, with Clean 5000 meeting and licensed for WSS-M2C930-A, it should be acceptable for 7.5k mile "normal" OCIs.

It's not what I claim, it's directly from Mobil and the website you provided the link too. Where does it state "they allow for loger OCIs if the OEM OLM or recommendation is spec'd as such." and "it should be acceptable for 7.5 mile "normal OCIs?" From the webiste of Mobil "oil drain intervals up to 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first."

Not 7500 miles you're inferring. The only way to know for sure is to conduct an UOA.

Last edited:
From the FAQ's section: My owner's manual says to change oil every 10,000 miles; can I still use Mobil Clean 5000?

Yes. For applications where the oil life indicator light or owner's manual recommended change interval exceeds 5,000 miles and a conventional oil is recommended, Mobil Clean 5000 will provide protection for the full oil change interval

Once again, the Ford Manual calls for Mortorcraft 5w-20, which is semi-synthetic, not dino oil. You're mixing apples and oranges. If you want to go 7500 miles, then use the Mobile Clean 7500, which is semi-synthetic.

Easiest way to tell is to conduct an UOA at 5K miles and see if the oil can go longer. That's the only way to know for sure..

Last edited:
I should preface this to the fact that I don't want to get into some confrontational argument. I don't mean to disrespect you. With that in mind, please be assured I also mean to set the record straight.

You're caught up in "recommended" versus "required" or "specified".

I currently work as a statisitical process and quality control engineer at a differnt company right now, but I used to work for Ford Motor Company at their steering systems plant in Indy for 16 years. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW FORD SPEC'S FLUIDS AND WHAT THEIR "INTENT" IS. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't need a lecture on how to interpret Ford specs; I lived them for 16 years.

Right in the manual, it clearly states the semi-synthetic fluids are "not required" for warranty purposes. What IS required is a fluid meeting WSS-M2C930-A, which includes a large segement of the dino lube market from the major players. That spec is a performance based specification. The base stock is not dictated in the spec.

All I want is someone to participate in a friendly study of sorts. I'll run dino, someone else can run semi-syns, and then we'll compare UOAs. If you read my initial post, I simply wanted to hear from anyone who was currently doing as such.

Unless, of course, you'd like to make my payments, in which case I'll OCI according to your plan.

Last edited:
Just in case someone wants to understand what the Ford specs ACTUALLY are, see here:
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_service_fill_specs.pdf

This is a reporting form (actually, an application) for license approval of a lubricant to meet either WSS-M2C930-A (5w-20) or WSS-M2C929-A (5w-30), respectively.

If the fluid submitted meets the criteria, it's approved and licensed. If it meets these criteria, then it's acceptable to be used, with warranty provisions intact, for all applications meeting the defined service criteria.

Questions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I am following you agree with you dnewton3

Yup I follow his 1/2 baked version of reality too.

Seriously? The OCI has nothing to do with Semi-Syn. They have to do with using oil that is WSS-M2C930-A. That could be conventional, semi syn or syn. The OCI is based on using the "required Spec"// My Ford Explorer recomends BP gasoline on the gas cap> Does that mean I can't do a full OCI on another gas? Or am I fine on any ole 87 Octane unleaded? Maybe since I use whatever the grocery store has I should cut my OCI ?
wink.gif

Last edited:
And I quote directly from my 2010 Ford Fusion manual, page 328, footnote #2:

"Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirement of Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A and the API certification mark."

Per Ford, 7500 miles is the "normal" OCI with a fluid meeting that spec. Many dino fluids meet that spec and are licensed as such. Time, and UOAs, will tell the tale. But I suspect it will be just fine.

Last edited:
Just an update to this topic.

I recently read about someone who got an early look (or download) of the 2011 Ford Fiesta owners manual.

In it, oil change intervals are said to be up to 10,000 miles using 5W20 (shorter distance for severe service). I am assuming that this is applys for the same Motorcraft 5W20 blend that we all are using. Then again, maybe it involves the new GF-5 motor oils.

Anyhow, this bodes as good news, anyway you look at it.

my wifes '06 milan has had 5,000mi oci's since new with mc 5w-20.

now has 65,000 mi. with 0 issues, if i'm not mistaken the longer oci of 7500 mi came out after my 06.
i'm sure 7500mi intervals aren't a issue, just like 10,000mi intervals won't be an issue on the newer models.

these late models are running so much more efficiently than even 5 years ago its almost mind-boggeling, hence the longer oci

Well, the GF-5 should be even better. I'm going to be putting a lot more miles on the Honda with this oil.

Quote:
This oil has been thoroughly evaluated by Ford Motor Company and has performed flawlessly in all dynamometer and vehicle durability tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back