First oil filter you ever bought

The first one I remember buying was a Pennzoil PZ-1 for my mom's 1967 Galaxy 500. It was 1974 and I was working for the local Pennzoil distributor.

Probably a felt cartridge insert made by BMC or BAP/GEON for my 1960 'bugeye' Austin Healy Sprite. It had a 948cc 4 banger with twin SU carbs. 48 asthmatic HP if I remember.

I bought my first oil filter in 1969 and I do not remember. I do remember the filter wouldn't come off and my neighbor helped me.

A Hastings that I got from a local parts store. It was all they had for the Datsun B210 that was handed down to me while in high school. Definitely not a chick magnet, but beat walking. My Dad was a Quaker State man, so I probably grabbed something from his stash.

Fram Orange Can for a GM 4.3L V6. I used them for years without an issue. “Cardboard” end caps and all.

The Napa store and a Shell station was the only choices in the little town I grew up in and I worked at the Shell station on Saturday’s

so it was a Napa filter and shell oil

No idea. I know I started doing oil changes as a teen on my '77 Monte Carlo in '86.
I do good to remember what my most recent filter purchase is, much less almost 35 years ago.
I do remember buying both Fram and Wix in the '90's though.

Whatever the shop I was apprenticing at used. It was for my first car (Duster 340 W/4-speed), which I had to rebuild the engine and transmission on (with some guidance). I was 15.

Back