First gun - cleaning & lube frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually clean pistols and rifles around the 500-1k round range. Unless its an old collectable or shooting corrosive ammunition.

Bore snake will get most of the grime out of the barrel. A must have in my opinion. Then blast the action, bolt, and trigger components with an aerosol can of Break Free, Rem Oil or one of the many others. Only takes about 10 minutes. Don't forget to oil the action bars, bolt, and trigger contact points.

I've bought a lot of used 870's over the years and the absolute grimiest/neglected area is usually the magazine where the shells are located. Take the spring and follower out and clean that area with a bore brush or bore snake at least once a year.

Most of the aerosol gun cleaners, action cleaners, etc are just rebadged carb/brake cleaners at 4 times the cost. A good brake cleaner followed up by a good gun oil will clean it spotless. I only use these when it gets really dirty.

I use this normally
00112.jpg

I should point out that often a gun of mine will sit for several months before being shot again, so I prefer putting them away clean...if they saw more frequent use, I would not worry about cleaning after every range period..E.G. My H&K duty gun saw over 1,200 rounds in dusty outdoor conditions before it was first cleaned...but that was over a period of only 6 days...no worries.

I recently bought several cans of MAF cleaner (plastic safe) on clearance...just to clean guns...

Last edited:
Cleaning kits are pretty much the same. A handle, rods, brushes, and patch holder. I don't shoot my single shot shotgun hardly at all so keep it oiled once or twice per year. If I had a shotgun I'd still use the rod/brush thing, but would consider a bore snake.

I use a bore snake on the ARs and am completely happy with it. I run a brush down it the old fashioned way every now and then.

Pistols get the rod/brush treatment.

Some guys clean every thousand rounds. I'm not one of them. I clean and oil after I shoot since a body never really knows when he'll get them back out. Life being what it is, the best plans of mince and men, etc.

It sounds like you could get away with simply cleaning and oiling after each range trip, and revisit/reoil ever 6-12 months if not being fired.

IMO, anyway.

Have you given consideration to a pistol caliber carbine for your HD needs? I have a "Remlin" (a Marlin made in the Remington factory) 1894C in .357 mag. Fast, quick to work the action, VERY low recoil even with Buffalo Bore ammo. The carbine has an 18" barrel, and this nearly doubles the muzzle energy over the revolver. Another plus is the ability to practice with .38 special ammo. Yes, I shot a box of .38's and had no difficulty getting .357's to load after; because I wanted to test that old chestnut.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Have you given consideration to a pistol caliber carbine for your HD needs? I have a "Remlin" (a Marlin made in the Remington factory) 1894C in .357 mag. Fast, quick to work the action, VERY low recoil even with Buffalo Bore ammo. The carbine has an 18" barrel, and this nearly doubles the muzzle energy over the revolver. Another plus is the ability to practice with .38 special ammo. Yes, I shot a box of .38's and had no difficulty getting .357's to load after; because I wanted to test that old chestnut.

If I'm going to haul around something the size and weight of a rifle I want rifle power coming out the small end.

I do have a pistol cal carbine (Uzi) and it's a blast to shoot. But it's the last long arm I'd pick up if given the choice between that or any of my rifles or shotgun.

I would use the Uzi before any of the pistols, assuming the gunfight I'm involved in isn't taking place inside a phone booth.

BSW

I've always cleaned it before shooting, even when brand new. Remove all the factory oil, use my own CLP and get any machining particles out. Better to know it's clean than assume it's clean.

And I clean after I shoot, every single time, regardless of how many rounds were shot.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: 2cool

If I'm going to haul around something the size and weight of a rifle I want rifle power coming out the small end.

I do have a pistol cal carbine (Uzi) and it's a blast to shoot. But it's the last long arm I'd pick up if given the choice between that or any of my rifles or shotgun.

I would use the Uzi before any of the pistols, assuming the gunfight I'm involved in isn't taking place inside a phone booth.

BSW

You can't really compare a 9mm carbine to a .357 carbine. A .357 carbine is a very nice addition for most folks and plenty powerful for two legged predators at around the house and yard ranges. Only drawback it the platform isn't as good at defense as modern autoloaders like the AR. It's not all drawbacks. No mags to buy, store and prove. Gun is light and slim and easily packed. No comparing the bulk of my AR vs my 1894. Ammo commonality if you have .357 revolvers. Can take deer sized game at decent ranges. Can change ammo and hunt small game. Not everything has to be tactical to be effective. Old school has a lot going for it.

Hey Tom, If you tear down the 870 do as others have suggested and test fire/function check before stowing. Just open up a loaded shell and remove the shot - wad - AND POWDER so you can just step out on that back porch to squeeze off a test round without the boom. I also load primer only rounds in guns used while training newbies, best - safest way to teach trigger discipline in my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back