First Time Gun Owner - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a new years resolution to move forward on purchasing a gun. I've got two small children, so a handgun was out of the question. We decided to get a rifle or shotgun (as well as a rifle safe). The purchase is for protection but also wanted to use it for recreation, so I've been looking at some of the combo packs you can get with shotguns:

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-Model-870-Express-PumpAction-Shotgun-Combo/product/10217898/

I've done a lot of research on Mossberg vs Remington. We were looking for a good entry level shotgun (price) but also highly reliable and well made. We're looking at a 20 gauge so the wife can handle it too. I'm signed up at our local NRA for Rifle Safety and two classes on Basic Defensive Shotgun. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Get a .22 rifle. A locked up shotgun is going to do little for your protection. May as well have something cheap to learn on.

I had both long guns and handguns in the house when my son was young. You can secure either in a tall safe. Nothing wrong with a shotgun for home use. A long gun safe takes longer to open, as does removing a trigger lock. Don't thing that having children means you can safely have a handgun. There are rapid access small safes for that are faster than a vault type gun safe for access.

I have and older mossburg 500 pump i like it, the remington looks nice.

Here is a handgun safe to consider.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246722/...-x-5-x-12-black

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/270072/...-x-8-x-14-black

A locked up firearm, no matter what flavor, is no use at all for home protection. The biometric type handgun vaults are worth a look.

Unless you commit to enough regular training to be proficient with a handgun a shotgun is probably your best bet. How you secure it but keep it accessible on a moment's notice is the thing. The last thing you want is to try to quickly enter a code in the middle of the night when you hear glass break and your wife is screaming.

A 20 gauge youth model and good on you for doing the classes.

870 is a good inexpensive reliable pump and easy to operate. Get the purpose built black model with smooth barrel. Also pick up some buckshot. You can also get an extra rifled slug barrel and hunt with it too for pretty cheap.

Always keep feed tube loaded and a round not racked. I guarantee if some tweaked up crack clown starts messing with your window or door his highly tuned criminal sonar will detect the distinctive sound a pump makes when you rack a round with authority. ...he will turn around and live another day. And you wont have a mess on your hands.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
870 is a good inexpensive reliable pump and easy to operate. Get the purpose built black model with smooth barrel. Also pick up some buckshot. You can also get an extra rifled slug barrel and hunt with it too for pretty cheap.

Always keep feed tube loaded and a round not racked. I guarantee if some tweaked up crack clown starts messing with your window or door his highly tuned criminal sonar will detect the distinctive sound a pump makes when you rack a round with authority. ...he will turn around and live another day. And you wont have a mess on your hands.

This is my thinking precisely. I don't hunt, but would like to learn (turkey or small game). Plus, I could use it for skeet shooting (I have a few friends who go).

12ga is fine. If your wife has medical problems or some other issue thay prevents using it with regular ammo, some of the reduced recoil LE buckshot out there is lighter recoil than a typical 20ga. You simply have the option to use more effective ammo.

Turkey requires a rather tight choke. Get one thay isn't a fixed barrel in that case.

Don't count on scaring anyone with the sound of your shotgun. Plenty of people get shot because they attack police officers when they can SEE thay they have a firearm.

Last edited:
Get a Henry repeating rifle in .22. A ton of fun, accurate, looks cool. It's a great rifle to introduce your kids to shooting with.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Get a Henry repeating rifle in .22. A ton of fun, accurate, looks cool. It's a great rifle to introduce your kids to shooting with.

I've been thinking about those as well.

Sounds like you are a beginner. I suggest you stop by your local gunshop and inquire about firearm safety training. If you are not familiar with firearm safety, you shouldn't be training anyone.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
Sounds like you are a beginner. I suggest you stop by your local gunshop and inquire about firearm safety training. If you are not familiar with firearm safety, you shouldn't be training anyone.

Did you read my first post?

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

Sorry, missed the last sentence. Good luck. I don't know how old your son is, but a Henry might be a tad big for him. There are "youth" rifles" available for smaller kids.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

Sorry, missed the last sentence. Good luck. I don't know how old your son is, but a Henry might be a tad big for him. There are "youth" rifles" available for smaller kids.

No worries. My oldest is 6, so it will be some time before I would introduce him to guns (with a NRA safety class first).

Get a 12 Gauge. You can pick up an 870 for $275 if you watch for sales. Do not consider anything except a 12 Gauge You can't shoot clays a 20 ga.

Keep control of the shells and don't lock it up.

How many small children can figure out the safety systems on a 1911 without help, or have the strength to work the slide? A revolver, on the other hand, is just too easy to work.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
How many small children can figure out the safety systems on a 1911 without help, or have the strength to work the slide?

I bet there are plenty in Roxbury that could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back