Mossberg 590 Mariner Marinecote 12GA 3" Pump Shotgun (20") - $589

Saw this advertised in the Gundeals newsletter, and remembered @billt460 posting a few years ago about the Remington Police Marine Magnum, how good of a job he did describing that shotgun, and I've wanted one ever since! Unfortunately, nobody ever has one! Well, I haven't looked that much lately. But I know they're quite a bit more $$$ than this Mossberg.

I've read that the Remington has a forged steel receiver, while the Mossberg 590's receiver is aluminum.

Is $589 a good deal on the Mossberg? From the small amount of research I did, the Mossberg usually goes for around $700-750, and the Remington Police Marine Magnums are around $1000 when you can find one.

You're correct on those prices. Guns have gone off the chart..... When you can find them. $589.00 isn't a bad deal on that Mossberg. Especially today with things the way they are. I have a 590 A-1 Mil-Spec, and I think I paid right around $6 and change for it. And that was a few years ago.

The Aluminum receiver on the Mossberg 500 series is good to go. And their Marinecoat finish is very durable. There is a lot of emphasis placed on steel receivers on repeating shotguns.

While steel is very durable, it really isn't necessary in a pump, or an autoloading shotgun receiver, because the bolt locks up into a lug, that's machined into the tang of the barrel. The stress point is steel on steel. The receiver basically just holds everything together, and it's not exposed to any additional stress upon firing.

Beretta, Benelli, Mossberg, and several others are all utilizing Aluminum receivers in their repeating shotguns today. About the only steel receivers still being produced are by Remington. And I'm not sure if they're building guns any longer, since they went into bankruptcy. Even Browning has gone with aluminum in their "new" Auto V model.

You're correct on those prices. Guns have gone off the chart..... When you can find them. $589.00 isn't a bad deal on that Mossberg. Especially today with things the way they are. I have a 590 A-1 Mil-Spec, and I think I paid right around $6 and change for it. And that was a few years ago.

The Aluminum receiver on the Mossberg 500 series is good to go. And their Marinecoat finish is very durable. There is a lot of emphasis placed on steel receivers on repeating shotguns.

While steel is very durable, it really isn't necessary in a pump, or an autoloading shotgun receiver, because the bolt locks up into a lug, that's machined into the tang of the barrel. The stress point is steel on steel. The receiver basically just holds everything together, and it's not exposed to any additional stress upon firing.

Beretta, Benelli, Mossberg, and several others are all utilizing Aluminum receivers in their repeating shotguns today. About the only steel receivers still being produced are by Remington. And I'm not sure if they're building guns any longer, since they went into bankruptcy. Even Browning has gone with aluminum in their "new" Auto V model.
Good info. Thanks.

I might grab one of the Mossberg Mariners, as I don’t have a really good “regular” pump shotgun (I have a 1980s vintage Maverick 88, and I have a KSG).

I don't see how you can go wrong at that price. The Mossberg pumps are all proven performers. Given just minimal care and lubrication those guns will outlive their owners.

The 20" barrel is nice as well because of the extra magazine capacity. You're looking at a full 9 rounds of 2-3/4" with one in the pipe.

I have both 870's and 500/590's and I'd pick the Mossberg any day..

If you'd rather have 3 guns for $600 Maverick 88 is impossible to beat for the money.

That's a really good price on that Maverick 88 in that link, ($208.00). That's what I paid for the Mossberg 500 in the photo, (the gun on the bottom). However it came with an additional 28" vented rib, modified choke barrel. But today $208.00 is a hell of a buy. The upper gun in the photo is a Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec with a 20" barrel.

GOPDbmc.jpg

That's a really good price on that Maverick 88 in that link, ($208.00). That's what I paid for the Mossberg 500 in the photo, (the gun on the bottom). However it came with an additional 28" vented rib, modified choke barrel. But today $208.00 is a hell of a buy. The upper gun in the photo is a Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec with a 20" barrel.

GOPDbmc.jpg
I think I paid $149 for my field barrel 88 at academy 8ish years ago. I bought one of my friends the 8 shot 88 as a wedding gift and he likes it.

My first Mossberg was a 8 shot pistol grip 500. I put a standard Hogue stock set on it and bought a 28in field barrel for it from Mossberg. Made for a funny looking turkey gun, but it worked. That was a long plug to get it down to 2 shot capacity! I think I paid more for the barrel/stock than I did for the Maverick 88.

To the OP You'll like the marine coat 590. I've always wanted one in marine coat but its never happened.. Only 590 I have is the shockwave so not a high round count through that one..

Back