Finally quit smoking... for real this time!

Not looking for recognition or congrats, I just thought I'd share both for those that have quit and those that are struggling. I'm currently 33 and about 2 months ago decided that after 16 years of a pack or more a day habit that enough was enough.

I've been down this road before, as many have, but something about this felt different. I haven't exactly taken the "cold turkey" approach, I will still partake in a smoke once or twice a week while out and about however I've found even those occasions less and less desirable as the weeks go on. I admit, I have jumped on the vape train in order to quell the cravings but I prefer that to what I left behind.

I've come to take pride in the little pleasures that accompany quitting: my sense of smell and taste have started to come back, my breathing is already improving, and needless to say my personal hygiene has taken a turn for the better in regards to smell. Also, during this time almost every smoker around me has quit (not organized). Avoiding the trigger has proven to be the greatest benefit of all.

So, to all those who've quit or are thinking of quitting, although the battle may be constant there is always victory in sight.

I once taught a smoking cessation class but I quit after a few months. Couldn't get anybody to continue with the program (American Lung Association). It wasn't my presentation or the course but the motivation of the attendees was sub-optimal. Can't quit if the drive isn't there.

Stick with it !4Accent!

Any tips or tricks? How was the gum or patches for you?

No gum, no patches. Tried both, they both made me sick. Chantix as well, horrible.

Honestly, I started by just leaving my pack of smokes in my toolbox at work. I stopped bringing them home, stopped having a smoke or 3 on lunch, and told myself one week that once that pack was done that was it.

Quiting was a good choice. At 16 pack years you're on the verge of significant health problems due to smoking.

And your risk of lung cancer will start dropping after a year. Wait, what did he just say!

The association between smoking and lung cancer is (strangely enough) higher in the first year after quitting smoking. But not to fear, that's only a statistical anomaly. Most people with lung cancer find it pretty easy to quit smoking. Or as the old saying goes, there are lies, ****ed lies and statistics.

Good Luck!! its your will against an addiction that nicotine is + like grains + sugars you WILL be better without it, not to mentions todays cost $$$

I quit in 2017 haven't had a cig since. I keep the 2mg mini lozenges and pop one when stressed or driving lono distances. I like the equate brand cherry flavor. I now taste and smell things 1000% better. It is extremely hard to quit, but its worth it. The company I work for gives people a significant price reduction for our health care premiums which alone is 1500 a year. Stay with it, and if you slip no big deal keep working on it. Good luck to you.

Good luck and a good decision you made. The longer you stay quit the easier it gets. Soon you will be able to stop the vape too. None of that stuff is good for you. I smoked a pack and a half every day for 22 years. I quit cold turkey in December 2003. Haven't had one since and don't miss it at all. Take it one day at a time. You will get to a point where it does not matter any more and you will not crave it. Good luck to you.

One of the hardest things to do.
Stay strong.

I used peer pressure and pride to help me.

Almost everyone I know, who has quit, say they knew they made it when they had a dream about smoking and woke up coughing.
I had the dream.

I quit smoking over 37 years ago………just stopped. Back then, everyone smoked. Now it’s so rare, I actually notice them!
Gotta tell you though………to this day when I smell a cigarette, I crave one!

Back