Going to Baltimore and Washington D.C. This Summer. Looking for Hotel Recommendations.

I wonder if there is a forum member in the area who could put you up at their home?

001_kHif1567kcgzaYjkm5zTy6.jpg
Last I recall, this forum member had a static rv parked on his driveway. Looks like a special opportunity, he gets motivated to freshen it up, and you can pay him the same rate that he pays for motels when he is on road trips...

From Roanoke, IMO, your best bet is 81 to 66 to get to DC. Once you're near DC, it's all about how traffic is treating you that day. Same with Baltimore.

Use Waze and take it all in stride.

When I travelled for work I stayed at Hilton properties exclusively. I don't think I ever stayed at a bad one, however, I'm sure they're out there. Hilton Garden Inn was my first choice because almost all of them had a restaurant and then based on price after that, usually that's a Hampton. I have stayed in Home 2 Suites and they're nice as well. I made the switch from Choice Hotels to Hilton because I felt the stays were consistently better.
A lot of the old Hampton's are over-sprayed with air freshner. I think there skimping on cleaning like everyone else. Been a Hilton Diamond for a decade. Used to only do Hamptons. Now its hit or miss. FWIW all the Hamptons down here are franchises, so it might be better in locations that are corporate owned.

Tru or Home2Suites are new, and much better if you can find them (also Hilton). Somehow Holiday Inn Express has improved if you can find a new one - yes hard to believe i know.

Personally, I would spring for the hotel at the stadium, so you won't need transport, just wonder on over, have a few brews, wonder on home. For a few bucks extra sounds like a winner to me.

Sounds like a good time whichever way.

I was in a La Quinta last year and the hotel smelled of carpet cleaner.

The place was very clean and in a good neighborhood.

I’m not expecting the Ritz Carlton @ $125 per night….

I stay at the Hampton Inn Navy Yard SE DC regularly. The rooftop bar looks directly into the stadium. It’s a decent area and it’s easy enough to get into the city. Parking has become really $$$

I hear that Baltimore is really unsafe. But it has to get better sometime. I’d look for a hotel in inner harbor or at Camden Yards.

Honestly the two are close enough you may be better served staying somewhere halfway like Laurel, and just using metro to get to dc, and drive to the game in Baltimore.

I don’t have anything to offer for hotel choices as I haven’t been to Camden Yards since I was 12 or so. I just wanted to say it’s a cool thing you are doing to do to try and see all the stadiums. I think I’ve been to 7 current stadiums myself. Have fun!

I live in the Baltimore area and make a regular run to Western South Carolina. I always take 81 to Winchester, then 7=>340=>70 East. You can also stay on 81 to Hagerstown and pick up 70 there. It's further, but weekend traffic through Harpers Ferry can be frustrating. Stay off of 95 if you possibly can. Hotels: For Baltimore, consider staying in Hunt Valley. You can take the light rail downtown, and if you're feeling adventurous (or just hate driving around DC) you could take a train to Washington. I have no suggestions for DC hotels. The only time I stay overnight in the area is on my employers dime, and it's insanely expensive.

Bonus: If you are in Hunt Valley on a Saturday morning, there is a really good Cars & Coffee that starts around sunrise an runs until mid-morning.

I live in the Baltimore area and make a regular run to Western South Carolina. I always take 81 to Winchester, then 7=>340=>70 East. You can also stay on 81 to Hagerstown and pick up 70 there. It's further, but weekend traffic through Harpers Ferry can be frustrating. Stay off of 95 if you possibly can. Hotels: For Baltimore, consider staying in Hunt Valley. You can take the light rail downtown, and if you're feeling adventurous (or just hate driving around DC) you could take a train to Washington. I have no suggestions for DC hotels. The only time I stay overnight in the area is on my employers dime, and it's insanely expensive.

Bonus: If you are in Hunt Valley on a Saturday morning, there is a really good Cars & Coffee that starts around sunrise a runs until mid-morning.
Is 95 really that bad? How could we get from 70 to I-395 to get to the stadium? Our parking is a couple turns off I-395.

Is 95 really that bad? How could we get from 70 to I-395 to get to the stadium? Our parking is a couple turns off I-395.
I was thinking more of your drive up from Roanoke. 95 and 495 around DC are always a nightmare for me but maybe my timing is just bad. 95 near Baltimore isn't too terrible.

To get to 395: 70E to 695 to 95 to 395.

I was thinking more of your drive up from Roanoke. 95 and 495 around DC are always a nightmare for me but maybe my timing is just bad. 95 near Baltimore isn't too terrible.

To get to 395: 70E to 695 to 95 to 395.
That’s good to know. We will be stopping in DC first. Then head to Baltimore that Thursday for the Friday game then leave on Saturday.

Does that place even have parking?
It's permanently closed now.
Rumor Mill has-it the hotel was a couple blocks and closest to the White House. With the worry of drones nowadays, well.... now you know the rest of the story. Sounds like they got visited by the Feds and were forced to stop tourist accommodations /activities there.

On the hotel, I always liked Bethesda MD. Here’s the oddity, seems $300/night now?

It’s 40 miles from the Orioles and 25 from the Nationals. I admit that it would seem the price is too high for me in 2024. But 2018-2019 it worked….

2023 we stayed in northern VA to save a little. I’ll do a Fairfield Inn level of hotel.

On the hotel, I always liked Bethesda MD. Here’s the oddity, seems $300/night now?

It’s 40 miles from the Orioles and 25 from the Nationals. I admit that it would seem the price is too high for me in 2024. But 2018-2019 it worked….

2023 we stayed in northern VA to save a little. I’ll do a Fairfield Inn level of hotel.
I’m not familiar with Fairfield Inn I’ve seen them around, are they on the same level as say Candlewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Best Western, Holiday Inn , etc.

I’m not familiar with Fairfield Inn I’ve seen them around, are they on the same level as say Candlewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Best Western, Holiday Inn , etc.
Yes, a lot like Hampton.

Here’s where we stayed in VA, quite affordable. 18 miles from Nationals and 48 miles from Orioles.

McLean / Tyson’s Corner VA seems to be affordable, low to mid $100’s, and a nice area. Also, seems most hotels in the DC area charge for parking…

Yes, a lot like Hampton.

Here’s where we stayed in VA, quite affordable. 18 miles from Nationals and 48 miles from Orioles.

McLean / Tyson’s Corner VA seems to be affordable, low to mid $100’s, and a nice area. Also, seems most hotels in the DC area charge for parking…

We have had good luck with Courtyard Marriott in the past so definitely will keep that in mind. We stayed at a Courtyard Marriott in Pittsburgh last year that was really nice.

Back