Finally time to retire

Just told the chief pilot I'm leaving. I've talked about this here before, but finally talked openly with the chief pilot today, and despite some rather heated arguments on other matters, he mentioned that he is working on additional personnel, to work with, and eventually replace me when I leave. I'm in my early 60's, and it's time. I have multiple autoimmune issues, and I am slow and tired. Made a real mistake the other day, which was not good. First time for that, ugh. I want to finish out my career without problems.

I'm overwhelmed and I've let it be known, both via email and verbally. So to me, it's a bit of contentious retirement. However, objectively, it's time. I am very slow.

The way I see it, (if they don't let me go first) I could leave at the end of the year, or end of May. As our flight department winters in Florida, where I live and the work load is lighter, as in NORMAL, not easy.

I need to propose a retirement letter, in my typical no fluff style

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! Early 60s is old enough to collect SS. Be your best friend. You're not as well as you'd hoped. Retirement isn't quitting. Well, it is quitting, but hopefully, you've prepared for this day. Most people do not regret retiring. Health and time is way more important than money.

Just told the chief pilot I'm leaving. I've talked about this here before, but finally talked openly with the chief pilot today, and despite some rather heated arguments on other matters, he mentioned that he is working on additional personnel, to work with, and eventually replace me when I leave. I'm in my early 60's, and it's time. I have multiple autoimmune issues, and I am slow and tired. Made a real mistake the other day, which was not good. First time for that, ugh. I want to finish out my career without problems.

I'm overwhelmed and I've let it be known, both via email and verbally. So to me, it's a bit of contentious retirement. However, objectively, it's time. I am very slow.

The way I see it, (if they don't let me go first) I could leave at the end of the year, or end of May. As our flight department winters in Florida, where I live and the work load is lighter, as in NORMAL, not easy.

I need to propose a retirement letter, in my typical no BS, no fluff style

Suggestions?
Retirement letter- simple. Everything in the letter is a positive. Simple letter. Leave on a positive. Leave sooner than later so you can best control your destiny.

I am scheduled to retire summer 2024. I was asked to stay on for two years past identified retirement. This requires multiple levels of approval, and not sure the two year retirement extension will be approved. So I am in a limbo. Lesson learned, I should have locked in the earliest retirement date- so I could have best planned my next chapter. Note retirement for me simply means a next chapter, I will seek and obtain full time employment, and plan to work full time as long as I can be of a benefit to an organization.

IIRC- you are into high performance vehicles/ racing. Lots of next chapters for you that involve those activities in Florida. I suspect you will in fact not retire, but will have a next chapter in a rekindled passion of yours.

Last edited:
Good for you! Early 60s is old enough to collect SS. Be your best friend. You're not as well as you'd hoped. Retirement isn't quitting. Well, it is quitting, but hopefully, you've prepared for this day. Most people do not regret retiring. Health and time is way more important than money.
Thanks, The statement "I'm not as well as I had hoped" is a gem, I'll use it.

You are being very responsible. In my case, the company was being bought out and split up. They encouraged anyone who wanted to to take a layoff. I was 66 or 67, I forget. I gladly took the layoff and payout and entered retirement. I left the door open to consulting, but quickly realized there was no reason beyond the intellectual challenge.

I would talk to your direct report and ask what makes sense from their point of view. If possible, find the balance. A retirement letter is a simple document:
  • A formal statement of your intention to retire,
  • An expression of gratitude for the years you have worked with the company, (optional)
  • Start and end dates for your position, and,
  • Contact information for follow-up questions.

Do you WANT to retire or are you doing it for medical reasons? If you're "slow and tired" can the cause be found and treated? Early 60's should put you at the top of your game, not in a rocking chair.
Yes, and I'm planning to go out on top. 1.5 years to go...

Cujet, I am with you, I am going to retire in another year I am in my mid 60’s. I believe you know now is the time. Very sorry to hear about some of your health issues, may as well enjoy the rest of your life doing what makes yo happy.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. My retirement came on the advice of my doctor. My feet and ankles were ready. Almost 4 yrs later my feet are better. Everyone has a different trigger to retire. Again Congrats

Do you WANT to retire or are you doing it for medical reasons? If you're "slow and tired" can the cause be found and treated? Early 60's should put you at the top of your game, not in a rocking chair.
I have cyclical extreme fatigue due to Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (it is like Lupus) and Hashimoto's. I also have severe adrenal insufficiency due to a pituitary tumor. Nothing hurts, so there is that. But muscles simply stop working after some use, and I get stupidly tired and crash hard.

The treatment is T3 thyroid 6x/day (I don't convert T4 to T3 so can't take Synthroid), Prednisone to suppress immune reactions, and Hydrocortisone 3x/day to cover the lack of cortisol (rapidly life threatening if I don't take either T3 or Hydrocortisone)

Other treatments could include various chemotherapy drugs to suppress immune function and/or Hydroxychloroquine. Not much hope for a cure. I'm already on a meat only paleo diet to keep inflammation and immune fluctuations at bay. It does help, but is not a cure.

Back