Finally time to retire

I know that you aren't supposed to do exit interviews
I only recently came across this idea; watched a video on it, which basically pointed out there was nothing to be gained, and plenty to lose, by doing them. Makes me wonder though, isn't there a risk of losing something? I've seen a number of people come back to the company I work out, so wouldn't refusing to do an exit interview be akin to burning the bridge? [Yeah I know, HR would be foolish to hold it against someone, if someone is qualified for the job and a good fit, using this refusal as a reason to not hire.]

I only recently came across this idea; watched a video on it, which basically pointed out there was nothing to be gained, and plenty to lose, by doing them. Makes me wonder though, isn't there a risk of losing something? I've seen a number of people come back to the company I work out, so wouldn't refusing to do an exit interview be akin to burning the bridge? [Yeah I know, HR would be foolish to hold it against someone, if someone is qualified for the job and a good fit, using this refusal as a reason to not hire.]
Simple answer is no. Exit interviews are voluntary, not mandatory. If an employee had value to the company they will more than likely have value upon a possible return.

I retired at 55 years of age and medical coverage for me was our households biggest expenses until I read Medicare age. I spent the better part of $25,000 on medical insurance.
That's one of my fears. Early 50s now and trying to sort all this out. I can retire in 3 years but I won't, I'm not ready to reign in my lifestyle, and my health is pretty good, I can leave the office now and go ride my bicycle 50 miles no problem. Yeah I have some issues but nothing big, one of my liver enzymes is pretty consistently out of whack, so I got a liver doctor, but he's not too concerned and encourages me to keep doing endurance bicycling.

We take 4-5 trips a year and I don't know that my retirement income would be enough to support that lifestyle. If anything I'd like to up that number of trips per year. Go to the 5* all inclusive for a long weekend anytime I/we feel like it. That means work. I'm good with the tradeoff as long as my health is good.

I am enjoying this thread immensely!

I'm thinking I might like to make a little money after I have retired. For those of you that have retired and have paying side gigs, what are they if you don't mind me asking? (y)

All 9 pages - learned some things.

In my case since I had a kid late (45) that figures into things too. No way it can't. I plan on having enough invested to pay for 100% of college at an in-state public university. My parents did the same for me, and for my sister. I helped defer some of the costs with athletic scholarships.

If my child wants to go out of state or private (read: break the bank type place) we'll have to look some more at what we can do. My parents did not pay for my sister's MBA school at the same state university she went to undergrad at, although, I'm sure that debt is long since retired with her jet-set position at one of the world's most well known companies.

I'm thinking I might like to make a little money after I have retired. For those of you that have retired and have paying side gigs, what are they if you don't mind me asking? (y)
I have two that started a few years ago that I will be able to do whenever I want to now. I help deliver parts for a large dealership where I can get a substantial discount on parts and service. I also offer up my driver training services for a couple large "performance" venues/corporations nearby. Make a little pocket change there, but have way more fun. Use what ya know or like to do and work on YOUR terms, not anyone else's

One of my old bosses retired and now works for Hertz. He shuttles cars between locations to even out stock supply. He has a crew of like 8 that he works with but all part time. I forget what he said minimum hours/days he has to do. He lives on Long Island but has a house in FL also. He goes to FL for a couple months and then does the same down there to keep busy.

Worst part is dealing with traffic he says. Some days he only works like 3 hours depending what has to be moved where.

Another one drives for Uber just to get out, talk to people and does it when he wants.

If any person retires with a nice amount of cash saved for retirement, they still have to stay mentally ‘healthy’ and not be watching TV all day.

I know some folks in healthcare working 2 days a week just to stay busy.

I also believe that people who have worked in highly paced professions like firefighting and or police work or other types of jobs… If they go from full go and full rabbit to a complete total stop… They often die quickly after retiring.
I will be in that scenario. To go from fast paced healthcare, stemi cases in the middle of the night, weekend emergency echmo cases, to being retired.
I figured I have about 5-6 years left of work.

I think you are right also about the physiological part of it. Being needed, being an important part of a team, whether it's fire , police , healthcare, to just being at home puttering.

Hard to go from that extreme, and not get depressed and feeling not useful or needed anymore.

It seems there are a lot of LEO suicides after retirement.

Ha, don't feel badly. If I've put up with my boss all these years, I absolutely won't be offended at truthful and helpful comments. In fact, I read the same studies, and I've come to the same conclusion. I'd best retire before it's too late to enjoy what remains of my life.

The good news is, nothing hurts. I might have a little arthritis, and I did blow out my knee turning around in a 2 foot ocean wave last year. But knee seems to have healed up OK. I have complete empathy for people who are fatigued like I am, and in pain. That's horrible beyond words.

Writing the retirement email today and will have it ready to send.

CUJET!

Your last post on this subject was almost eight weeks ago.

Are you finally retired? If so, how’s it going so far?

If you’re not retired, then why not?

I'm chiming in again as the outlier of the constant recommendation to retire as early as possible. If your personal, home, marriage, financial and/or physical/mental health situation is such that working provides positive outcome, by all means don't feel compelled to retire due to peer pressure. It's a very narrow fence to balance on, but I have been told that I will "know/get a feeling" when I am really ready to retire.

Don't listen to people that say they know someone that worked until 68, retired, and then died 3 months later. Or, they retired and their health went terribly downhill, with both cases implying they should have retired earlier. My doctor (72) says he sees vibrant men retire and then go downhill quickly because they lacked the skills to navigate retirement. Live your life the way you choose and without regrets - no one can predict the future and just try to move forward, learning from past mistakes.

My final year or two of my career is the best yet. I don't fret about the "details". I'm comfortable and confident in my shoes. I'm in control of my own destiny (within reason). I can (and do) call out my supervisors when necessary, with increased transparency. Beyond essential responsibilities, I can direct my work efforts (satisfaction) as I please (autonomy). I can leave at the drop of a dime if I choose. I can let things into one ear and out the other. Let troubles slide off my back like water on a duck. I also get HUGE satisfaction mentoring associates to hopefully pass on some work/life wisdom as my legacy. I'm in a very good place continuing to work past 66.

One of my old bosses retired and now works for Hertz. He shuttles cars between locations to even out stock supply. He has a crew of like 8 that he works with but all part time. I forget what he said minimum hours/days he has to do. He lives on Long Island but has a house in FL also. He goes to FL for a couple months and then does the same down there to keep busy.

Worst part is dealing with traffic he says. Some days he only works like 3 hours depending what has to be moved where.

Another one drives for Uber just to get out, talk to people and does it when he wants.

Reminds me of one of my potential "dream" retirement jobs which is driving the new cars off the boat and into the port.

CUJET!

Your last post on this subject was almost eight weeks ago.

Are you finally retired? If so, how’s it going so far?

If you’re not retired, then why not?
March 31st or thereabouts. The time frame works for everyone. Still not sure how to come to terms with the unreal number of unused vacation weeks.

Currently have shingles and not feeling well. I'm at home trying to recover. Maybe I'll have some residual problems (post herpetic neuralgia), as the extensive Right hand side pain remains unchanged, despite the rash healing.

Back