Finally got my Takata airbag replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a notice from BMW that "Final Remedy Available" and to "Immediately" contact my authorized Dealer to get it replace. When I contacted the dealer with my vin they told me that they dont have the parts. I read the letter and dealer tried to tell me that I was reading the letter incorrectly.I asked what part of and I quote"Please contact your authorized BMW center immediately to schedule an appointment to have this important free repair performed as soon as possible" They asked me to bring the letter so they could see it. The SA read it in front of me and said again I was reading it wrong. I told him no problem I would contact BMW NA and let them know. Well guess what, they said they would order the part for me. The car was repaired, but I am a little frustrated that dealer was saying I was reading final remedy notice wrong. I do understand that this was a massive recall but to say I was reading notice incorrectly not once but twice is a little silly. Glad car is fixed but could do without the drama.

Ford dealer did not want to replace my wife's air bag components untill they had both sides available. She called FORD and they called the dealer. She had the drivers side replaced the next day. Now she is waiting on the passenger side....

Last edited:
Nice that it was done.

I bought an Elantra. First week it had a brake booster recall. I was aware of it since a Tech posted it on a forum. When I called to schedule I was told they would need to replace it on all the cars on lot first. When I bought mine they had 204 Elantras. I called Hyundai Customer care. They had no problem scheduling me right away.

So, maybe he was giving you the run around for whatever reason. Sad.

The whole Takata recall is a giant Charlie Foxtrot. Customers will receive letters telling them that there is a recall and they will be notified that parts are available and over a year later no update letter and no parts availability. Mazda had the CX-7 and 9 passenger side airbags recalled but then had to have us quarantine and send back all the parts because they were replacing them with the same non updated part.

Ford has a recall on latches where we can't order the parts. We were seed stocked and are only sent replacement parts on a one for one basis when repair order is submitted to Ford and closed on their end. Do you realize how stupid I look telling people that?

I was actually very impressed how efficiently my local Acura dealer handled the recalls on our two vehicles. I'm sure it was nuttier earlier in the campaign.

At least in January, there were tall stacks of airbag boxes with customer names written on them in piles that must have been grouped by year and model as far as I could see into the parts area. They seemed to wisely view the recall as an opportunity to re-engage with prior and potential service/sales customers.

I replaced mine on Mazda

I called a dealship and they ordered the parts

After one month I was ready for the replacement

They wanted to sell some more, I politely declined it

Couldn't be more happier!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The whole Takata recall is a giant Charlie Foxtrot. Customers will receive letters telling them that there is a recall and they will be notified that parts are available and over a year later no update letter and no parts availability. Mazda had the CX-7 and 9 passenger side airbags recalled but then had to have us quarantine and send back all the parts because they were replacing them with the same non updated part.

Ford has a recall on latches where we can't order the parts. We were seed stocked and are only sent replacement parts on a one for one basis when repair order is submitted to Ford and closed on their end. Do you realize how stupid I look telling people that?

The Takata recall is massive, and has taken an unbelievable amount of work to provide replacement parts. I work for one of Takata's competitors, and we are building replacement parts for several of the auto manufacturers. We have had to reverse engineer parts to be direct replacements for Takata parts, using our designs so as to eliminate the inherent risk in the Takata design. Then we have had to design, fabricate, install, and qualify multiple production cells to build millions of replacement parts. And the auto manufacturers wanted all of this in record time.

This is entirely different than designing and tooling up for a new car, with a realistic schedule laid out from being awarded the contract to launch. Instead, it had to be shoehorned in between all of those types of business activities.

So, yea. It's been slow compared to what the customers want and deserve.

I was in no rush to get my Honda fixed, because I knew plenty of old-school Takata parts were still in the pipeline. Sure enough, the headlines are coming out now that some "new" Takata airbag replacements have the same issues. Since one of the original problems was that the airbags lacked proper date and version information, this was inevitable. (Takata's total lack of record keeping was the reason they didn't initially comply to the recall; they couldn't. They had no way of tracking anything that went out the door, because they had never kept the required production information. Recall could only mean "everything" and that could only mean bankruptcy, which is exactly what happened.)

I got two separate recall notices, driver's and passenger's airbags, almost a year apart, so there was never any issues of the dealer trying to double up visits. I think many dealers are happy to get people in twice, twice as many chances to upsell services.

My local Honda dealer handled everything professionally, I politely turned down some reasonable offers of maintenance (VTM fluid, oil change, ATF change, front brakes), and quickly proceeded to do them all myself. They were not overdue, just due.

My friend and his mom got a letter from Subaru saying they needed to get the passenger side inflators replaced. Unlike Honda, Subaru actually had the parts ready within a month. I talked to the local dealer and they said they've already handled 80% of their customer base who was recalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back