Filter size: yesteryear vs today

I change mine every 3-4K and have noticed idle oil pressure to drop by 2-3 psi after a few thousand miles, even when using the Genuine Mopar filter.
Oil pressure dropping a few PSI at idle after 1000 miles on the oil is from the oil viscosity changing from use, not the filter loading up. The PD oil pump is still moving the same volume of oil at idle regardless of the filter loading or oil viscosity changes. And highly doubt the pump is in pressure relief at idle. If the the oil temperature and flow volume is constant, and the oil pressure goes down, then the viscosity had to go down from some shearing.

Oil pressure dropping a few PSI at idle after 1000 miles on the oil is from the oil viscosity changing from use, not the filter loading up. The PD oil pump is still moving the same volume of oil at idle regardless of the filter loading or oil viscosity changes. And highly doubt the pump is in pressure relief at idle. If the the oil temperature and flow volume is constant, and the oil pressure goes down, then the viscosity had to go down from some shearing.
My recent UOA showed the ending oil viscosity to be virtually unchanged from its virgin state.

Last edited:
My recent UOA showed the ending oil viscosity to be virtually unchanged from its virgin state.

You have a virgin oil UOA on the same bottle?

Since your truck is a 2020, I'm assuming it has a variable displacement oil pump? How it it controlled by the computer if so?

You have a virgin oil UOA on the same bottle?

Since your truck is a 2020, I'm assuming it has a variable displacement oil pump? How it it controlled by the computer if so?
I’m going by this:

The fill in my sample was SN+ and was from around the same timeframe.

The pressure drop issue with filters in HEMI and late model LS applications is somewhat of a known issue with TSB’s published on it. It is a real issue. The root causes of it are unknown, so I wouldn’t go as far as indirectly saying that it is an impossible issue.

I’m going by this:

The fill in my sample was SN+ and was from around the same timeframe.

The pressure drop issue with filters in HEMI and late model LS applications is somewhat of a known issue with TSB’s published on it. It is a real issue. The root causes of it are unknown, so I wouldn’t go as far as indirectly saying that it is an impossible issue.
If going by that, there was a 0.2 cSt decrease. Plus, how do you know the oil temperature in you engine is always exactly the same at idle ... have an accurate digital oil temperature gauge on the dash?

Got a link to the TSB? ... I'd like to see what they say about it. I highly doubt any oil filter is going to load up in 1000 miles enough to cause any PD oil pump to hit pressure relief and drop the oil pressure at idle. Something strange going on.

BITOG is a place that by it's nature discusses and rediscusses topics ad infinitum.
I have never seen a thread on this topic until @billt460 created this one.
That leads me to believe that the supposed problem isn't widespread or a design or materials of construction issue.
That then takes us back to the user, @billt460 .
Why is the product so fundamentally flawed when he uses it but seems quite adequate for the preponderance of other members here?

And nevermind the multiple tropes that everything was better in the old days, bigger is better, thicker gage cans are better, etc.....
What a crock...
This mindset is stuck in the 1970s, where it needs to remain.
Any engineer worth his salt understands that designing a product fit for purpose is the goal of an engineering mindset, not bigger by definition is better.

Sheesh!!!

If going by that, there was a 0.2 cSt decrease. Plus, how do you know the oil temperature in you engine is always exactly the same at idle ... have an accurate digital oil temperature gauge on the dash?

Got a link to the TSB? ... I'd like to see what they say about it. I highly doubt any oil filter is going to load up in 1000 miles enough to cause any PD oil pump to hit pressure relief and drop the oil pressure at idle. Something strange going on.
Yes, my measurements have always been at the same ~220f mark. I have a digital oil temp display.

The issue is not exclusive to Amsoil. It can happen with any of the high efficiency filters. Forum members have reported the issue with other brands as well.
1650321474115.jpg

Did you C&P that filter? Visual inspection should be enough to confirm if the media is loading up or not.

Unfortunately, I did not. However, I am nearing 3K miles on a Fram Ultra and can save that one for photos.
Perfect! I C&P'd the one from my wife's 5.7:

And my 6.4L:

While both were quite dark, there wasn't any carbonaceous build-up in them, though you can see some in the bottom of the can from the 5.7L.

The oil on the 6.4L was clearly darker, even though the run was shorter. The bigger bores and performance-oriented programming I'm sure don't help.

Yes, my measurements have always been at the same ~220f mark. I have a digital oil temp display.

The issue is not exclusive to Amsoil. It can happen with any of the high efficiency filters. Forum members have reported the issue with other brands as well.
View attachment 96889

I assume AMSOIL is aware of this TSB (since they issued their own TSB about not running extended drains with the HEMI filter) but I'll tag @Pablo here so that he's aware that this Stellantis TSB exists.

I am not sure- it has something to do with the combustion process causing more carbon and soot to end up in the engine oil. I change mine every 3-4K and have noticed idle oil pressure to drop by 2-3 psi after a few thousand miles, even when using the Genuine Mopar filter.
The TSB only mentions an Amsoil filter, no mention of the Mopar OEM filter.

View attachment 96889

So have you or anyone else just changed the oil filter at 1000 miles with the same exact filter, but not change the oil, and see the oil pressure increase by a couple of PSI at idle and at the exact same oil temperature.

I just can't believe that any oil filter is clogging enough to make the oil pressure change that much at idle with a non-variable volume PD oil pump.

What's the oil pressure readings at 2000, 3000 and 4000 RPM at 1000 miles compared to the same readings (same oil temps) taken right after an oil and filter change?

I am not sure- it has something to do with the combustion process causing more carbon and soot to end up in the engine oil. I change mine every 3-4K and have noticed idle oil pressure to drop by 2-3 psi after a few thousand miles, even when using the Genuine Mopar filter.
Figured I'd post these for you here:

1. Hot at idle in gear:
C12BDBA6-1AFF-4E41-B540-12287E90CB4E_1_105_c.jpeg

2. Driving pressure going down the road:
FAE41155-7C85-43CB-AC86-EF6D2435B2E6_1_105_c.jpeg

Oil was installed November 18th, 2021 at 49,044km, so it has 5,477km on it (3,400 miles).

Back